HP touchpad

AOEO

Reaction score
Hi, have the discontinued HP touchpad ( that I'm using right now). It's a great piece of hardware, however, the apps lack greatly, there are some Apple/HP only apps like Zite (wonderful program). But Android dominates in apps.

I hear you can jailbreak/hack/do something/improve the touchpad to cupcake or ice cream sandwich, lol, I don't know much about it. And you can switch from HP to Android whenever, 2 tablets in one. But they say there's lots of glitches.

I've also heard Google/android bought the HP touchpad. If so, PLEASE make newer versions! The idea that I can use either HP or Android whenever I want on 2 tablets sounds wonderful.

However, It doesn't sound 95-100% safe yet. So I will wait but I found this forum today and thought I'd ask.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I did this to my uncle's HP Touchpad, I followed something similar to this (newer version of Android): How to install Android 4.0 on the HP TouchPad (CyanogenMod 9 Alpha) - Liliputing

It's definitely safe and you don't delete webOS, you simply just boot into Android. I thought I messed up a couple times, but it really is pretty simple, and as long as you read directions before you begin you'll be fine. If Android fails for some reason you'll still have webOS to turn back to.

OP
AOEO

AOEO

Reaction score
glad to hear it! To bad you can't remote control my touchpad and do it for me! I'm still nervous, but what you have said (and a trustworthy link) I think I will try.

OP
AOEO

AOEO

Reaction score
I l this place, it's so helpful.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
glad to hear it! To bad you can't remote control my touchpad and do it for me! I'm still nervous, but what you have said (and a trustworthy link) I think I will try.
Just keep reading and reading. If you can find a youtube video on it that may help you as well (easier to follow along maybe). I've since put it back to webOS and it runs fine.

OP
AOEO

AOEO

Reaction score
you didn't like it as android? Wikipedia says that in 2013 HP might start making them again, but better, they also said the newest update was February 22, so it may be better since you last had it.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
you didn't like it as android? Wikipedia says that in 2013 HP might start making them again, but better, they also said the newest update was February 22, so it may be better since you last had it.
wasn't mine, it was my uncle's. If it were me I would've kept Android

OP
AOEO

AOEO

Reaction score
ok, makes sense

chizzle , I'll look into that.

I watched that video Dizymond, I don't think I'm up to it, it is simple.... But sounds risky, I might wait, unroll it's easyer /safer. I'm only [information unavailable]-teen years old. And still need to learn a lot. But sounds fun!

OP
AOEO

AOEO

Reaction score
Question: I know all I need to do is do what he says, but could you upload the files (please re-watch the videos, he made a new one) to google docs, and I just download them from there?

alboboy10

Reaction score
My friend has android on it. He's starting like android more because if that tablet. Webos is nice but there's a reason it doesn't exist anymore. Lack of support is one of them

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Question: I know all I need to do is do what he says, but could you upload the files (please re-watch the videos, he made a new one) to google docs, and I just download them from there?
No idea what files would need to be uploaded, like I said I did it awhile back and things changed. That link I provided for you earlier has updates within that article and should be up to date.

My friend has android on it. He's starting like android more because if that tablet. Webos is nice but there's a reason it doesn't exist anymore. Lack of support is one of them
WebOS was great from my experience with it. The only problem I did have with it was it was painfully slow (booting up, opening apps, the browser, etc.) That could be due to lack of an update, but it was just slow, even compared to my Inc when I had it. May have good hardware specs, but the software seemed a bit too much for it. I'm sure if HP kept that division open it would've been improved, but still overall it's a fairly nice OS.

OP
AOEO

AOEO

Reaction score
I have a very technical savy friend, I'll ask him to supervise me while I do it.