swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

billyk

Reaction score
Hey Fur, thanks!

I recall reading about this weeks ago, but I don't recall the procedure. If you could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Is it a manual install over the 2.2 I have now? Was the VZW OTA push that I received the smaller update file? Other than potentially wasting 10 minutes, are there any risks in doing a manual re-install?

I am game for it, if it's easy and low risk.
Thanks again!
-bk

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
(Taken directly from a guide that never got posted for EVERYONE to be able to use, and modified slightly for your situation.)

1. Download the file from the above link and rename it to the default Android OS update package name. Conveniently, this is update.zip. Do not extract the files!.
2. Place file on the root of your SD card.
3. Power your phone off.
4. Boot into recovery (Hold Power + X).
5. Wait for a triangle with an exclamation point to appear. Release the power button and X key.
6. Press the volume up and camera button at the same time.
7. Using the d-pad (the square thing next to the keyboard) select “apply update.zip” and press the middle of the d-pad (gold-looking button).
8. Your phone will now attempt to install the update.
9. When it finishes, use the d-pad to select “reboot phone”.
10. Phone should boot into a freshly reinstalled FRG22D.

Risk is minimal. The boot might take a while, but since it's a reinstall it might now. Hopefully it'll fix the lag issue. Oh, and make sure you're backing your data and stuff up with Google so just in case anything goes iffy you don't have to set the phone back up from scratch. :)

Last edited:

metsnfins

Reaction score
Wow

Took the news and weather widget off my screen and wow so much faster

billyk

Reaction score
(Taken directly from a guide that never got posted for EVERYONE to be able to use, and modified slightly for your situation.)

1. Download the file from the above link and rename it to the default Android OS update package name. Conveniently, this is update.zip. Do not extract the files!.
2. Place file on the root of your SD card.
3. Power your phone off.
4. Boot into recovery (Hold Power + X).
5. Wait for a triangle with an exclamation point to appear. Release the power button and X key.
6. Press the volume up and camera button at the same time.
7. Using the d-pad (the square thing next to the keyboard) select “apply update.zip” and press the middle of the d-pad (gold-looking button).
8. Your phone will now attempt to install the update.
9. When it finishes, use the d-pad to select “reboot phone”.
10. Phone should boot into a freshly reinstalled FRG22D.

Risk is minimal. The boot might take a while, but since it's a reinstall it might now. Hopefully it'll fix the lag issue. Oh, and make sure you're backing your data and stuff up with Google so just in case anything goes iffy you don't have to set the phone back up from scratch. :)

Thanks again Fur.
Now I just need the time.....
:)
-bk

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
We all have our opinions. Mine is whether you got the "big" update or the OTA doesn't make a difference.

Again if you don't want to root a Factory Data Reset is the way to go.

dr0idg0d23

Reaction score
You need to downgrade to frg01b. You can find instructions on how to do this using rsd lite all over the internet. Once downgraded the easyroot app will work.
**nevermind as I read further I see you don't want to root.**

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bimmerbill

Reaction score
My droid is very sluggish too. I have it rooted with Cyanomod.
What will I lose if I do a factory reset?
If I install setCPU do I need to install anything else to get it working?

Marky Mark

Reaction score
Not rooted here either. But some apps slow mine down very much. Yahoo messenger was the most recent one to do it when I downloaded it. So its uninstalled now as I never really use it outside of computer.

rlfitz

Reaction score
i installed the larger 2.2 update a while back and it made the phone run a bit smoother(i think). it didnt help the redraw issue at all for me. I installed launcherpro and that helped immediately. I do get the redraw occasionally now, but nowhere near as often as before.

blacksoxing

Reaction score
mine was taking 10 seconds to even pull up the home screen!

...so, after thinking about what could be the issue...i unistalled "task panel"

runs fine now.

bimmerbill

Reaction score
Much better for me now. I did that direct draw mod, and installed a 1000MHZ kernel with overclock widget.