If you had it do over again, would you upgrade to JB?

brobox

Reaction score
I am one of those that is not real happy about JB killing Foxfi as that was my most used app and have not loaded JB for that reason. For those that have loaded JB are you glad you did, or is it no big deal? I have read Motolola's hype page, but would rather hear it from real users. Is it worth loosing wifi hotspot with out rooting?

furbymac

Reaction score
I was kinda bummed when I found out Verizon took away Bluetooth tether. But a quick root and changed the permissions and I don't even need an extra app. The responsiveness of the phone is a lot better. And Google now is somewhat useful. Not something I have to have but still kinda neat.

OleManDan

Reaction score
I like JB. Its a much better system than ICS.
The answer to your problem is to adapt. Try different things as a work-around.
JB ain't going away.
FWIW: Lots of people felt the same way when they up-graded from Gingerbread to ICS.
We just had to adapt to doing things differently. I did.

Now days I use WIFI at home and work, and 4G at other locations. No Problem.
(I'm a data miser)

OP
B

brobox

Reaction score
I like JB. Its a much better system than ICS.
The answer to your problem is to adapt. Try different things as a work-around.
JB ain't going away.
FWIW: Lots of people felt the same way when they up-graded from Gingerbread to ICS.
We just had to adapt to doing things differently. I did.

Now days I use WIFI at home and work, and 4G at other locations. No Problem.
(I'm a data miser)

My situation is: I travel in a motor home 3-4 months out of the year. My Razr is my Wi-fi when I travel connecting two laptops and a tablet. If I am to adapt for my needs, I will probably have to root and with JB probably being the last update for the Razr, it would be time. Thanks for your input.

akenhart

Reaction score
I do not use foxfi so much but I might in the future. I feel that for those who need this feature JB upgrade is forcing the root issue. Change can be good so root is in my future. JB so far for me is a mixed bag.:icon_ lala:

eddie7

Reaction score
I couldn't wait to update. I went thru a lot to get it. Losing a perfectly setup Maxx. Once I got it I was not happy. The Razr does not get everything in the JB update. I really wanted the dropdown tiles for easy access to hotspot and wi-fi. And battery life has decreased a little. Seems the OS is always second in battery usage. Usually around 20%.

2razrmaxx

Reaction score
I love it . Much smoother...I hated to lose foxfi but no biggie... rooted and used sqlite method and all works like a charm.

Remember...there was all kinds of complaining when the RAZR got ICS.

Seems a lot of people have short memories.

jp233

Reaction score
drop-down tiles? Not familiar....

I use widgetsoid for quick-reach things like that though. It's on the notification bar pull-down so it can be accessed from any screen. Mine is set up for toggling Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS (which is basically a link to the GPS settings screen, still have to flip that switch ON/OFF), Data, and Sync. I use all 5 of those toggles constantly, it's really handy.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
Yea I use Power Toggles as the drop down to all the settings.

I love the update and have no regrets of going with it. I've had JB on my tablet since July 2012 so I kind of knew what to expect.

eddie7

Reaction score
If you used a device with real JB then you know the Razr got the short end of the stick. Jb has 2 pull down menus. The only thing I notice different then ICS is Google Now and a slight decrease in battery life. Not saying it's a horrible system upgrade. I just hoped it would have improved my phone.

NickNacNo

Reaction score
I also frequently used FoxFi when on ICS and really considered not updating to JB for this one reason. Eventually, I decided to take the plunge so I updated and rooted and use Wifi tether for root so I can still have a hotspot. I appreciate how much faster JB is but i'm having problems with my battery life since the update. While on ICS I would average 28 hours on a charge and JB is almost the same due to SmartActions disabling Data, Wifi, Sync, etc. when the screen is off. When the screen is "Awake" (on), however, my battery power drops rapidly. I've cleared cache and done two FDRs since the update, set brightness to auto & dim, and have nearly all of the same settings/apps that I had with ICS. Unfortunately, when using my phone it discharges at a high rate.

I don't believe the battery is bad since this changed happened immediately. I intend to go through every app at some point to see if something is zapping my power when the screen is on but I don't expect much.

Other than that JB, is wonderful IMO.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
If you used a device with real JB then you know the Razr got the short end of the stick. Jb has 2 pull down menus. The only thing I notice different then ICS is Google Now and a slight decrease in battery life. Not saying it's a horrible system upgrade. I just hoped it would have improved my phone.

My tablet does not have "pull down" menus, nor do I feel that the Razr got the short end of the stick. I am not sure what you mean by "real JB"...? The phone OS operates faster for me as compared to ICS. JB was always intended to be a small improvement over what ICS brought. GB to ICS was a major overhaul. ICS to JB was a refinement. Not sure what you were expecting? Nor did Motorola/Verizon claim it to be a overhauled OS upgrade.

There was a ton of excitement and I believe the delays and constant talk about it built the JellyBean experience to be more than what it really is. As I stated before, I knew what to expect.

Last edited:

eddie7

Reaction score
I agree about the Gb to ICS being major. And ICS to JB is not a huge step up. Iv'e never used a Zoom so I can't comment on that. I have a Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus that are both the running 4.22 JB and the Razr update looks nothing like these updates. You can't swipe down from the top right of the Zoom and access the quick toggles? And swipe down from the top left to access notifications?

Redsnk95

Reaction score
I agree about the Gb to ICS being major. And ICS to JB is not a huge step up. Iv'e never used a Zoom so I can't comment on that. I have a Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus that are both the running 4.22 JB and the Razr update looks nothing like these updates. You can't swipe down from the top right of the Zoom and access the quick toggles? And swipe down from the top left to access notifications?

No my Xoom has 4.1.2 JellyBean and does not have the swipe options you listed. Appears you are trying to compare 4.1.2 (which the Razr has) vs. 4.2.2 and honestly is not an even comparison. My Xoom will not receive any further updates beyond 4.1.2 and I am sure the Razr will be in the same boat with 4.1.2

The Xoom (WiFi version) was considered one of the first GED devices, but no more updates for it.