Hacker King George Hotz Is Working On A DIY Self Driving Car!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

This may be a bit of subject, but was too cool to not talk about it! George Hotz otherwise known as "GeoHotz" or the father of jailbreaking is pretty well known in the hacking community. Many Android fans know him as the guy that swooped in and claimed the $20k bounty for the Galaxy S5 root. Many other hackers and security experts had worked on the S5 before calling the task of rooting it impossible. Others may know him for his work jailbreaking the PS3 after Sony sent out an update removing the feature which allowed users to run Linux on the system.

Hotz has put the black hat hacking behind him in favor of working for big tech companies. He has bounced from job to job all of which were just not intellectually satisfying for him. He turned down a multimillion dollar deal from Elon Musk to work on Tesla's Autopilot system. He has decided to create his own self driving car system. He calls it Comma ai and it will be a direct competitor to Mobileye which powers Tesla's autopilot system.

This is based on the Acura ILX Sedan. It's currently a month or so in the making and already kind of works. Hotz says that it is different in that it learns from human drivers and mimics natural driving rather than being programmed to a set of predetermined rules. To train his system he will be driving Uber for the next month or so. Eventually Hotz hopes to sell his system to automakers or to consumers directly as an aftermarket kit for about $1,000. How cool would it be if you could convert your existing car to a self driving car for $1,000? Any of you interested in something like this?

via Bloomberg

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
First and foremost the ILX does not have ALL the sensors you would want for a self driving car.
I work in hardware and have done design of fault tolerant systems. Does he have host failover?
What about additional sensors?

To think in a month he could build a better driving system in a month than BMW, Google, Tesla, etc. AND account for all the safety concerns and nuances make him an arrogant idiot.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There is a difference between building a self-driving car and building a safe, legal self-driving car.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I say good on him!
You gotta start somewhere and for him to take on something so ambitious, says a lot. Look at Elon Musk, he started from scratch, with everyone telling him it couldn't be done, and eventually made Tesla one of the best electric vehicles on the market, WITH self driving capabilities. Hotz is no Musk, but he's got the wherewithal to ignore the naysayers and go after what he wants. He's got a big set of brass ones on him, but that's what it takes to compete against the big guys. More power to him!

S5 tap'n

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Took musk a good decade or more and a few billion $ to perfect his model s.

This guy is in for a trip!

Reactions: cr6

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Sounds like an ego thing for Holtz.. He should have taken Tesla's offer.. but I'll bet he can't get along in a corporate environment.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I can't say I can put my life in the hands of a $1000 add on to drive my car for me.... What do most cell phones cost now??? $500 to $700? An average large screen costs more than $1000....

I will have to pass on this... Even the whole self driving car for me isn't anything I will be comfortable with anytime soon.... Even a car that parks itself would keep me on edge.

Reactions: cr6