I could use some help please!

leland_7

Reaction score
I currently have an LG Chocolate 3 (VX-8560). It's been a great phone. (flip, fm transmitter, 3.5 jack, ext. memory, non-touch)

However, I'm getting the urge to go smart phone. I'm studying the hell out of this site and others trying to pinpoint my selection. I don't care to spend a hella lot of money right now to have the latest and greatest smart phone. I'm perfectly fine with limping in. (especially since the 4G coverage roll-out will take some time) But, if spending a $100 or so would net a significantly better phone for me I would gladly spend it.

I think I can get a droid for free with a two-year contract (Cell Phones for free with Cell Phone Plans from Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, Sprint, and more) and that's cool with me since I don't really plan to leave Verizon. I need phone that has a 3.5 jack (aux.) and one that takes good pictures/video. I have a Kodak Zi8 pocket recorder and I would like to replace it with a phone that takes video just as good. (assuming the video format is a user friendly one and easy to get off the phone for editing)

Would the Droid X be a good fit for me given the info above?

If so how hard is it to root? I keep reading it's a pain. I'm not a hacker but I can follow instructions pretty well. Or, is it even really worth trying?

What other advice would you guys suggest? :icon_ banana:

Last edited by a moderator:

spillner

Reaction score
If you're interested in hacking your phone then you can't go wrong with the D1. I still have mine and have no real urge to change, I'm rooted running SS 5.1, OC to 1gig. The phone runs great. If you can get it for free then thats even better.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think there are quite a few complaints about the headset jack on all droids. I rarely use mine but when I have, no issues.

demandred

Reaction score
The Droid X is a great option if you want good video. The X has a built in 720p video recorder and an 8 MP camera. It also has HD output using a mini-HDMI cable. The X is $199.99 w/a 2 year contract. If you get it now from the web you can save another $50, making it $149.99.

The X is very simple to root. The popular z4root app will do the job.

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
Droidx rooting is done with a apk. If that's hard then you should probably get a rotary housephone.

And they're 48$ at walmart.

OP
leland_7

leland_7

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies fellas.
How do I know which rooting process is the best? Or OS to to use afterwords? Is there different advantages or pretty much the same.

Detonation

Reaction score
My Droid X headphone jack hasn't been a problem. I use it every day in the car and at work. The X is also pretty simple to root (one click root app, one click bootstrap app, and from there just make sure you back up things before flashing any roms) though it isn't quite as custimazable as the D1.

Camera is alright, takes great daylight pictures but in low light its grainy.

You can probably find a Droid X for pretty cheap soon, so if you can handle the size, I'd suggest it.