I am new to all this

Daywalker

Reaction score
I loaded digital copy of Star Trek to my card.
Now I cant find a way to get it to play, everything i try says "sorry this cant be played"

In simple terms how do I fix it?

Dayvan Jester

Reaction score
First convert the video on your computer using Videora Ipod Converter (all movie files on the droid are mp4)

Next go to marketplace on your Droid and download Meridian (its a movie, music player)

Then mount your droid to your computer via USB

Next drag and drop the file to the SD Card, into the folder named Videos.

You should be all set!

Dayvan Jester

Reaction score
So iPhone/iPod and Droid support the same mp4 format? How about DivX?

DivX needs to be converted as well. In the videora program you can convert any file extension to the recognized mp4 format of the droid.

Hope that helped!

verakot

Reaction score
How do I copy the converted files to the Droid? Is there a special location for movies?

Dayvan Jester

Reaction score
How do I copy the converted files to the Droid? Is there a special location for movies?
The program will walk you through everything but there is two ways you can do it...

1. Drag and drop files from videora into iTunes, then drag and drop that to your droid video folder on your sdcard. (I know that this works 100%)

2. I have not tried this yet but you can prolly just add the file from videora to your video folder on the sdcard.

Like I said the videora program does a fantastic job helping you through the converting and transfer process!

verakot

Reaction score
Looks like Videora is a good program. I actually use QuickTime for converting movies to AppleTV, so this should probably work for Droid as well.

verakot

Reaction score
Hey DVD Catalyst,

I copied a movie from my iTunes library on my Mac to my Droid yesterday and tried to play it on a default movie player as well as on the Meridian. Meridian complained that the screen of the movie is too large for the Droid, however played it anyway. The screen and sound was delayed while playing it. I am wondering why this happens. Even though I heard your program is quite good, I am not sure if I want to convert the movies to yet another format - just for Droid. Do you have a program for Mac as well?

D

dvdcatalyst

Hey DVD Catalyst,

I copied a movie from my iTunes library on my Mac to my Droid yesterday and tried to play it on a default movie player as well as on the Meridian. Meridian complained that the screen of the movie is too large for the Droid, however played it anyway. The screen and sound was delayed while playing it. I am wondering why this happens. Even though I heard your program is quite good, I am not sure if I want to convert the movies to yet another format - just for Droid. Do you have a program for Mac as well?

UInfortunately there is no MAC version of DVD Catalyst at this point, however, there is Handbrake, or Bootcamp/VMWARE Fusion/Parallels Desktop

As for the video, most likely either the quality setting is too high on the iTunes videos, or because the video is too big, the downscaling (process to make the video fit on your Droids screen) takes too much power to play the video properly. Either way, the files you have will need to be modified in some form, just so they play properly.
SInce you mentioned that tyhe files you transferred do play on the Droid, I assume they are not iTunes Store videos (those are protected) so you are already using something to make these videos.
This little info might help though. iPhone/iPod Touch/Classic/Nano can actually play video of a maximum of 720x480 (unlike Apple's own specs of 640x480 as the max) Video of this size will play properly on your Droid as well, so unless you are using an AppleTV, the files you have for your Droid (as long as they are 720x480 or less) will play fine on an iPod/iPhone as well.

verakot

Reaction score
I use QuickTime Pro /Export to iTunes feature to convert a movie on my Mac for my AppleTV. It take 7-9 hours to convert an AVI movie to iTunes format though. So I guess I'd need your converter for a Droid unless they make a video player compatible with iPhone/iPod movies?

D

dvdcatalyst

I use QuickTime Pro /Export to iTunes feature to convert a movie on my Mac for my AppleTV. It take 7-9 hours to convert an AVI movie to iTunes format though. So I guess I'd need your converter for a Droid unless they make a video player compatible with iPhone/iPod movies?
Nah,
Rather than picking the AppleTV profile, pick the iPhone profile. it will work.
If I recall correctly, QTPro has options to set some custom settings. you can change the screensize there, just modify the iPhone profile a bit.

There is an h264 accelerator thingy for the MAC. If you do a lot of movies for your AppleTV AND your Droid, it might be worth investing in. Turbo.264 HD H.264 Encoder

verakot

Reaction score
Nah,
Rather than picking the AppleTV profile, pick the iPhone profile. it will work.
If I recall correctly, QTPro has options to set some custom settings. you can change the screensize there, just modify the iPhone profile a bit.

There is an h264 accelerator thingy for the MAC. If you do a lot of movies for your AppleTV AND your Droid, it might be worth investing in. Turbo.264 HD H.264 Encoder

Your are right, setting QuickTime Pro to iPhone did the job - the movies work perfectly well on my Droid now!

Not sure about this h264 "thingy" - I checked out the link but still do not understand how it helps. Can you elaborate on this?

D

dvdcatalyst

the h264 thingy is like a special processor for just the quicktime conversions.
Because it's specialized for the quicktime pro conversions (h264) it will make your conversions a lot faster. In addition, now when you are converting, it also slows down your Mac, because this thingy does the work, your MAC is still as fast as ever. You could probably even play a game while it's doing its job.

It plugs in the USB port, nothing complicated.

verakot

Reaction score
I use VoltaicHD to convert my HD videos to MOV format that is acceptable for iMovies, but it takes a while and usually do it at night so I do not have to work on my Mac. Since I have an older (non-Intel) Mac I'd probably need The Elgato Turbo.264?