I Hate Maps & Navigation!

choklitcow

Reaction score
Only probs I had were prior to the last update. It was often giving longer routes than the non-app version of google maps. I love this feature, and it was one of the main selling points as to why I snagged this phone.

M

Matth3w

I have not had that much success with Google getting me to the correct place. It can't even locate my house, and this subdivision is two years old....says I live on "dirt rd".

I have a nice Garmin and my CTS-V has nav built into the DVD player so I just use those. Besides, especially in my CTS-V, I can't really use it because it drains the battery so quick...and the idiots that designed the CTS-V put the cigarette plug to the point where it interferes when shifting from 4th to 5th or 6th to 5th...or worse yet...reverse.

mjs31

Reaction score
Google recently dropped Navteq in favor of Tele Atlas. Many comparisons have been done in the United States comparing the two and although Teleatlas has improved, most of the time Navteq comes out way ahead. Typically not done with google maps, but rather Tom Tom vs Garmin type comparisons. You can google search these comparisons and it is eye opening on how bad Tele Atlas is vs Navteq. None of them are perfect, but accuracy and actual directions (speed, avoidances etc) is greatly in favor of Navteq.

http://www.spatiallyadjusted.com/2008/09/19/navteq-out-teleatlas-in/

With my Garmin Nuvi 1690 I can actually compare Google and Garmin (Tele Atlas and Navteq) since google is integrated on this unit. Navteq just seems to give better directions including getting you there on the correct side of the street. The nice thing about Google on this system is the search for local businesses by name. It tends to list more since it is using the web when it does the search. So....my Nuvi 1690 will win the battle of the Droid vs Garmin because I get the best (and worst) of both services.

Pretty good info on Navteq vs teleatlas. This is an older article, but the information is still correct. This is not for current comparisons, but rather info...

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2006/07/navteq_vs_teleatlas_which_one.php

patriot839

Reaction score
Sounds to me that the gps was not turned on or you weren't in an area where u got good service the droid does have real gps but the app seems to run on both agps and gps so when in dought read a map

patriot839

Reaction score
I use my gps on droid and it works great some things are a little weird. But my commen sense takes over I read a story that a couple in colorado followed there gps blindly and drove them selves into a lake in the dark so ya guys you do still have to think before you act

ptfd13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
My nav has worked awesome. I did not expect it to be as accurate and spot on as it is. I could not be happier with google navigation.

R1Lover

Reaction score
You have to be smarter then the map.......

Sorry OP, but google navigation is the best navigation on the market.

M

Matth3w

You have to be smarter then the map.......

Sorry OP, but google navigation is the best navigation on the market.
So if Google can't find an address, that's the user's fault? Why is it if I type my address into Google Maps online it knows exactly where my house is, including the name of the street...but on my phone it says "Dirt Road" and it's in the middle of a dirt patch?

Things like that are my fault?

darreno1

Reaction score
I use it frequently and it failed me only once that I can remember and by fail I mean a few blocks difference. I have to agree with the person that said it is one of the best features of the phone.

However I believe there will be differences in accuracy from location to location. I'm sure with time it will improve.

darreno1

Reaction score
I use it frequently and it failed me only once that I can remember and by fail I mean a few blocks difference. I have to agree with the person that said it is one of the best features of the phone.

However I believe there will be differences in accuracy from location to location. I'm sure with time it will improve.

M

Matth3w

Well to be fair I haven't used it a lot. Just playing devil's advocate here...if someone punches in an address and it can't find it despite it being a perfectly good address (other GPS will find it, the post office finds it, etc)...sounds like a problem with the software, not the user.

but like I said I don't use it a lot (explanation as to why in post 62)

texasPI

Reaction score
To the OP...

Do you think that Garmin and TomTom are always on the money? Nope, they are not. Especially in terms of POIs but thats another subject. There is just no way that any map source will always be 100%. Think of how fast cities grow...

Sounds like you should request a refund for google nav...oh wait! Its free!

I guess its time to go back to that huge atlas...

cuskit

Reaction score
Google recently dropped Navteq in favor of Tele Atlas. Many comparisons have been done in the United States comparing the two and although Teleatlas has improved, most of the time Navteq comes out way ahead. Typically not done with google maps, but rather Tom Tom vs Garmin type comparisons. You can google search these comparisons and it is eye opening on how bad Tele Atlas is vs Navteq. None of them are perfect, but accuracy and actual directions (speed, avoidances etc) is greatly in favor of Navteq.

Navteq out, TeleAtlas in

With my Garmin Nuvi 1690 I can actually compare Google and Garmin (Tele Atlas and Navteq) since google is integrated on this unit. Navteq just seems to give better directions including getting you there on the correct side of the street. The nice thing about Google on this system is the search for local businesses by name. It tends to list more since it is using the web when it does the search. So....my Nuvi 1690 will win the battle of the Droid vs Garmin because I get the best (and worst) of both services.

Pretty good info on Navteq vs teleatlas. This is an older article, but the information is still correct. This is not for current comparisons, but rather info...

NAVTEQ vs. TELEATLAS: Which one is better? (GPSmagazine.com)

Hmmm - I had thought Google used their own mapping (Street View). Am I interpreting this wrong? More recent than either of your links by a couple of years:

Google Replaces Tele Atlas Data in US with Google StreetView Data | Understanding Google Maps & Local Search

cuskit

joemustang

Reaction score
I didn't read all the posts but..

i use the nav daily.

I have noticed if you are in country/rural area then the navegation will sometimes be wrong. If you are in the City it is 99% right every time.

However, i have noticed that the nav is off by about 70meters or so. It will tell me i have arrived when really i need to drive up the road another 70 meters or so. this pisses me off.

Also i can't tell you how many times, i hit the Find my location tab and the GPS never finds my location. When this happends i have to do a battery pull. wtf.