HTC remote NDIS error--can't USB tether

ianbargle

Reaction score
Hi all,

I already posted this on the xdadevelopers, but I thought I'd open it up to a wider audience.

I'm having issues with USB tethering with the new HTC One (T-Mobile). I'm running Windows XP Professional SP2 and Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean).

I installed the latest HTC Sync Manager (version 2.0.53.0) from the web, but I can't seem to get the "HTC remote NDIS device" to start. I see an error code in Windows device manager: This device cannot start. (Code 10). I can recognize the phone as a mass storage device and sync with the Sync Manager. I can also navigate the file system using Windows explorer.

I also applied the RNDIS hotfix for Windows (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959765), but no luck. I needed this to get USB tethering to work with my Motorola Droid Bionic (also running Android 4.1.2 on Verizon).

Bluetooth tethering works as does tethering with PDANet. USB tethering also works fine on this computer with my Motorola Droid Bionic.

I called T-Mobile to confirm that they're not blocking tethering capability on their end. Anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks!

OP
I

ianbargle

Reaction score
I got an update from HTC. In short, their RNDIS drivers don't support Windows XP SP2. And they don't ever plan on supporting SP2.