HTC Incredible vs. Motorola Droid vs. Nexus One Debate

joeLENN1012

Reaction score
personally the droid i believe is better... i really do not like HTC

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are advantages and disadvantages. AMOLED displays use less power but the drawback is that they’re less visible in sunlight and that means it’s hard to see the Incredible’s screen if you’re outdoors in bright sunlight. Its just going to come down to user choice.

Couple of interesting links.

[video=youtube;YBxp9IcW1-g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBxp9IcW1-g"]YouTube - LCD vs OLED Displays, What are the advantages CES 2009[/video]

[video=youtube;IpPJ6uYbS9o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpPJ6uYbS9o"]YouTube - AMOLED vs Traditional LCD[/video]

HCdroid

Reaction score
Frankly if it is the same AMOLED screen as the N1 get ready to be very very frustrated when looking at the screen outdoors...heck the Incredible could have Froyo loaded in it and still would be a no thanks for me.... Droid ftw :motdroidvert:

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Frankly if it is the same AMOLED screen as the N1 get ready to be very very frustrated when looking at the screen outdoors...heck the Incredible could have Froyo loaded in it and still would be a no thanks for me.... Droid ftw :motdroidvert:

Well, I just got done going outside with my friends Nexus One, and my Droid. Brightness for both all the way up.

My conclusion...........?

Their both very dim outside. Mind you its cloudy today with little sun. When comparing, the Droid having a better screen in sunlight is overrated. The Nexus One screen is dimmer but its so mi-nute that it shouldn't even matter.

Bottom line I saw it for myself, and I can't be bias, just because I love my droid. They both suck in the sunlight.

rkeller62

Reaction score
The Droid screen is LCD, and yes the AMOLED screen is harder to see in the sun. That is a known issue for the Nexus1. And another thing, is that the H

Yeah I was gonna say that the video specs are kind of backwards. The DROID and N1 are standard def. and the Incredible is High def.

Incredible is not high def. it is 800x480 - a little better than the Droid. this is 480p standard def. Lowest res High Def is 720p which is actually 1280x720 pixels.

rkeller62

Reaction score
Droid has a keyboard. Until someone makes a multitouch software keyboard, Droid will be the best Android phone for me. Plus, in direct sunlight, you just have a crank up the brightness to make it perfectly clear and visible.

Is your screen really clear and visible in direct sunlight? If so, I have a hardware problem cause even with the brightness cranked all the way up I can barely read my screen on a bright day.

rkeller62

Reaction score
Incredible is not high def. it is 720x480 just like the Droid. this is 480p standard def. Lowest res High Def is 720p which is actually 1280x720 pixels.

He wasn't talking about the screen. He was referring to the HTC Incredible capturing video in 800x480.

I realized that. I edited my post for the incorrect res (800 vs 720), but the fact remains that 800x480 is not a high def resolution, it is just a different aspect ratio than the Droid of a 480p standard def video resolution.

virtualhuman

Reaction score
It's funny, I came into this thread thinking about the screens, just not the brightness...

For me the biggest issue is the PenTile matrix and how it affects the effective resolution of the display in both the Nexus One and the Incredible (if it really is the exact same screen). I use my phone to do a good bit of web browsing - mostly reading text, which is precisely what suffers in that display type.

dboss007

Reaction score
Have to say that there's a lot of factor's I like related to the Incredible, however I'm extremely happy with my Droid. The fact that I have it rooted and overclocked to 800MHz probably plays a big part in my gratification with the Droid, but IMO that's one of the Droid's advantages. As someone already mentioned, the development community with the Droid is huge which means there's so many more options for ROM's, apps, etc. on the Droid. So, given those factor's I'll stick with the Droid at this point and I'll just wait for the Droid2 to come out. :)

Yodes

Reaction score
I don't think it's fair to compare these phones, as Boy Genius said, "for those of you who are pinning the DROID and Incredible against each other, they are two completely different animals."

fr4c

Reaction score
I'm mostly interested in the sound quality of the phone, as that is the only issue thats bugging me on my Droid.

dboss007

Reaction score
I'm mostly interested in the sound quality of the phone, as that is the only issue thats bugging me on my Droid.

Really??? Honestly, the Droid is by far the best cell phone I've ever used for sound quality. It really sounds like I'm using a hard line rather than a cell phone.

Darkseider

Reaction score
My opinion is that the Droid is the overall superior device. Simply due to the community behind it and what can be done when rooted. Even though the processor is slower it can be OC'd. There is a dedicated GPU that does help in the graphics dept. The lack of RAM is not really that big a deal seeing that Android as an OS has incredible memory management. Think of it this way.

Rooted, OC'd to 800Mhz - 1Ghz, Apps2SD and Swap on a Class 10 MicroSD card. The Droid would cost you NEW, $20 with a 2yr. contract and $100 for the 16 gig Class 10 MicroSD. That coupled with the incredible dev community and you have a winner of a device. Not to say that the Nexus or Incredible aren't stellar devices but at this time I believe the Droid has the most to offer overall.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
The Droid's physical keyboard gets my vote as well. All of us come from a physical keyboard generation so in most cases, the lack of a physical keyboard will just seem like one less option, and who likes less options? Personally, I found the Droid's physical keyboard awkward for all of about a couple days. If I can type 80+ wpm on a computer keyboard it wouldn't surprise me if I was tapping out 50-60+ on the Droid's keyboard, barely even noticeable when I switch from Gmail chat to Gtalk on the phone.

As far as screens go, they all have nice displays which are ALL hard to read in direct sunlight. Screens of any kind will ALWAYS be hard to read when direct sunlight is pouring down on them.

One thing the OP didn't cover that I think many people will find important even with insurance, is durability. It's very likely that with such large screens, the likelyhood of any of these phones experiencing a decent drop and coming out unscathed is unlikely. However if I had to put a bet on survivors, it wouldn't be on the overly plastic-y Incredible or the Nexus One; the two look like they'd literally snap in half.

Also I don't know if anyone corrected the OP or if I'm just mistaken but in regards to internal storage, isn't the 8GB on the Incredible internal? Does it come with a memory card or no?

Just as well I'm sure many have pointed this out but if you're seriously basing your next phone purchase on video and picture quality then you're lacking upstairs (without calling anyone [Edited by FoxKat for content]. ;) ). If you want high def pictures and video, Get. A. Camera. If you're going to be a cheapskate and expect Blue Ray quality imagery out of a $200 phone you buy under contract, then you'll get what you pay for. Chunk out a grand or two; you'll be much happier with the results.

Last edited by a moderator:

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com
i will not be buying any HTC product, first i think their version of android looks like a 5 year olds toy computer(except the nexus one). second their phones look like tinker toys and thier almost all made of plastic(exeption it the legend). no keyboard on their latest phones is not good for some of us(i like the old days of the G1). other than that i think they dont put much thought into their Sense UI(the only thing i like is the muti touch switching home screens).

IMO droid rules all verizon android phones for now.