How's that root going

aggiechase37

Reaction score
You guys that have rooted...having any problems? I had my OG rooted, and I'm super pumped about this. Battery life staying the same? Improving? RAM available changed at all? Mine started at around 150-180mb and would drop to around 100mb. Any improvement there with some of the crapware off the phone? Different apps loading into RAM? Stock launcher still lagging it's butt off?

I'm planning on rooting this weekend when I have some time. Would like to know if I'm going to run into any problems.

Someone leave a Droid 3 root review!

Thanks in advance and AWESOME WORK to whoever rooted this baby!

Cdjones187

Reaction score
Everything runs pretty much the same, redraw is faster but anything else I haven't noticed a difference. And to clear up this whole ram free hype that everyone is always ranting on about... The way android works is by keeping the memory as FULL as possible. The phone will run the same with 20mb of ram free as it would 300mb. The ram used will be about the same as it was before because even though you killed all those verizon apps and other bloat, your current apps will also start automatically depending on all sorts of variables. The android task manager actually learns how you use your phone over time, thus why using other task killers is a bad idea because they will actually slow your phone down and consume more battery.

But yes, it's awesome having root, finally able to restore my backups from June and use a bunch of my root apps. I don't think we will see a significant speed increase until some 'roms' start popping up, which could be a while. Also, root didn't impact me as much as it will for others, until the boot loader is unlocked nothing will compare to OG droid custom roms.

OP
A

aggiechase37

Reaction score
Not to hijack my own thread, but I've noticed that my phone will hit redraw and lag city when free RAM goes under 60mb. After a while though Android will seem to replenish itself to about 100mb.

The reason that there needs to be some free RAM is because there needs to be sufficient room for apps to be opened into. If there isn't enough room then Android has to start closing other apps. Also, once the app is open it might need to get bigger, like in the case of camera apps. If there isn't enough room for it to expand, and Android doesn't close other apps fast enough, that's when there are force closes.

So for reference, the Evo keeps a little over 200mb of free RAM all the time. Oh and by the way I've never seen the Evo lag like I've seen on the D3. And the Evo has HALF the processor.

So anyway, the question to you brave rooters who got rid of some bloat is, how much RAM are you seeing available on a fresh boot? How much after some use? I'm interested to know these things.

dazoe

Reaction score
I rooted and froze a bunch of the bloat ware and vcast apps. After I noted a big speed boost. I figured I'd try the stock launcher. But with the stock launcher it went back to lagging and taking forever to load the app list. So im sticking with launcher pro. Also I noticed the game apparatus loads something like 3 to 4 times faster.

As for the ram, either way you look at it, removing the extra bloat allows more of your apps to stay in memory. Or having the free memory allows your amps to load quicker. I guess the whole point is there was ram there being used for apps that we never used.

Sent from my DROID3

Cdjones187

Reaction score
So anyway, the question to you brave rooters who got rid of some bloat is, how much RAM are you seeing available on a fresh boot? How much after some use? I'm interested to know these things.

130 avg on boot. Kill everything goes to 230. Right now after running for 5 hours its at 100.

And yes, how you explained it is how the built in task killer works, kill apps not being used to clear space for higher priority apps. There will always be free ram, and as long as there is free ram it shouldn't make a difference in phone performance. Clearing your cache every once in a while is a good idea, that can cause lag if its built up over time. And the only lag I have experienced since I got the phone pre-retail release was with the stock launcher, which still ran smoother than any other stock launcher on my other droids. Launcher pro is 'almost' iphone smooth (hate to have to say almost but its true..) Apps open instantly and multi-tasking is seamless. Deleting the bloat did seem to help with battery, who knows what those apps were really doing when they just randomly start in the background..

Dmw017

Reaction score
Eh roots okay.. haven't really noticed any battery improvement yet (using extended battery, kinda sucked pre-root too) and the speed improvements... eehh its okay, boot time is like.. 3 seconds faster and multitasking feels more smooth. The thing with root for me is that I was expecting a lot out of it because of all the hype and craze. Now that I have it, i can only say that its... nice. Full backups and bloatware frozen that never really got in the way before. Using root-only apps is somewhat more or less kind of cool, I've been using Screenshot It and its a welcome addition, find it handy..

I don't think the problem is that root was overhyped or that it isnt great. Even when custom roms and fixes come around, I really can't imagine, no matter what features they introduce, being WOW'd by it. This is simply because the phone itself was, more or less, fantastic to start with. So any speed "improvements" or "fixes" that come along, really can't add anything to what the D3 itself has already brought to the table. I imagine it like trying to fill a cup with more water when it is already nearly overflowing. - Not saying the D3 is a god of phones or flawless, but really any updates/improvements would only be like a drop of water being added to a cup thats nearly full anyways.

jpblock82

Reaction score
Nothing crazy as of yet, runs like a champ, haven't had a single reboot since root... (coincidence??) Im really (really!) Hoping that a Vanilla 2.3.4+ is available... say a CM7 release for D3.. that would be nice. Lots of customizable tweaks with CM7.. guess we'll just have to see.

