Map View - Will it rotate/turn with you?

bamfsig45

Reaction score
So I recently got the car dock and have been using the maps more while in the car. One thing Ive noticed is that while in Map View it does not rotate or turn with you, North is always at the top. If you are navigating to a certain destination then it seems to work properly. Is there a way to make the maps rotate with the direction you are going w/o actually putting in an address and navigating? My Blackberry maps would turn as I turned a corner but I cant seem to get the Google Maps on Droid to do this.

Thanks.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nope. Not with Google Maps anyway. Google Maps on the BB behaved the same way if you happen to recall.

OP
bamfsig45

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Maybe I wasnt using google maps on BB, but what ever I did use turned when I turned. Would a 3rd party app have this capability?

Mr Steve

Reaction score
You can get the blue pointer arrow to rotate, at least. Even works if you're standing still. Spin around in your desk chair and give it a whirl!

Maps > Menu > More > Labs > Compass Arrow.

I also like the 'Bubble Buttons' option in Labs.

OP
bamfsig45

bamfsig45

Reaction score
You can get the blue pointer arrow to rotate, at least. Even works if you're standing still. Spin around in your desk chair and give it a whirl!

Maps > Menu > More > Labs > Compass Arrow.

I also like the 'Bubble Buttons' option in Labs.

yea Ive done that but not what Im wanting. Its actually annoying when you're driving south and the top of the screen is still north.

bigthinker

Reaction score
Mine works like its supposed to in map/car home mode....:motdroidhoriz:

OP
bamfsig45

bamfsig45

Reaction score

Explain to me "like its supposed too" your map rotates as you drive keeping the direction your're traveling at the top of the screen w/o being in "navigation mode" with an address?

Reaction score

Explain to me "like its supposed too" your map rotates as you drive keeping the direction your're traveling at the top of the screen w/o being in "navigation mode" with an address?

He is talking about navigation. As far as I know, on the basic map it will not rotate the map when you yourself rotate.

OP
bamfsig45

bamfsig45

Reaction score

He is talking about navigation. As far as I know, on the basic map it will not rotate the map when you yourself rotate.

Oh well, I think it should be this way and could be done since it does have the compass in Labs. Turn the map instead of the arrow.

gatorbait

Reaction score
It doesn't work like that, nor should it. For situations where you are moving around (but not in your car) the maps app would be rotating all around each time your compass direction changed. Imagine looking at a map on your couch, and then walking to your kitchen to go get a snack while still looking at the Droid in your hand.

What you need is a birds-eye view like the maps app offers, but in the navigation app. Does anyone know if an option like this exists? I thought it did in an early build of the navigation app (according to youtube videos), but I've never seen it on my Droid.

OP
bamfsig45

bamfsig45

Reaction score
It doesn't work like that, nor should it. For situations where you are moving around (but not in your car) the maps app would be rotating all around each time your compass direction changed. Imagine looking at a map on your couch, and then walking to your kitchen to go get a snack while still looking at the Droid in your hand.

What you need is a birds-eye view like the maps app offers, but in the navigation app. Does anyone know if an option like this exists? I thought it did in an early build of the navigation app (according to youtube videos), but I've never seen it on my Droid.

So you walk around your house looking at google maps? Is the Fridge and restroom pinned in My Places? lol just having a little fun.

rp683

Reaction score
I saw my friend's iphone do exactly that. Was cool. Sometimes you don't want to navigate to somewhere, just follow along. It was especially handy when walking down the street. The map rotates and the place or street you are looking for is on the same side as on your screen. Wish that could be implemented here soon.

OP
bamfsig45

bamfsig45

Reaction score
I saw my friend's iphone do exactly that. Was cool. Sometimes you don't want to navigate to somewhere, just follow along. It was especially handy when walking down the street. The map rotates and the place or street you are looking for is on the same side as on your screen. Wish that could be implemented here soon.

Exactly.

iPhone does what? haha uuggg

gatorbait

Reaction score

So you walk around your house looking at google maps? Is the Fridge and restroom pinned in My Places? lol just having a little fun.

Haha, you know what I mean though. Since Google Maps leverages so many other features into the mobile version (search, locations, layers, buzz, etc), it could get annoying having your phone automatically reorient itself and move what you were looking for off the screen.

I do agree that it would nice to have this as an option in navigation (like a free roam mode that other GPS systems have).

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
So I recently got the car dock and have been using the maps more while in the car. One thing Ive noticed is that while in Map View it does not rotate or turn with you, North is always at the top. If you are navigating to a certain destination then it seems to work properly. Is there a way to make the maps rotate with the direction you are going w/o actually putting in an address and navigating? My Blackberry maps would turn as I turned a corner but I cant seem to get the Google Maps on Droid to do this.

Thanks.

I use this work around to make this happen: Press a spot just down the road for the route you want to take. Tap the bubble and navigate to it. When you drive past it, a message and some buttons ( something like, Exit Nav, New Navigation, etc.)come up telling you that you are there. Do nothing, touch nothing, keep driving. The map orientates with travel direction in the stand alone GPS type mode, but the buttons take up a little screen geography. :icon_ banana: