ICS Root Tool

Wend4

Reaction score
None of the 1 click root tools work for my D4 - Files won't copy, permission denied

*** Wouldn't you know it, after I posted this my phone went and rooted. I had used other one-clicks but this one is the one that worked razrs_edge_windows.zip

Thanks guys!

I do everything right but apparently none of them are able to copy the files to my phone - permission denied. I have USB debugging enabled, MTS, and have chchecked to be able to install from non-market. Have all drivers installed and the Motorola Device MGR which is able to connect via usb. Am using the motorola usb cable that came with my phone and am able to browse both my internal and external sd cards on my pc. Running Win 7 64bit. Below is an example of what happens when I run the batch file: Any help would be great, like where to and how to manually copy the files so they execute on my phone.

[*]
[*] Motofail: Universal Motorola Android Root Exploit (Windows version)
[*] by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)
[*]
[*] Tested on Droid 3, Droid Bionic, Droid RAZR, and Droid 4
[*]
[*] Before continuing, ensure USB debugging is enabled, that you
[*] have the latest Motorola drivers installed, and that your phone
[*] is connected via USB.
[*]
[*] Press enter to root your phone...
Press any key to continue . . .
[*]
[*] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
[*] Device found.
[*] Deploying payload...
failed to copy 'motofail' to '/data/local/motofail': Permission denied
Unable to chmod /data/local/motofail: No such file or directory
[*] Owning phone...
/system/bin/sh: /data/local/motofail: not found
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.

-----------------------------------------------

AFTER REBOOT MESSAGE

[
[*] Attemping persistence...
remount failed: Operation not permitted
failed to copy 'su' to '/system/bin/su': Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
link failed File exists
failed to copy 'busybox' to '/system/xbin/busybox': Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory
/system/bin/sh: /system/xbin/busybox: not found
failed to copy 'Superuser.apk' to '/system/app/Superuser.apk': Read-only file sy
stem
[*] Cleaning up...
/system/bin/sh: /data/local/motofail: not found
rm failed for /data/local/motofail, No such file or directory
[*] Rebooting...
[*] Exploit complete!
[*] Press any key to exit.
Press any key to continue . . .

Last edited:
OP
orangechoochoo

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Why don't you wait for your phone toupdate to Jellybean and then root it, rooting ICS at this point is pointless. Razr Blade root works to root Jellybean.

TeeKay1

Reaction score
Actually the ICS tool doesn't have a unroot option. I just tested the unroot that was used on GB and it worked! I will be updating the ICS tool in the next day or two to include this.

I assume you never got around to adding the unroot feature in the ICS tool then? Just to confirm one more time, the Droid 4 Utility in the other sticky will unroot for ICS, right?

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
It will unroot ICS but will not clear the q/e root checker that shows when you boot to stock recovery. Look for the link in my signature.

TeeKay1

Reaction score
Hmm I see. What should I do if I gotta send my phone in for repair that's covered by my warranty? Use RSDLite to completely wipe root?

siggma

Reaction score
Hmm I see. What should I do if I gotta send my phone in for repair that's covered by my warranty? Use RSDLite to completely wipe root?

I believe you can simply find and delete the "su" binary to remove root access even if the other root binaries are present. You could also try rootkeeper. Just make sure there are no files named "su" anywhere on your phone and that root access fails. You could also rename "su" to "SUH" or something like that. Don't move it to another directory or it won't run later. Then when you get your phone back you can run SUH (capitals are significant) and copy "SUH" back to "su". If rootkeeper works that too is an option but I haven't tested it.