Sent from my DROID3

OP
A

aggiechase37

Reaction score
I went ahead and took the plunge. I froze a lot of bloatware, nothing too crucial though, but a lot of stuff that was autorunning in memory from before. Here' what I've frozen so far without issue:

Apps vzw
Backupassistant
backup assistant client
blockbuster
bookmarks widget
books
cardock
city id
contacts sync
desk home
device statistics service
guided tours
help center
home screen tips
IM
IM presence
motorola dock service
ms exchange service
my verizon mobile
news
nfl mobile
skype mobile
slacker
slacker
smart dock
suggestions poll scheduler service
sync service
task manager (this gave me a force close loop, fine on reboot though)
ALL V cast garbage
voice commands
voicemail
vz navigator

Anyway, since I froze all this stuff I've notice a significant speed and battery improvement. I've also noticed that app switching is a lot better. I think this is because of another effect I noticed, that there seems to be more free RAM, about 20mb more on average. For reference, I'm using Launcher Pro plus. Great phone only got better!:icon_ banana:

standard101

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6 Edge
Eh roots okay.. haven't really noticed any battery improvement yet (using extended battery, kinda sucked pre-root too) and the speed improvements... eehh its okay, boot time is like.. 3 seconds faster and multitasking feels more smooth. The thing with root for me is that I was expecting a lot out of it because of all the hype and craze. Now that I have it, i can only say that its... nice. Full backups and bloatware frozen that never really got in the way before. Using root-only apps is somewhat more or less kind of cool, I've been using Screenshot It and its a welcome addition, find it handy..

I don't think the problem is that root was overhyped or that it isnt great. Even when custom roms and fixes come around, I really can't imagine, no matter what features they introduce, being WOW'd by it. This is simply because the phone itself was, more or less, fantastic to start with. So any speed "improvements" or "fixes" that come along, really can't add anything to what the D3 itself has already brought to the table. I imagine it like trying to fill a cup with more water when it is already nearly overflowing. - Not saying the D3 is a god of phones or flawless, but really any updates/improvements would only be like a drop of water being added to a cup thats nearly full anyways.

what phone did you have before the D3? i still have a rooted D1, was contemplating getting the D3, decided to wait for it to get rooted, now i'm thinking wait for a 4G D4 but that could be a couple of years, etc. etc. u seem to be impressed with the D3, i'm curious what your comparison point is. thanks.

Dmw017

Reaction score
what phone did you have before the D3? i still have a rooted D1, was contemplating getting the D3, decided to wait for it to get rooted, now i'm thinking wait for a 4G D4 but that could be a couple of years, etc. etc. u seem to be impressed with the D3, i'm curious what your comparison point is. thanks.

I had an Optimus V for 8 days followed by a Motorola Triumph for 16, so never owned an OG Droid unfortunately (I hear it was awesome having it).
Yeah I love my D3, it looks good, awesome hardware, the keyboard is one of the best and even better if you play roms, battery life is a problem unique to my phone so I can't blame the D3 in general for that.
However... the Bionic is coming out in less than 2 weeks. Its basically a d3 without the keyboard, double the ram, and 4g LTE included.
- That being said, I wouldn't buy it if I were you lol. The next couple of months youre going to see quite a few new phones a lot better than the Bionic. The Galaxy S2 variants hit stores mid Sept to october, the Vigor I believe should come out before Dec. And the big deal coming out is the Samsung Nexus Prime, in oct or early nov (rumors say it might be a Droid Prime, I think that's bs lol). Check out some of those phones if your looking for an upgrade.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

howzball

Reaction score
Is it a good idea to freeze all the "dock" related stuff? I plug my phone into a dock to charge every night, won't freezing that stuff effect what the phone does in the charger?

I'm guessing we can't kill any Blur stuff either, I'm not brave enough to try it.

Lastly, you probably don't recommend anyone freezing voicemail unless they're using Google Voice instead...?
I use GV just want to make sure freezing voicemail doesn't have any adverse effects.

Big D

Reaction score
Rooted and froze the usual suspects.

No increase in speed. No increase in Battery life. Slight increase in redraws.

I have a theory that the perception in better Battery/speed variables is pyschological one. I unfroze and went back to unroot and the phone is flying again.

I'm much more interested in the OTA than I am root at the moment. Although root apps like adfree and TiBU are awesome to have again.

Anyone else see this?

Dmw017

Reaction score
Rooted and froze the usual suspects.

No increase in speed. No increase in Battery life. Slight increase in redraws.

I have a theory that the perception in better Battery/speed variables is pyschological one. I unfroze and went back to unroot and the phone is flying again.

I'm much more interested in the OTA than I am root at the moment. Although root apps like adfree and TiBU are awesome to have again.

Anyone else see this?

Yeah I saw the OTA update was leaked today (one build, likely not the final build?). Honestly, I want the update a lot more than root. I have not seen any battery increase whatsoever, however there is a very minuscule increase in speed. The update basically fixes everything I wanted the root to do.
However I wont be updating using the leaked update because, again, it may not be the final build, and also a warning advised to have your device at 100% factory stock which I don't plan on doing unless its necessary beyond all reason. You can still reroot after update, so I guess I could just backup everything with Titanium and restore em after update but... yeah I think id rather wait another week or two for the final version (if this leaked one isn't it lol).

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think its funny how alot of people think that root will adversely affect their phone. Superuser is just an app, it doesn't magically make your phone run better. Only thing root does is give you more control over your phone to modify your phone that may or may not make your phone run better.

random rom'd X

Dmw017

Reaction score
I think its funny how alot of people think that root will adversely affect their phone. Superuser is just an app, it doesn't magically make your phone run better. Only thing root does is give you more control over your phone to modify your phone that may or may not make your phone run better.

random rom'd X

I never assumed root would do that. I did however have high expectations from rooting my D3, thinking it would release the shackles holding the phone back (i.e. freezing the +20 bloatware and not having any unnecessary apps running in the background).
Also I hear custom roms and the fixes they bring is what makes root worth it, but I dunno.. I just want my ota update as an SBF doesn't seem to be anywhere remotely close.