I have a best buy geek squad protection plan ?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Smartphone iPhone Protection Plans Best Budy

^ based on this after paying $100 more for the device (because Best buy charges $100 more than what the carrier charges) and what they charge for the plan, I then have to pay a $150 service fee?

Just curios to know before I make my decision on where I purchase my phone.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok okk.....hold up

packersrefpush.gif

penalty on Best Buy

Looking at a new note 4 off contract (because I am sure the accidental will be the same for my nexus 6) it will cost $199 (plus tax) for the accidental..so lets do some math

$100 more for the phone
$199 for the accidental
$149 for the service fee

$448 not including tax

uhhh yeah I will not be buying my phone from best buy unless I am missing something...if so correct me.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You would be dealing with a bunch of imbeciles. IMHO, based on experience from my customers.

You worked for best buy?

Last edited:

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
All based on experiences my customers have had with their home systems. (I only work with businesses), Eventually they all had to call me.

The biggest problem is that there is no guarantee that you will see the same person twice or get any better help if another person needs to follow up. Each has a specialty but very few are well rounded enough to, (properly), fix many problems. I have seen my share of totally botched service calls.and stories of how the support person couldn't get anything done without spending the entire time on the phone getting his own support.

Every now and then you WILL find someone who was between jobs and really knew what he was doing but inmost cases their last job was selling used cars.

Can you tell they don't make me happy? I hate following them into a customers home to fix something they were baffled by. I usually make them look like fools. That doesn't make me happy.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
All based on experiences my customers have had with their home systems. (I only work with businesses), Eventually they all had to call me.

The biggest problem is that there is no guarantee that you will see the same person twice or get any better help if another person needs to follow up. Each has a specialty but very few are well rounded enough to, (properly), fix many problems. I have seen my share of totally botched service calls.and stories of how the support person couldn't get anything done without spending the entire time on the phone getting his own support.

Every now and then you WILL find someone who was between jobs and really knew what he was doing but inmost cases their last job was selling used cars.

Can you tell they don't make me happy? I hate following them into a customers home to fix something they were baffled by. I usually make them look like fools. That doesn't make me happy.

Are we talking about the same thing?

I was asking if the geek squad protection plan was worth the money.... vs just paying the 7.99 through my carrier.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
From my personal experience dealing with our local Best Buy for the past 6 years, we must be the exception to the rule. Our BB employees have always been knowledgeable and super helpful. My wife has called the geek squad on two separate occasions with her new laptop and both times they were extremely courteous and resolved the problem.
Of course YMMV, but over the past six years buying dozens of products, I've got nothing but good things to say about ours.

S5 tap'n

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am guessing I did a very poor job the way I presented that .

I am not questioning the service I am questioning the cost of the plan. In other words would you rather pay the money through the carrier or pay much more through best buy...in other words is the extra money you are about to pay going to provide you with better service/protection?

Hopefully I explained better this time around.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Are we talking about the same thing?

I was asking if the geek squad protection plan was worth the money.... vs just paying the 7.99 through my carrier.
Since you are talking about a plan rather than repair work I guess I've been on the wrong track

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Since you are talking about a plan rather than repair work I guess I've been on the wrong track

It's ok, based on CR6 response I see that I did a poor job asking my question.

I was doing the math and came up with you will be paying a total 448 if you end up using the service through best buy

$100 more for what they charge more than what the carrier charge
$199 for the plan
$149 if you have to use the plan.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think it's worth the money personally. Go with your carriers insurance.

S5 tap'n

yeah that is what I was thinking after doing some research. I wanted to see if maybe I was missing something

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It was my fault for replying off the last post instead of the original post....I'm easily side tracked sometimes. LOL
But yeah, typically you either need your phone replaced or you don't. Getting a plan like this is simply throwing your money away imo.

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I find it easier to deal with the carrier. I already know their policies and costs so adding BB to the mix would convolute things.

Reactions: cr6