I Hate Maps & Navigation!

gentlefury

Reaction score
The things I would change with google nav is it needs favorites, and it needs to reroute based on traffic info! Google is the only map program that actually has surface street info! I would love to see that used for navigation!

It would also be nice to give you a city wide cache option.

No issues with navigation for me either and agree with you on those changes. Maybe we'll get that when it comes out of "beta".

new maps has favorites!! YAY!!

crspang

Reaction score
Not to flame on you Alexr, but would you like some cheese with your whine?

Geez I've had just as many problems with my Garmin Nuvi.

And did you even take into account that the Google navigation is a beta and its FREE and it has LIVE traffic info? Name another phone that even comes close.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anybody notice that the OP never came back after his first post?

I did. Now what's the word I'm looking for. Somebody help me out here. :)

bdbraaten

Reaction score
I tried out the maps for about the first week I had the phone and gave up on it. I'm in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area in Minnesota and its almost never accurate for me. I've tried it both with the gps satellites only, tried it with both the gps satellites and the wireless towers for location, and tried it using just the wireless towers. Best I can get is within two blocks with the wireless towers only setting. When I try using it with the gps satellites it most of the time doesn't even have me in the correct state. My boss and I tried using it on work trip up to Duluth and it was trying to tell me I was in the black hills of South Dakota.

As far as the maps, when it couldn't even find my home address that was the final blow for me. I just stick with my Nuvi 260w.

Brent.

Million

Reaction score
Only gripe against it is that there's no option to avoid tolls! I'm in the NJ/NYC area and this would be really useful. VZ Nav had this...

And SOMETIMES its out of the way as well...but its gps it aint always super accurate.

iPirate

Reaction score
Not to flame on you Alexr, but would you like some cheese with your whine?

Geez I've had just as many problems with my Garmin Nuvi.

And did you even take into account that the Google navigation is a beta and its FREE and it has LIVE traffic info? Name another phone that even comes close.
Garmin is a nightmare, I spent 30 minutes going to the wrong places because Garmin said a restaurant was there. It messed up twice and I gave it away.

Big D

Reaction score
My question with it is that it seems to route me differently on different days.

I had to make a couple of trips into Philly on back to back days last week and it took me 2 completely different ways.

Anyone have that happen?

rjsurfer

Reaction score
Not ready for prime time...

That's my take.

On my Garmin I can:

Create my own routes in Mapsource and download them.
Avoid toll roads.
Select preferences for highways, local roads etc.
Get accurate speed readings on the fly.
All maps are stored local, no dead spots.
Screen can be seen on bright sunlight.
Waterproof.
Detour function.
Uploadable POI's, for example I uploaded all Suzuki Motorcycle dealers.
Height restricted roads.

There are more, BUT if you were to ask me where is the future of GPS nav it's not Garmin or Nuvi. I'm thinking in a year or two I can ditch the Garmin.

ggpike

Reaction score
My finance owns a flower shop and we use google nav on the droid for our deliveries. Out of the hundreds of deliveries we've only had one that was off (house was down the street a little ways). It even got us to new developments that only had one house built so far. I couldn't be happier with its performance. She has a Tom Tom, so sometimes we'll see which ones gives more accurate directions . . . so far it's a tie. I can usually always get my addresses entered and nav started way before she finishes entering the address on her Tom Tom. For a beta product, I'm impressed!

Tekmazter

Reaction score
My question with it is that it seems to route me differently on different days.

I had to make a couple of trips into Philly on back to back days last week and it took me 2 completely different ways.

Anyone have that happen?

Google harvests the information from trips people make. In turn, Google maps then gives directions based on things such as average time to go from point A to point B during a particular time of day, on a particular day of week, month or year.

Right now it's the ONLY nav service doing this. Abilities such as these are also why Garmin and TomTom took nearly 20% stock hits when Google announced it would launch Google Maps Nav with TbT Directions