I Really Hate

thelion

Reaction score
Not getting all my apps back when I have to switch phones. This should be simple, Google. I use Market and my login to d/l apps. I know you know what I d/l. So why can't you just put them back on my phone?

There are options within applications like Astro. It allows you to backup all apps to sd card, then pop that sd card into the new phone, download astro and then restore.

Aside from that I agree with you, seems like a service that google should offer beyond just the paid apps.

Why in the world do you need all your unpaid apps to come back to you? Why not get them on an as need basis, it's simple to do.

And you could have backed them up if you wanted too. I had it happen to me and I just went and got them back as I needed them. If I didn't get them all back then I probably had no need for them.

Why in the world do you need all your unpaid apps to come back to you? Why not get them on an as need basis, it's simple to do.

And you could have backed them up if you wanted too. I had it happen to me and I just went and got them back as I needed them. If I didn't get them all back then I probably had no need for them.
That's what I do too.

But for people that want something else, Titanium Backup is free and will backup the name and Market links for all your apps. You can use that on a new phone to install your apps - you just have to click the various "ok" and "next" screens as it goes along and grabs them all from the Market. Titanium does more than this, and anyone concerned about backups should have this.

There are options within applications like Astro. It allows you to backup all apps to sd card, then pop that sd card into the new phone, download astro and then restore.

Aside from that I agree with you, seems like a service that google should offer beyond just the paid apps.

Yes, there are options. However that is not the point. It is a basic service and one that I had when I had my original Droid (way back when).

Because that is time consuming and I don't like to waste my time on something that should be intuitive.

That's what I do too.

But for people that want something else, Titanium Backup is free and will backup the name and Market links for all your apps. You can use that on a new phone to install your apps - you just have to click the various "ok" and "next" screens as it goes along and grabs them all from the Market. Titanium does more than this, and anyone concerned about backups should have this.

The point is, I should not need another service to do this for me. When I got my original Droid (back at launch time) and subsequently exchanged it seven times - not once did I need to redownload all my free apps. They just came back along with all of my settings. There is no reason the X cannot do this as well.

Does it keep track of all your paid apps and let you redownload them for free? I just paid $29.99 for the slingbox app on my moto Droid and I would hate to lose that switching to the Droid X.

Does it keep track of all your paid apps and let you redownload them for free? I just paid $29.99 for the slingbox app on my moto Droid and I would hate to lose that switching to the Droid X.

Yes it does. Paid apps are under the "downloads" section of Market. You just hit "install" and are good to go. This is why it SHOULD just let me down the same thing for my free apps. Instead, I have to grab each one as I need it. Which is time consuming and frustrating. When I need an app - I need it now. Not in a few minutes after it downloads, installs and I accept the agreement. Bah!

Yes, there are options. However that is not the point. It is a basic service and one that I had when I had my original Droid (way back when).

Because that is time consuming and I don't like to waste my time on something that should be intuitive.

That's what I do too.

The point is, I should not need another service to do this for me. When I got my original Droid (back at launch time) and subsequently exchanged it seven times - not once did I need to redownload all my free apps. They just came back along with all of my settings. There is no reason the X cannot do this as well.
Sometimes on my Droid they came back, and sometimes they didn't. I was just offering solutions - I see no point in debating how the Android OS should be coded. ;)

I haven't tried wiping my X, but perhaps the apps will come back like they sometimes did on my Droid.

Really? You see no point in it? How does Google learn if not by feedback?

Yes it does, it's not an issue of paid apps. The issue is the OPs expectations are not meeting what he feels the Droid should be able to do.

To the OP all I can say is it's not perfect, it's not a computer, it's a phone. That's the way it is. Everybody knows if you really want to keep your apps you need to back them up. If you weren't aware of that then you probably need to drop by the forum a bit more to keep up on things.

Really? You see no point in it? How does Google learn if not by feedback?
I meant I see no point in debating you - as in you and I debating. You are correct - it is Google that needs to be told.

I'm not sure how that all works anyway, which is another reason I didn't want to "debate". With the Droid and Froyo, the apps always came back - that seems to work the best. But I don't know if the dev's put something special in to cause that, or that is a Froyo thing and thus already "fixed".

Yes it does, it's not an issue of paid apps. The issue is the OPs expectations are not meeting what he feels the Droid should be able to do.

To the OP all I can say is it's not perfect, it's not a computer, it's a phone. That's the way it is. Everybody knows if you really want to keep your apps you need to back them up. If you weren't aware of that then you probably need to drop by the forum a bit more to keep up on things.

First, I'm a she, not a he. Second, my argument is that my original Droid could do this - based on the same OS - so why can my X not do this? And don't give me some sass about what I do and do not know. I was aware they wouldn't come back. That isn't the point. The point is, this shouldbe something the X can do as there is absolutely no reason it cannot.

I love my X, it is a great phone. My issues is not with the phone. It is with Google not providing this service. Or is that distinction unclear to you?

You should have stated your point which was that you were just looking to vent rather than seeking solutions so all the nice people here might not have wasted their time with all these helpful suggestions:)

Also, this is not a google feedback forum

You should have stated your point which was that you were just looking to vent rather than seeking solutions so all the nice people here might not have wasted their time with all these helpful suggestions:)

Also, this is not a google feedback forum

Nowhere in my post did I ask for assistance or suggest I was seeking solutions. Just stating my option.

And wow with the obvious statement there, fish. Trust me, my opinion has be relayed to their feedback as well.

First, I'm a she, not a he. Second, my argument is that my original Droid could do this - based on the same OS - so why can my X not do this? And don't give me some sass about what I do and do not know. I was aware they wouldn't come back. That isn't the point. The point is, this shouldbe something the X can do as there is absolutely no reason it cannot.

I love my X, it is a great phone. My issues is not with the phone. It is with Google not providing this service. Or is that distinction unclear to you?

Sorry for the misunderstanding on the gender. The discussion is quite clear to me, there is no reason for you to make smart remarks. Let's keep it civil.

With a regular Droid you don't always get your apps back. I've had times when everything comes back and times when all I got was my paid apps. I've had times when I've backed up my apps and still didn't get all my apps back.

Now I don't have the X so I don't know if in fact it does work both ways, but I know well enough not to be surprised if I root or install a ROM that I might not get all my apps back.

So if you didn't get your apps back, you didn't back up, then really it's not the Droids fault. You can't expect it to do something that it isn't designed to do. I agree it would be nice to have it give all the apps back, maybe it should but it's a known fact that it doesn't on all occasions.

Back