HTC Mail App stopped working with Yahoo Account

Shiv989

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone else is having this problem. (FYI I searched around and say that a few discussions threads had mentioned it, but it seemed like it all went back to normal). So I have the HTC incredible and use the HTC mail app to use my yahoo account. This afternoon it stop syncing. i.e. show me emails that I had already read and deleted via Yahoo using a computer. I deleted account on the phone and re-activated, to now get no mails to show up when refreshing, however my folders for all my Yahoo mail are shown under the folder section. Again deleted account, turned off phone, took out battery, waited, and did the who process all over only to now have it tell me Authentication Failed. Please verify your username/password. It was working fine yesterday and for the past year, but not issues. Also have heard that the HTC App works Yahoo when on 3G and not Wi-Fi, which i don't believe since I run wi-fi and update my email regularly. I also set-up my email to update when i click refresh, not 15 min like is has it set manually, I just like checking and hit refresh when i feel like it. In any case was wondering if anyone has any pointers or fixes for this issues. I did not download the Yahoo Mail app from droid market as I had done it previously, but did not like the interface and cache issues.

Sidenote, I have an Iphone 3gs - (glorified ipod now since no phone use) which i still have my Yahoo account linked to and i use at the house (wi-fi to check my email at times when i left my droid downstairs and am too lazy to get it since i have my iphone docked right next to my bed. could this be an issue? too many accounts syncd to yahoo, causing it to go screwey?

well i've written a novel on this issues, hopefully someone has a bright idea for the fix, otherwise it's taking it to verizon and getting a new phone since it's still under warranty just for fun

M

Mwsr

I just got a inc 2 and yahoo will not work with mine since iv got it only my AOL. I had to get maildroid and use for my yahoos.

midweststreetryders.com

rsdroid

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone else is having this problem. (FYI I searched around and say that a few discussions threads had mentioned it, but it seemed like it all went back to normal). So I have the HTC incredible and use the HTC mail app to use my yahoo account. This afternoon it stop syncing. i.e. show me emails that I had already read and deleted via Yahoo using a computer. I deleted account on the phone and re-activated, to now get no mails to show up when refreshing, however my folders for all my Yahoo mail are shown under the folder section. Again deleted account, turned off phone, took out battery, waited, and did the who process all over only to now have it tell me Authentication Failed. Please verify your username/password. It was working fine yesterday and for the past year, but not issues. Also have heard that the HTC App works Yahoo when on 3G and not Wi-Fi, which i don't believe since I run wi-fi and update my email regularly. I also set-up my email to update when i click refresh, not 15 min like is has it set manually, I just like checking and hit refresh when i feel like it. In any case was wondering if anyone has any pointers or fixes for this issues. I did not download the Yahoo Mail app from droid market as I had done it previously, but did not like the interface and cache issues.

Sidenote, I have an Iphone 3gs - (glorified ipod now since no phone use) which i still have my Yahoo account linked to and i use at the house (wi-fi to check my email at times when i left my droid downstairs and am too lazy to get it since i have my iphone docked right next to my bed. could this be an issue? too many accounts syncd to yahoo, causing it to go screwey?

well i've written a novel on this issues, hopefully someone has a bright idea for the fix, otherwise it's taking it to verizon and getting a new phone since it's still under warranty just for fun

This happened to me also and at the exact same time as you! I went through all the steps you did and nothing. It did reload the account several times, but keeps showing no mail, even though all the folders are there, just like you described.

I'm wondering if Yahoo has decided not to play ball with android mail apps anymore?

I hope it starts working again, but in the meantime I downloaded the Yahoo Mail app from the market. Maybe that's what yahoo wants and that's why it quit working?

franklin411

Reaction score
I'm having the issue too. Synch stopped working yesterday morning, and nothing has been able to fix it (changing settings, deleting accounts, rebooting, hard rebooting).

This appears to be a problem on Yahoo's end. I have two Yahoo accounts on my Incredible (using the OEM mail app). One works fine, and the other doesn't.

Goldnkitty69

Reaction score
You are not alone!!

I have a EVO by Sprint and I am experiencing the exact same problem. I spoke to Sprint yesterday and the representative said that he found information about the fact that yahoo is currently servicing the servers. And currently only the mobile yahoo app will work at this time to access my mail. That sucks!!

M

Mwsr

Yahoo is no longer working with maildroid either..

midweststreetryders.com

jalee7978

Reaction score
I just talked to Verizon and they said yahoo is making you pay for a plus account to use their email in phone apps.

franklin411

Reaction score
I just talked to Verizon and they said yahoo is making you pay for a plus account to use their email in phone apps.

Not true. I have two yahoo accounts on my phone (ie two different email addresses...one I use for important email, and the other I use for online ordering/junk mail/etc...). One works just fine..no hiccups. The other doesn't.

mossismo

Reaction score
mail app

I just wanted to put some input into this as well i work for tmobile and and unable to get my native email app to work either the same time yours stopped so has mine so i removed and reset up again manually the way i had to before. when i had first gotten my phone i was able to just go in the native mail app and sign in w/ username and password a couple of months ago i stopped getting my mail and tied the same way saying not able to communicate w/ the server... ok fine so i looked up the manual setup and did that was able to use that perfectly fine for a couple of more months so didn't think anything of it when it happened again just figured ok gotta do the same thing did it multiple times and able to set up the email account fine but no emails are being retrieved or sent... frustrating b/c like you i prefer to use the native app faster and uses less memory... still to this day not able to set up the email account thinking they just want us to use the app but if i hear any types of workarounds or it starts working again will post immanently to let you know

jalee7978

Reaction score
I'm not very tech savvy, so I have no clue how to do anything very fancy with setting up email in different formats and things like that. I did delete my yahoo account from my mail app and installed the yahoo mail app from yahoo. My email account was hacked an hour later. The only way I can get my email on my phone now is to go through the browser. Ugh!!!

franklin411

Reaction score
This is some kind of a yahoo problem. Google "yahoo android mail not working" and it's all over the net. Same behavior--you can send email, but not receive incoming mail. People that have multiple accounts note that one account works and the other doesn't. Some people have created new accounts and those work, while others have created new accounts and they won't.

There were news reports that Yahoo was doing some server work a few weeks ago. I wonder if they moved some accounts to different servers and that's why some work and some don't despite having the same setup on the user's end.

Orange14

Reaction score
Yes, there was some kind of glitch that I think all of us experienced. I was wondering why I wasn't getting any IMAP e-mail! I was able to send e-mail OK. I also kept getting an occasional 'log in failed' message when trying to synch. I switched the settings last evening to using a POP3 account with Yahoo and that seems to work. Trouble is this downloads e-mails and retains them on my Droid Incredible even when my computer e-mail is running since POP3 (as I understand it) downloads from the server rather than query it each time as IMAP does.

I would be interested to know if anyone has reconfigured IMAP and gotten it to work properly. At any rate for those who want to change over to POP3, it seems to work fine.

EDIT: FWIW, I have a complaint filed with Yahoo Plus about this whole thing and will report back once I get an answer. It must be that they have refused to recognize IMAP recieve queries on the server. I will report back on their response (which of course "due to unusually high customer volume" will be tomorrow.

Last edited:

franklin411

Reaction score
Mail just came through...I did nothing, so my guess is that Yahoo addressed the issue on their side.