Droid slowing down

Xunal

Reaction score
My Droid has been running very slowly lately....I want to fix it!

I'm not rooted or anything....so the only thing I can think is I have a lot of texts piled up...probably close to 5,000....is that what's slowing it down?

I have quite a few apps, but not THAT many, the amount of texts I have is my only thought.

Any ideas?

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Try clearing up cache and killing apps as well as cleaning out your texts but if you want some serious speed i would consider rooting and overclocking which is the best thing i personally think i ever did involving my phone

OP
X

Xunal

Reaction score
Oh, I'm very tempted....Just nervous I'm going to mess things up. :)

...plus, I'm giving the Droid to my wife when the Droid X comes out :icon_ banana:

Thanks for the advice. I didn't want to delete my texts, but I guess I will just to see if it helps or not.

ivan_411

Reaction score
Happened to me aswell. I got tired of it so I decided to do a factory reset. I lost all my apps, including music junk. I'm still hurting about that. After the reset, Droid was back to its quick self again.

OP
X

Xunal

Reaction score
Just deleted all my texts....things seemed to be going noticeably faster for a minute, then all of my widgets said "Error inflating widget".

They are back now, but I was rolling my eyes for a minute there....if it's not one thing it's another....

iPirate

Reaction score
How many widgets are you using? This might be your problem.

I have no widgets and my phone is amazingly fast.

ap4me

Reaction score
I have been having the same issues. The speed has been noticeably slower over the last two months. I want a Droid X!

OP
X

Xunal

Reaction score
How many widgets are you using? This might be your problem.

I have no widgets and my phone is amazingly fast.

Not many, I think...

Beautiful Widgets, the power strip one, A vibrate/silence one, and Pandora.

iPirate

Reaction score
That doesn't sound like the source, did you install any apps lately?

Taegost

Reaction score
One other thing as well, how often do you reboot your phone? I found that rebooting mine every 2-3 days helps to mitigate slow downs.

My Droid Does Tapatalk...

alwerner

Reaction score
Another options is to turn off Auto Sync for a few hours and see if the performance speeds up. It could simply be high data usage behind the scenes.

What applications do you have installed?

brando56894

Reaction score
You could also try an alternate launcher, which seems to speed up things for a lot of users. Check out ADW or Launcher Pro.

EgooEspada

Reaction score
You could also try an alternate launcher, which seems to speed up things for a lot of users. Check out ADW or Launcher Pro.

+1
make sure to clear your home launcher you have now and get something like LauncherPro Beta or ADW Launcher. Way more customization and better speeds then stock launchers.
Also, its good to clear your cache, theres apps on the Android Marketplace, but they may require ROOT, not entirely sure.
Thats should help some, and even a reboot once every week should help.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have been having the same issues. The speed has been noticeably slower over the last two months. I want a Droid X!

Sorry, folks, but this is the equivalent of buying a new car when the ashtray gets full.

If you insist on keeping thousands of texts and emails on your phone, it will slow down. Period. And the same will happen to the Droid X. Furthermore, overclocking only masks the problem.

If you want an archive of text messages and emails so you can remember what it was like when you were young, save them to your computer and delete them from your droid. Keep your cache and data cleared on a regular basis.

Many of the apps designed for the Droid (e.g. gmail and k-9) were not designed to be a primary source of archiving and access. That's what computers are for.

erich93063

Reaction score
How do you "Clear the Cache"? And are you talking about emails from the gmail application taking up space? Doesnt that app just show you the emails on the gmail server? It doesn't actually download all of your gmail emails onto the phone does it?