NEED HELP ASAP (Verizon New Phone+Line)

SEGA

Reaction score
OK heres the deal, July 7th is the rumored date that the tiered data cap will be started at Verizon.

My Sister has Verizon & My Old DroidX, her Husband (brother in law) has sprint (no contract), and he wants to go to Verizon and get a Android. Want to get my Brother in law grandfathered into the Unlimited plan.

What should he do to get the best deal on a phone+Plan??

1)Should we go to Verizon and change my Sisters plan to a family plan to get him added, and get a free/deal on a phone?

2)Go to another store to add the family plan and phone? Best Buy, Wal*Mart etc.
Do other stores have the ability to add lines to excising accounts?

3)Get him on the family plan, but give him one of my old Droids?
Do you still have to sign a two year contract when adding a line?

Note: They live in West Palm Beach, Florida

*Sorry for the ASAP but I'm going up there in a couple hours to help them choose.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not sure about option 2 with other stores but option 1 or 3 are both good. If she changes get plan to a family plan and adds a line it will just add $9.99 for the phone line plus $29.95 for unlimited data. If he is just going to activate an old phone them he would not be required to sign a 2 year contract (I don't think). But if he is not under a contract, I am not sure if he will be grandfathered or not. The only advantage to doing option 3 is if he knew he was going to get one of the new phones coming out in the summer. But if he does not plan on getting one of the future phones, option 1 would be best as he can get a decent phone for a good price with a 2 year contract.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

johnd09

Reaction score
The stores can add lines. The only difference in buying the phone from a store other than Verizon is you warranty will be through that store. They will give you support at Verizon but for warranty work you would have to return it to the purchase store. And I don't know exactly about adding a line and signing the contract, I think you get a phone discount when you add a line so I think it automatically signs a contract.

Sent from my Thunderbolt!!

illmatic636

Reaction score
The lines can also be separated from your account without any disruption in plan. If you add him to yours. he can have it released into his own name(provided his credit is ok).

Detonation

Reaction score
The stores can add lines. The only difference in buying the phone from a store other than Verizon is you warranty will be through that store. They will give you support at Verizon but for warranty work you would have to return it to the purchase store.

That is not true. If your phone is bought from an Authorized Verizon Retailer, Verizon will cover your 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

johnd09

Reaction score
The stores can add lines. The only difference in buying the phone from a store other than Verizon is you warranty will be through that store. They will give you support at Verizon but for warranty work you would have to return it to the purchase store.

That is not true. If your phone is bought from an Authorized Verizon Retailer, Verizon will cover your 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

Just telling what I was told by the Verizon corporate store when I asked about it for a friend who was having problems.

Detonation

Reaction score

Just telling what I was told by the Verizon corporate store when I asked about it for a friend who was having problems.

Either they were confusing the manufacturer's warranty with some other type of coverage offered by the other stores, or they were lying to you so you'd buy them phone through them. When you buy a phone from an authorized retailer, its stored in Verizon's system, and as long as you maintain service with them they will replace it for you.

Verizon is just a middle man for the manufacturer's warranty anyways. Normally you'd have to send your phone off to the manufacturer and wait 1-2 weeks for them to repair it and return it. Instead, Verizon takes your phone, gives you a replacement on the spot, sends your defective phone back and then just keeps in when they get it back.

Did a quick search and here's an example:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s-motorolas-1-year-manufacturer-warranty.html

OP
SEGA

SEGA

Reaction score
UPDATE: Ok, we are going to do it tomorrow.

I just called and there is NO Two Year Contract if you are adding a line and have a phone, so theres more options.

Might just hook up my old Droid for him and wait to see what kind of summer specials they have.

UNLESS someone already knows some good deals going on, or must have phone soon to be released?

Thanks for the quick replies by the way!dancedroid

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

Detonation is right. The people at the store were either mistaken or just plain lying to you. To the OP, you're probably not going to get to many deals from Verizon, unless it's an older phone. See what kind of phone he wants and if he likes something that hasn't been released just let him use your old Droid until what he wants comes out.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
What should he do to get the best deal on a phone+Plan??

Should we go to Verizon and change my Sisters plan to a family plan to get him added, and get a free/deal on a phone?

Go to another store to add the family plan and phone? Best Buy, Wal*Mart etc.
Do other stores have the ability to add lines to excising accounts?
Shop around. Deals change all the time. I know I don't track them all constantly just to answer people that ask questions like this.

As always: with 3rd party resellers make sure that you fully read and understand their fine print. They all tack on their own terms and penalty fees if you don't comply.

Any wireless customer should know that you can't always count on the word of a single CSR. CSR's frequently provide misinformation (search here and Google around). Warranty is provided by the manuafacturer and the carrier acts as the middle man. It's an industry standard. Some of the manufacturers do offer direct support but that's relatively unusual. Apple is its own exception.

Last edited:

VZW_CS

Reaction score
Verizon New Phone Line

The lines can also be separated from your account without any disruption in plan. If you add him to yours. he can have it released into his own name(provided his credit is ok).

Please note that if he activates before July 7th on your account, and then changes the line to his own name on or after July 7th, the unlimited data will no longer apply and he will have to choose from one of the new data plans. This is due to the line being activated as a new line once it goes into his name.

I hope this information is helpful. Have a great day!

Christina B
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport