Huge Moto X Leak Reveals Pics, Benchmarks & Full Specs

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have compromised on some things over the past few years. Storage wont be one.

Google is really missing the mark on storage. I get they want everyone to use the cloud, but the simple fact is between areas of no signal and limited data plans, most people aren't going to keep their music in the cloud. Or maybe I'm off-base and they are simply trying to deliver an economical device and not be all things to all people with the Moto X.

It's interesting to me that while Android devices skimp on storage, sometimes not even having an SD, Apple keeps adding storage with every new model.

While we're on the subject, the other dumb thing is some apps will only utilize the external SD. So if you swap SD's or want to dedicate it for your media content you'll have issues.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Google is really missing the mark on storage. I get they want everyone to use the cloud, but the simple fact is between areas of no signal and limited data plans, most people aren't going to keep their music in the cloud. Or maybe I'm off-base and they are simply trying to deliver an economical device and not be all things to all people with the Moto X.

It's interesting to me that while Android devices skimp on storage, sometimes not even having an SD, Apple keeps adding storage with every new model.

While we're on the subject, the other dumb thing is some apps will only utilize the external SD. So if you swap SD's or want to dedicate it for your media content you'll have issues.

Google has been pushing for internal storage for multiple reasons. I believe the X may be the beginning of a Samsung Galaxy type lineup, this first device being midrange with a beast to follow.

Apps that use external storage only are poorly written or some unforeseen issue arose by using an internal/external combination.

Apple doesn't have SD storage, they increase internal and overcharge for it. If you could buy the base iPhone and up the storage by 32GB for a few dollars more with an SD card why would you pay $150 more for the 32GB model...you wouldn't ;-)

Google isn't trying to get you in the same way, they have reasons for internal only. That said a device really needs 32GB if there is no SD slot, especially when smartphones have began replacing laptops.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Google isn't trying to get you in the same way, they have reasons for internal only. That said a device really needs 32GB if there is no SD slot, especially when smartphones have began replacing laptops.

The simple fact remains that Apple provides options for people that need/want a lot of storage. A handful of Android devices, including some high-end ones - and in particular Google devices - give NO SUCH OPTION.

Google wants you to use the cloud for your music, but someone that might do that presumably listens to too much music to stream it from the cloud on a limited data plan. That is an absolute fail of a strategy. 32 gigs of internal storage (more like 26-28) is peanuts for the picture/video/music content that many people want on-demand from their devices. I don't want to be forced to pick and choose what goes on my device, nor do I have the time.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
not impressed with small battery and no sd card with only 16gb. waiting for something else. NEXT!

xtor

Reaction score
A device that isn't out yet is a fail, if your not interested why post in this thread?

I was hoping to go back to moto, but I don't see this as a top tier phone, I've had all their top phone's until I got a note 2. Moto needs to step up or be left behind like blackberry. I think moto is working on something that's gonna be big:), I guess I'll wait for the next one. If you get a new phone and it's not as great or better as your old phone, what's the point?

sent from a note yee (2)

Last edited:

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I was hoping to go back to moto, but I don't see this as a top tier phone, I've had all their top phone's until I got a note 2. Moto needs to step up or be left behind like blackberry. I think moto is working on something that's gonna be big:), I guess I'll wait for the next one. If you get a new phone and it's not as great as your old phone, what's the point?

sent from a note yee (2)

If the rumors are correct about tomorrow, the Droid Ultra should be the next big Moto thing. I would rather have the RAZR HD than the Moto X.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I was hoping to go back to moto, but I don't see this as a top tier phone, I've had all their top phone's until I got a note 2. Moto needs to step up or be left behind like blackberry. I think moto is working on something that's gonna be big:), I guess I'll wait for the next one. If you get a new phone and it's not as great or better as your old phone, what's the point?

sent from a note yee (2)

Motorola indeed needs a new top tier device. You must see everyone doesn't need the newest, most expensive device. Look at Samsung, they have $150 prepay devices and everything in between...this in no way takes away from the S4 or Note II.

I believe this device is the beginning of a Galaxy like lineup, not the top of the heap yet. I look at this particular device like a RAZR M alternative, for the folks looking at midrange stuff.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I don't think this is the only variant of this phone. Moto has hinted that some of the specs will have options. I'm willing to bet that you can choose your memory size and that a 32GB version WILL be available either at launch or soon thereafter... I hope.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I have seen articles that there is gonna be a model with 32GB storage. That sounds better...still want and prefer the SD card tho. Battery size is the next thing. The Droid Maxx might be my next phone.

Last edited: