Verizon Collaborates with BMW, Hyundai, Toyota & Others to Bring 4G LTE to Cars

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
4G-LTE-Vehicle-Interior.jpg

How does using your car for a 4G LTE wireless hotspot sound? Apparently it sounds good to Verizon and several car manufacturers. Verizon has brought together a consortium of companies to bring 4G LTE to automobiles. They aren't the first to do this as there are some other auto manufacturer team-ups that have been working on the idea for a while. Still, Verizon is calling theirs the 4G Venture Forum for Connected Cars, and, so far they have an impressive and growing list of car Manufacturers working with them, including BMW, Honda, Hyundai, Kia and Toyota. Additionally, Verizon has recruited the Massachusetts Institute of Technology mechanical engineering professor Sanjay Sarma to assist with the tech. Here's a full press release with more details,

Verizon Joins With Leading Global Auto Companies To Establish 4G Venture Forum for Connected Cars

BASKING RIDGE, N.J., June 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ – Verizon today announced the formation of the 4G Venture Forum for Connected Cars, a group of leading global automotive companies brought together by Verizon to accelerate the pace of innovation across the automotive and telematics 4G LTE ecosystem.

BMW, Honda, Hyundai Motor Company, Kia Motors and Toyota Motor Sales, Inc. are joining Verizon as the initial members of the Forum. Professor Sanjay Sarma of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology also joins the Forum, providing members a link to track important advancements in related academic research. The group will collaborate and explore ways to deliver connectivity to vehicles of all types, by leveraging open standards and discussing ways to accelerate development of the 4G LTE ecosystem across automotive OEMs, suppliers, device manufacturers, application developers and content publishers.

“There are many challenges to designing next generation telematics and infotainment solutions, including supporting safe and responsible driving, advancing vehicle-to-vehicle solutions and improving sustainability, among others,” said Tami Erwin, chief marketing officer for Verizon Wireless. ”As an innovator in the technology industry, Verizon is a natural impetus for this collaboration, which we all expect will include other companies and spur results that will benefit not only the industry, but millions of consumers around the world.”

Telematics is a growing opportunity that integrates telecommunications and information into vehicles to provide functionality to drivers and passengers. The 4G Venture Forum for Connected Cars will help discover ways to increase the value of services, ranging from embedded cloud-connected solutions to mobile applications; help define features and explore safety systems; and encourage third-party developers in this space.

Verizon has a strong commitment to collaboration and innovation through its Innovation Program, and through the 4G Venture Forum, which was created in 2009 to identify and support new ideas related to advanced wireless networks and to provide market validation for innovative companies. The 4G Venture Forum for Connected Cars complements and extends the approach of the 4G Venture Forum, focusing exclusively on the automotive space to address the specific needs of this growing market.

Verizon Wireless has the largest 4G LTE network, now available in 258 markets and covering more than two-thirds of the U.S. population. The Forum may support and fund advancements regardless of underlying network technology; companies will not be obligated to work with Verizon and are not precluded from working with other service providers.

nikecar

Reaction score
nice. now slap more cars with android, the less I have to deal with Apple when its time to buy a new car. Throw Mazda and Nissan in there and you've got most of the ones i'd be looking at when time to get a new car.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
nice. now slap more cars with android, the less I have to deal with Apple when its time to buy a new car. Throw Mazda and Nissan in there and you've got most of the ones i'd be looking at when time to get a new car.

+1 too many IOS compatible products... DROID needs to catch up.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I find it amusing that you've got two Korean car companies, two Japanese car companies and a European car company as part of this consortium. No love for the American manufacturers, huh? :blink:

nikecar

Reaction score
I find it amusing that you've got two Korean car companies, two Japanese car companies and a European car company as part of this consortium. No love for the American manufacturers, huh? :blink:
Ford wants to do it themselves, but since they are buddies with ATT, I'm sure not.

Chevy needs a laon by the government to even think about LTE, and is Dodge even alive>

52brandon

Reaction score
I actually think Toyota is responsible for more US jobs than any US mfr, aside from maybe GM
Ford wants to do it themselves, but since they are buddies with ATT, I'm sure not.

Chevy needs a laon by the government to even think about LTE, and is Dodge even alive>
think Chevy just posted it's best year ever. Dodge/Chrysler are coming back too. I love the new viper

skennelly

Reaction score
With lte phones, tablets, and now cars, this is where a family data plan makes sense. Not having to buy a separate data plan for each device could potentially save some money as long as they offer a high enough data amount reasonably. My wife hardly uses any data. And by the time my three daughters are old enough to have smartphones, cars, and tablets it would certainly make sense. We could potentially have a need for 15 data plans @ $30 each would be $450 per month.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
now this is where vzw master plan of tier data comes into play. it will be a non stop data usage. i mean with the phone i can put it down. but if i go from phone then get into my car using internet radio, movies etc then to tablet, non stop consuming of data. people might use 1 gig on their phone but when its in the car and u have kids or passengers data use will go way up. imo

Reaction score
They will have to bring unlimited data back. People will use 2 gig or 4 gigs up like crazy

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Its funny you mention that. I found out through the rumor mill that they're pushing people off of 3g to 4g because 4g is cheaper... now what this means for 4g unlimited data in the future.. idk. But you never know. :)

skennelly

Reaction score
Its funny you mention that. I found out through the rumor mill that they're pushing people off of 3g to 4g because 4g is cheaper... now what this means for 4g unlimited data in the future.. idk. But you never know. :)

Unfortunately, the days of unlimited data are gone forever.

nikecar

Reaction score
skennelly said:
Unfortunately, the days of unlimited data are gone forever.

Incorrect partially. The days for new subscribers is over. It's not over for the grandfathered plans if you pay full retail for a phone when you renew after the 28th of this month.

goosedeath

Reaction score
52brandon said:
I actually think Toyota is responsible for more US jobs than any US mfr, aside from maybe GM

think Chevy just posted it's best year ever. Dodge/Chrysler are coming back too. I love the new viper

If they posted their best year ever, why hasn't the govt sold all of its stake in GM? Just saying.