Hyundai and Kia May Offer Android-Based Systems in Cars Next Year

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
kia-hyundai-sonata-optima.jpg

Here's an exciting pseudo-follow-up to our Android OS in a Tesla Model S article: It looks like Kia and Hyundai are going to beat Elon Musk to the punch in getting Android into their automobiles. According to the latest report, not only are the two South Korean auto-makers planning on using an Android based UVN in their cars, they are already deep into development and plan to introduce it early next year!

Supposedly, Kia and Hyundai will have their Android-based UVO 2.0 UVN system ready for prime-time and plan to bring it to all of their cars in 2014. It even has its own app store and can connect to Android or iOS devices for multimedia playback. Can you imagine having Google Maps up for your in-dash GPS mapping system? Just awesome!

They are even working on some advanced functionality. It was described as a, "telematics function that can remotely control the car through the WiFi and modem connection." No details where revealed about what that can do, but it sounds very James Bond-esque. We approve!

Source: Pocket-Lint

WestOkid

Reaction score
This is interesting, but I have reservations because it will come down to the implementation. Sometimes we connect Google and Android because Google writes the core code. That said, Android is open source, but Google services (e.g. maps, gmail, etc) are not. So if we get cars that have Google services like Maps and Gmail built-in, with the ability to run other apps, that is great. The possibilities are endless.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I've been tempted to mod my center console and put my first gen Nexus 7 in my dash. I'm just not that good at modding and don't want anything turning out looking bad and having to look at it for the rest of my car's life.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I like to think I can get by a few minutes a day without having to purchase a $40 data plan for my car radio