How to Wipe Cache WITHOUT doing a Factory Reset

SeeEss

Reaction score
My Droid Razr Maxx has become slow lately. Someone suggested wiping my cache. I DO NOT want to do a factory reset. Somewhere I saw instructions how to do this but cannot find them now. Can someone help me please?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
You do this within stock recovery... there will be an option to wipe data or cache so just pick cache. I don't own a regular Maxx but the process should be similar. Hold volume up + volume down + power. Select recovery at the menu, press volume up + volume down simultaneously at the android screen and you will be in stock recovery. Scroll down to wipe cache and then reboot.

Someone step in if the key combo is incorrect. Should be fine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
You do this within stock recovery... there will be an option to wipe data or cache so just pick cache. I don't own a regular Maxx but the process should be similar. Hold volume up + volume down + power. Select recovery at the menu, press volume up + volume down simultaneously at the android screen and you will be in stock recovery. Scroll down to wipe cache and then reboot.

Someone step in if the key combo is incorrect. Should be fine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
Only one thing to add to GoCliffGo05's right-on instructions...when you scroll down do clear cache press the power key to select, then scroll to reboot and select with the power key.

donjlegacy

Reaction score
Is there a free app that does cache clearing process safely? (If so, and there are several, which is best?) To me that would seem like a good alternate method for this.
Also, I know with my old phone that RAM usage was a common problem, so maybe a free app that closes unneeded programs could make the phone faster too? (If so, and there are several, which is best?)

wcjeep

Reaction score
You can also uninstall updates/stop apps from working. Useful for stopping bloatware.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
Is there a free app that does cache clearing process safely? (If so, and there are several, which is best?) To me that would seem like a good alternate method for this.
Also, I know with my old phone that RAM usage was a common problem, so maybe a free app that closes unneeded programs could make the phone faster too? (If so, and there are several, which is best?)

There is an app called All-In-One Toolbox that I just recently started using. In the Tools sections there is a tool called Cache Cleaner. I haven't tested it yet but it may be something you can try out.

Natey2

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but there are 2 kinds of caches that can be independently cleaned/wiped:
App cache(s)
Dalvik (system/vm) cache

jimmib

Reaction score
just installed ZDbox all-in-one toolbox on my razr maxx...killer app....took me less than two minutes to install app and clean my cache...thanks for the info

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
There are a number of apps (free) in Play Store that claim to clear cache. I've used a few of them and found that 1TapCleaner seems to do the best job of identifying all apps with cache that can be cleared. The best cleaner I've found is either Titanium Backup or SDMade, but you have to have root to use them. Titanium Backup with also clear Delvik cache.

donjlegacy

Reaction score
I found two apps in the Google Play Store that the OP might find useful. ES Task Manager and ES File Explorer. There is a button in ES Task Manager to completely wipe cache, or you can see a list and clear it one app at a time. Between these two programs there are a ton of useful things you can do.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but there are 2 kinds of caches that can be independently cleaned/wiped:
App cache(s)
Dalvik (system/vm) cache

I'm no pro at it but I wipe app cache with 1tap... and since I'm rooted I wipe davlik cache and system cache from the recovery menu WITHOUT wiping any data

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
App cache(s)
Dalvik (system/vm) cache

And a third one, system cache
App cache is files/data used by apps (cookies, temporary files, etc)....cleaned out individually in manage apps or with a "cache cleaner"
Dalvic cache is a file that let's your system know what apps you have....it gets bloated as you install and delete apps....cleaned with the likes of titanium backup. Once you clean it (delete it) it gets rebuilt on the next startup (hence why it takes so long to reboot)
System cache is stuff like leftovers....like when you download an update and install it, the downloaded file may not have deleted automatically or completely post installation....kinda like a windows pagefile. You clean it by booting into recovery and selecting "wipe" or "format" cache.