ICS Tips and Tricks for the Razr

djembeman

Reaction score
Bluetooth Tethering!

Stock built in Bluetooth tethering tested and working on my MacBook. No tethering plan or fee!!

1. I paired my RAZR MAXX to my MacBook
2. dropped down on the Mac Bluetooth menu
3. clicked connect to internet (something like that) on the Droid RAZR device listed
4. and then went into my MacBook network settings and did something in there.
5. I didn't get internet until I disconnected in the Mac bluetooth dropdown and reconnected.

I'll have to go in and get exact specifics if anyone needs more info.

Cool though? I think so. Didn't try it on Gingerbread.

Note: With the ability to disable bloatware and free tethering built in, I have no need or desire to root ICS!

Last edited:

jaybogg

Reaction score
If you create a folder on your home screen, the folder icon looks like the icon of the first app in folder. To change, open the folder on home screen, long press and drag the app in the folder you want to show as the folder icon to the top left position and drop it there. Everyone probably already knew this but me, but I created a folder and the first app in the folder had a really indiscernible icon that didn't show with my home screen wallpaper.

jaybogg

Reaction score
A little off subject but just wanted to say how much I really like this ICS sub thread. I had a palm device but switched to RAZR in February due to lack of third party apps once HP bought Palm. I didn't really try to learn the android OS (GB) other than phone, text, and a few apps. Probably the smartest thing I ever did. Now that ICS is out, I get my phone, read the tips and advice, and try it on my phone. It works like a tutorial and I don't have to ask a million questions. I think that by the time I have read this sub thread, I will be dangerously proficient with Android ICS!!:biggrin:

epiphone74

Reaction score
Any way to get more then 5 home screens? Used go launcher forever and loved having more then 5 .. each screen had a specific task associated.

dogman356

Reaction score
Just got ICS for my Razr Maxx and went to view a video onCNN- says I have to get Adobe Flash Player. I though this was re- loaded....

brucefulton

Reaction score
Just got ICS for my Razr Maxx and went to view a video onCNN- says I have to get Adobe Flash Player. I though this was re- loaded....
Download it from the app store. It's not officially supported on ICS and was therefore removed during the update; people are reporting varying degrees of success, with some sites working and others not. Word is that after Aug 15, you will no longer be able to download it.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Any way to get more then 5 home screens? Used go launcher forever and loved having more then 5 .. each screen had a specific task associated.

I use Apex Launcher ... and same here, each screen if for particular stuff.

Inky1216

Reaction score
Yes it does. You have to tap the Android version cell 4 times in rapids succession. The trick is that if you tap too fast it doesn't register all the presses.

Try starting out by pressing it slow enough that you see it light up with each tap. Once you've got the rhythm down, slowly start speeding up the frequency of the presses, making sure it still lights up with each finger press. Eventually you'll hit the right frequency. Its about 4 per second (probably 4 within 1 second).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yep, that helped me get it to work! Thanks! The part about making sure it light up each press was the key.... I just started pressing it repeatedly (not counting to 4 or anything) and slowly increased the speed I was pressing it until it took. Cute!

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
I have a few questions.

1) Is there a way to get rid of the keyboard notification when the keyboard is open? I have researched this and havent seen a clear cut answer. Seems like its there in case you lock your phone and are typing something and forget that you are typing and then if you see if it will remind you that you were typing.

2) I read somewhere that there is a app you can get to toggle 3g and 4g...i think it was one for the thunderbolt that somebody mentioned work for the razr ics...is this true?

3) Battery life tips? I usually have background sync off when not at home, and when i am at home on wifi i have data disabled and i always have my screen on the lowest setting and i kill the apps after im done with them...my battery life is still horrible. It was alot better on gingerbread. So if anybody has any helpful tips for this it would be much appreciated

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have a few questions.

1) Is there a way to get rid of the keyboard notification when the keyboard is open? I have researched this and havent seen a clear cut answer. Seems like its there in case you lock your phone and are typing something and forget that you are typing and then if you see if it will remind you that you were typing.

2) I read somewhere that there is a app you can get to toggle 3g and 4g...i think it was one for the thunderbolt that somebody mentioned work for the razr ics...is this true?

3) Battery life tips? I usually have background sync off when not at home, and when i am at home on wifi i have data disabled and i always have my screen on the lowest setting and i kill the apps after im done with them...my battery life is still horrible. It was alot better on gingerbread. So if anybody has any helpful tips for this it would be much appreciated

1) and 2) I can't help you with ... I don't know. But 3) as far as your battery life, I started this thread about MY battery life, and it's things that I did on MY phone ... it may or may not be for you or others, but I am getting well over 24 hours on a single charge on my Razr Maxx with the things I did. Might help you too ... depends how you use your phone.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...on/214269-battery-life-ics-my-experience.html

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I have a few questions.

I'll tackle the first two for you:

1) Nope. And it's there so that you can easily switch keyboards if you want to.

2) LTE OnOFF - This is the app you're referring to. Yes, it works on the RAZR.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'll tackle the first two for you:

1) Nope. And it's there so that you can easily switch keyboards if you want to.

2) LTE OnOFF - This is the app you're referring to. Yes, it works on the RAZR.

Thanks for tackling the first two that I have no knowledge of LOL :hail:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions.

1. Dont know about that. One time it went away...now I cant get rid of it...lol. Dont remember if I did anything special or just never paid that much attention to it.

2. LTE On/Off for the Thunderbolt. Yes it works.

3. I have took my phone of Global, put it on LTE/CDMA and disabled all location services. So far I think my battery life has gotten better. Even tho I'm in a weak reception area....I may try to do a battery life test to see something. I know before ICS I could average 12-15 hours on my regular RAZR. I have a feeling Global is draining the battery. I think all the phones defaulted to Global after the update. And just try some charging cycles....get the RAZR with ICS to learn the battery again.