ICS OTA Bugs!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Dark would be the lowest brightness setting you use while screen is on, which you use almost all of the time. It is interesting... 88% of the time your screen is on is at your lowest two settings but the lowest settings only contributed to 58% of the power used by the screen. The other 12% of the time on medium & bright, contributed to 42% of the power used by the screen. You can really see how much less power your display uses at the lower settings.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dark would be the lowest brightness setting you use while screen is on, which you use almost all of the time. It is interesting... 88% of the time your screen is on is at your lowest two settings but the lowest settings only contributed to 58% of the power used by the screen. The other 12% of the time on medium & bright, contributed to 42% of the power used by the screen. You can really see how much less power your display uses at the lower settings.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Thank you.
Yes when inside, at night, etc, anything above the screen shot showing my brightness setting is too bright for me with ICS but I use an app called Auto Bright to toggle on auto brightness (no step up stuff just straight to auto) when I go outside and even then it only was in direct sunlight a few minutes today and ate up some whole lot of battery in that time .

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

VooDooCC

Reaction score
I just checked mine, and dim is 100% of the screen usage. I have it set to 25% (using notification toggle) as 10% is a little too dim and almost hurts my eyes.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
A question about a gsam reading. On th's screen usage it shows mostly dark but used 49% power. Does dark mean off and shouldn't off be a much lower usage?

Power usage is mostly coming from the backlight. Ironically, if the screen is "black" on LCDs, it is using a little bit more power than when the screen is white. Because of the way LCDs work. A "black" screen is using all the power of a "white" screen because the backlight is still on. A black screen with the backlight on is just blocking out the backlight with the little LCD squares.

Dimming the brightness itself will save power because it is actually reducing the backlight.

I keep my brightness at full all the time. I have auto dimming and auto brightness disabled. I simply turn the display off when I am not using it. So when I am not using the phone, the display is consuming zero power. This has worked far better for me over the years than the various auto-dim schemes.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Power usage is mostly coming from the backlight. Ironically, if the screen is "black" on LCDs, it is using a little bit more power than when the screen is white. Because of the way LCDs work. A "black" screen is using all the power of a "white" screen because the backlight is still on. A black screen with the backlight on is just blocking out the backlight with the little LCD squares.

Dimming the brightness itself will save power because it is actually reducing the backlight.

I keep my brightness at full all the time. I have auto dimming and auto brightness disabled. I simply turn the display off when I am not using it. So when I am not using the phone, the display is consuming zero power. This has worked far better for me over the years than the various auto-dim schemes.

I picked up a genetic quirk from my dad where my eyes let in too much light, brain doesn't ignore light , whatever, thus see darker stuff better. My dad had it so bad he needed tinted glasses even inside.
Thank you! I didn't know about the creating squares to cover the light thing. That explains a lot. I'd always thought LCD did better in light backgrounds but was always told it wasn't true.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

VooDooCC

Reaction score
Found another one today, doesn't matter signal strength, even does it over wi-fi. Some browser pages won't load, the whole screen goes white. If I refresh or go back and then forward, it works fine.

VooDooCC

Reaction score
I installed the new global update via the android police download. Didn't noticed it before, but now my screen doesn't come back on after calls. Could have sworn it did before.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I installed the new global update via the android police download. Didn't noticed it before, but now my screen doesn't come back on after calls. Could have sworn it did before.

I don't have the update and mine doesn't either. The lock screen engages ,I have to wake the phone and use the pull down notification bar to end a call. I hadn't even thought about it until I read your post, thought maybe it was something I had in a setting somewhere.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

Snoking

Reaction score
There is a phone setting for the power button to end call under accessibility.

OP
S

svdroiddude

Reaction score
Was down in the Los Angeles area for the last 6 days and I'll tell you....overall coverage there isn't very good! Went to Hungtington Beach...not a remote area and barely got 3G. Some areas were strong but my coverage and signal strength up here in the Seattle/Puget Sound area is MUCH better.

I guess my point is the area you live in can make a phone feel buggy. Love my NW Rezound...LA Rezound, not as much.:blink:

VooDooCC

Reaction score
This worked before the Global update too, but I can't type a reply on any forums now in the browser. I press the text box area, it turns gren for a second, but the keyboard never pops up.

tannins

Reaction score
Found another one today, doesn't matter signal strength, even does it over wi-fi. Some browser pages won't load, the whole screen goes white. If I refresh or go back and then forward, it works fine.

I'm getting a lot of this too. Many pages aren't loading. I'm just getting the loading symbol forever and have to close the page. It's happening with several apps and also internet.

MJKneuro

Reaction score
For about the past week, when I click "settings". I get the message "unfortunately this application has stopped" I click the "ok", the window goes away and when I click settings again, it works normally. Running .12 OTA.

corki2

Reaction score
For about the past week, when I click "settings". I get the message "unfortunately this application has stopped" I click the "ok", the window goes away and when I click settings again, it works normally. Running .12 OTA.

I had the same issue. I finally did a hard reset yesterday and haven't had the issue at all today. Before it was happening several times a day. I'm running the flashed 12 RUU.

Edit: It just happened again so don't waste your time trying a reset.

Sent from my Rezound

Last edited: