I was forced to leave the Droid family this afternoon..

silvasrt4

Reaction score
Not quite OFFICIAL yet as i still have my verizon plan for a few more days, but here's the story of how Verizon lost me as a customer.

Right now I'm on a family plan with my mom and brother. She recently insisted that i go get my own plan as soon as my contract is up. Well just last week Verizon started with they're tiered data plan which angers me; even though im not a huge tetherer or bandwidth hog, i feel it is absurd to charge the same amount for 2gb of data as you were for unlimited not to mention i cant be grandfathered in because i'm starting a whole new plan under my name. So my contract is not up until the 19th of July which forces me into tiered data if i stay with Verizon. This afternoon i decided take a trip to Sprint and check out this new EVO 3D. The gig of ram and dual core 1.2GHz processor had me sold and later that day i bit the bullet and got the phone. The $125 number transfer bonus was nice and waived activation for being a credit union member was nice too. So there you have it, this is a story of how Verizon and they're corporate greed lost my support. I am now part of the Sprint family and couldn't be happier.

D

dankarlinski

Its not corporate greed... its protecting themselves..

Either way, sprint will go tiered soon

Sent from my Liberated Droid2 (2.0.1)

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah... they're protecting themselves alright...

To the OP- congrats on the new phone. Sprint is a good company and will treat you right

Liberty Gingercomb v.09

comk4ver

Reaction score
I'm sorry I hope you manage to make phone calls where you live. That's why I left sprint and I had a sweet deal too but drop calls and the inability to receive calls in my room were a huge issue for me. Now I pay up the wazoo but I can make calls now

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

D

dankarlinski

I'm sorry I hope you manage to make phone calls where you live. That's why I left sprint and I had a sweet deal too but drop calls and the inability to receive calls in my room were a huge issue for me. Now I pay up the wazoo but I can make calls now

Same here

Sent from my Liberated Droid2 (2.0.1)

OP
silvasrt4

silvasrt4

Reaction score
Yes it is actually all greed. If they had done what T-mobile does and throttle after a certain point i may have stayed, but for them to charge more for a lesser plan is greedy. I have a feeling Sprint wont go tiered any time soon though. They are now the last ones standing to be unlimited giving them great leverage over the other companies. From a business standpoint, that is a HUGE marketing strategy to keep hold of for the time being.

OP
silvasrt4

silvasrt4

Reaction score

I live in a decent sized city,suprisingly actually have good 4g connectivity and i know a few people around here who have Sprint and have had good luck with them. Im not too worried about the call dropping. My work also has Sprint Extenders(?) anyway i get great service at work since our work phones are sprint.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If I were in your situation, I would make the same change you have, except I'd get the Nexus.

OP
silvasrt4

silvasrt4

Reaction score
If I were in your situation, I would make the same change you have, except I'd get the Nexus.

Nexus isn't so hot to trot on the specs though. Also HTC is unlocking they're boot loaders soon so the development for HTC devices is going to boom I predict

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Yeah, same here. And I have to laugh at people leaving over tiered plans if they are using less than 2gigs. For an individual (at least in my case), the Sprint plans are about $5 cheaper, assuming you use GV for texts. So to leave VZW over pricing seems kind of crazy to me.

NoStopN

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Twitter
@NoStopN
The phone call ability is all I would worry about. Even if you don't use 2GB, just knowing that there is no limit to your web surfing eases the mind. And with the way that information leaks these days, tiered data plans are known long before they get announced by the carriers. That's how I got grandfathered into Verizon's 4G plan.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes it is actually all greed. If they had done what T-mobile does and throttle after a certain point i may have stayed, but for them to charge more for a lesser plan is greedy. I have a feeling Sprint wont go tiered any time soon though. They are now the last ones standing to be unlimited giving them great leverage over the other companies. From a business standpoint, that is a HUGE marketing strategy to keep hold of for the time being.

They're unlimited because they don't have as many customers as verizon so they can afford to be unlimited. As more people switch to them, their network will suffer (more then it already does), and they'll institute tiers. It's about as certain as death and taxes. No chance that Sprint will not go to tiers.

Congrats on your switch, but I think you switched to a crappy network to prove a point and hopefully you'll be happy there (at least you'll be grandfathered so that's a plus, but the network sucks seriously haha)

tommyg562000

Reaction score

I live in a decent sized city,suprisingly actually have good 4g connectivity and i know a few people around here who have Sprint and have had good luck with them. Im not too worried about the call dropping. My work also has Sprint Extenders(?) anyway i get great service at work since our work phones are sprint.

The fact that your work place has sprint netwok extenders should give u a hint as to the quality of sprints network.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums