HTC Incredible vs. Motorola Droid vs. Nexus One Debate

I H8 5_0 Stangs

Reaction score
Obviously as a Motorola Droid owner I am going to be a bit bias towards it. But I wanted to open up a thread for everyone to discuss and debate which of these high-end smartphones is best.

Opinions are welcomed, but please be able to distinguish opinion vs. fact when responding to members posts.

HARDWARE

I will start off by saying I personally think the Droid is still the best option SOLELY because I like having a physical keyboard. Some people hate it, but it works for me just fine. Sure its a little cramped, but I am used to it by now. I rarely use the on screen keyboard.

Processor/RAM

Incredible - 1 GHz Snapdragon 512MB
Nexus One - 1 GHz Snapdragon 512MB
Droid - 550mHz Cortex 256MB

The Incredible and Nexus One do have the lightning fast snapdragon processor, but as of right now, this is not very significant, because the Moto Droid can do everything the other phones can do...aka run Android 2.1 but Time will tell if the Droid's slower processor will be its Achilles heel.

SCREEN

Incredible - 3.7" 480 x 800 16 bit AMOLED
Nexus One - 3.7" 480 x 800 16 bit AMOLED
Droid - 3.7" 480 x 854 24 bit

That being said, the Droid has the highest resolution screen, sure 480 x 854 is only a tad higher than the Incredible and Nexus one's 480 x 800, but something also worth noting is that the Droid's screen is 24 bit (16.7 Million colors) and the Nexus One and HTC Incredible's are only 16 bit (65,000 colors)

However, the Nex One and Incred have an AMOLED screen which appears "brighter" in direct sunlight so that is plus for those two phones.

CAMERA

Incredible - 8MP with 640 x 480 video capture
Nexus One - 5MP with 720 x 480 video capture (20 fps)
Droid - 5MP with 720 x 480 video capture (24 fps)

MEMORY CARD/STORAGE

Incredible 8GB
Nexus One 4GB
Droid 16GB

Obviously you can go out and buy a 32GB for any of these, but as far as not having to shell out any more $$$ the edge here goes to the Droid

to be continued.... (need to study for a test haha)

joker402

Reaction score
I don't like sense ui so ima wait for the next android phone that vz pushes or I might get the n1 if I can get a good deal but for now I'm sticking with droid. Ki don't use the camera that much so I don't need 8mp and I have a 16 gig card also I'm running stock but once I root again I can go 800 oc and still be satisfied with the speed.

Reaction score
Great thread my opinion the Droid win hands down because of the amazing community it had behind it.

OP
I

I H8 5_0 Stangs

Reaction score
the sense UI might become an issue for the incredible when google comes out with a 2.2 Android update too I think

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
However, the Nex One and Incred have an AMOLED screen which appears "brighter" in direct sunlight so that is plus for those two phones....

Interesting comment. I've read precisely the opposite in several reviews. Or more specifically that the AMOLED screen is much more subject to problems of glare in direct sunlight.

OP
I

I H8 5_0 Stangs

Reaction score
However, the Nex One and Incred have an AMOLED screen which appears "brighter" in direct sunlight so that is plus for those two phones....

Interesting comment. I've read precisely the opposite in several reviews. Or more specifically that the AMOLED screen is much more subject to problems of glare in direct sunlight.

Really? the phonescoop.com review I read said that the AMOLED screen was easier to read in sunlight compared to the droid. I also read that somewhere else but I forget where. Do you know what "technology" the droid's screen is? I can't find the exact name for it anywhere

mach330

Reaction score
preorderd the droid inc today. i'll review it in 10 days. finally!!!

JCo352

Reaction score
The Droid screen is LCD, and yes the AMOLED screen is harder to see in the sun. That is a known issue for the Nexus1. And another thing, is that the HTC Incredible, can capture video in 800x480.

dima1109

Reaction score
Droid has a keyboard. Until someone makes a multitouch software keyboard, Droid will be the best Android phone for me. Plus, in direct sunlight, you just have a crank up the brightness to make it perfectly clear and visible.

Reaction score
Droid has a keyboard. Until someone makes a multitouch software keyboard, Droid will be the best Android phone for me. Plus, in direct sunlight, you just have a crank up the brightness to make it perfectly clear and visible.
This

i will always need a keyboard, i cant stand only having a touchscreen keyboard, because sometimes you just need that hard keyboard.

iPirate

Reaction score
sense ui is nasty, put that as a negative. i like as close to stock android as possible

cb2000a

Reaction score
The Droid screen is LCD, and yes the AMOLED screen is harder to see in the sun. That is a known issue for the Nexus1. And another thing, is that the HTC Incredible, can capture video in 800x480.

Yeah I was gonna say that the video specs are kind of backwards. The DROID and N1 are standard def. and the Incredible is High def.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Really? the phonescoop.com review I read said that the AMOLED screen was easier to read in sunlight compared to the droid. I also read that somewhere else but I forget where. Do you know what "technology" the droid's screen is? I can't find the exact name for it anywhere

Here's a fairly common (though among the harshest) commentary on the screen from Engadget...

"...Another somewhat major issue that we struggled with on the Incredible (just as we did on the Nexus One) was the awful screen visibility in bright daylight. We had numerous occasions where we simply could not answer a call or take a picture due to the AMOLED display's poor showing outdoors. In overcast settings (such as the one above) it was usually bearable, and If you crank the brightness all the way up on sunnier days you can get some visibility, though once you're outside and can't see the display, that's a bit of a challenge. In all honesty, we love certain aspects of these screens, but we're perplexed as to why HTC continues to use this same display when it's clear the daylight performance is hamstrung..."

Frankly, I'm inclined to make this judgment myself when the phone is available in a VZW store. But since one of the key features of the Droid was that I could crank up the brightness and use the phone outdoors, if my impression matched Engadget's, it would be a dealbreaker for me.

queueman

Reaction score
Moto Droid vs Incredible

Thanks for the post.
When I saw the Incredible come out my first thought was that my 3 week old Motorola Droid was obsolete. However, the screen size is the same, both are Android 2.1, the Droid has a physical keyboard (which, actually I don't use often, but nice to have). Also I got the Moto Droid for $99 at Best Buy. I also got a special offer from Verizon for the car dock, car charger and media dock for $49.97. So for the price of the Incredible, I got the phone and cool accessories. The Motorola Droid hardware seems pretty sturdy as well.
The apps will be the same on both. I just added Google Earth yesterday and it is awesome!