ICS Update Issues

Wesncc

Reaction score
So, the ICS update has been out for a while but I have yet to get it and I believe I know why.

A relative with the same phone on the plan was able to get the update but she was on version 5.5.893 or 5.7 or one of those I believe. The phone updated to ICS with NO problem at all but I cant because I think the update to my lower version is either not pushed or not supported or something.

Code:
System Version: 5.5.886.XT875.Verizon.en.US
Android version: 2.3.4
Baseband Version: CDMA_N_03.1C.50R ltedc_u_05.15.00
Webtop Version: WT-1.3.0-105_DBN-1
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-g790a33c hpn683@il93lnxdroid29 #1
Build Number: 5.5.1_84_DBN-55
My phone is completely stock, never root or anything of that sort.
So, is there a way to manually put myself on the OTA Update path? I dont want to be rooted afterwards, although I may want to be at some point but just not right now.

I've been somewhat scared to mess around with it because I dont want to void the warranty or anything which I know rooting does.

mattjenn

Reaction score
Go to settings then scroll to bottom to about phone and check for updates it should pull any updates manually that way. Did you buy your phone new from Verizon? If so you should be on official ota path. Only way to not be on ota path is if a leak was ever installed on your phone.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Some phones do not provision correctly when set up from new.
If you do the manual update & it says something like cant connect right now .
It is probably not going to ever pull the update because the sever is not seeing you're phone.
Back up everything and do a factory reset and than it will provision correctly with the server and pull the update or you can manually pull it.

OP
W

Wesncc

Reaction score
Go to settings then scroll to bottom to about phone and check for updates it should pull any updates manually that way. Did you buy your phone new from Verizon? If so you should be on official ota path. Only way to not be on ota path is if a leak was ever installed on your phone.

I bought it directly from Verizon, yes. My old Incredible was completely ****ed and was still under two year contract so I had to buy the droid bionic full price.

System Updates -> "Check for update is not available at this time. Try again later" is the message I get.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
System Updates -> "Check for update is not available at this time. Try again later" is the message I get.

Yes thats the msssage. Back your stuff up and do a factory reset.
Than you will get the update or you can pull it manually.

OP
W

Wesncc

Reaction score
Yes thats the msssage. Back your stuff up and do a factory reset.
Than you will get the update or you can pull it manually.

Yeah, a factory data reset got me on the update path. Battery life is greatly improved it seems, no more dropping of 4G either! Many thanks!

roadpizza73

Reaction score
See my post - factory reset probably not needed. I give exact directions to change an obscure setting that stops bionic from seeing Verizon updates . . .

Happy trails!

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
See my post - factory reset probably not needed. I give exact directions to change an obscure setting that stops bionic from seeing Verizon updates . . .

Happy trails!

Your method that you posted about the wifi only check box for social applications does not work for everybody.
I only heard of a few people that it worked for supposedly.
Most people the method did not work.

I was one of the people that tried your method on 3 separate bionics that I own with my company so I would not have to do a factory data reset & your method did not work.
It was while beta testing gingerbread that I was told by Motorola during the beta test how to reset the phone to be seen by the servers so I could pull the GB beta software.

The only fix Motorola came up with after looking at my account was to do a Factory data reset.

By all means try the social media wifi fix, you have nothing to loose & if it doesn't work do a factory data reset which will fix the problem.