How to use less data?

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
How do I set my phone to not run anything unnecessary in the background when the screen is off? It seems to kill the battery fast.
Smart actions? Is that the secret? Could anyone tell me how to set it up to work so only items I choose such as Pandora would continue to play with screen off? I also use wifi at home but the 3G/4G indicator is still in the tool bar, so, I guess it's still trying to use the network as well.

jaye712

Reaction score
EA.Droyd said:
How do I set my phone to not run anything unnecessary in the background when the screen is off? It seems to kill the battery fast.
Smart actions? Is that the secret? Could anyone tell me how to set it up to work so only items I choose such as Pandora would continue to play with screen off? I also use wifi at home but the 3G/4G indicator is still in the tool bar, so, I guess it's still trying to use the network as well.

Theres no need to have 4g n wifi on together..go to system settings n turn off your data n leave your wifi on..turn wifi off n turn data on when u need it...n yes,s.a is the secret..heres how i got mines set up n iam only usein 2..for each one,i got "wifi off" n data off..pandora will play regardless if ur screen is off (in general)... hope this helps...

View attachment 57579

View attachment 57580

View attachment 57581

RAZR215unrooted

OP
E

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
OK, I'll give it a try. Seems like I've been running data even when the screen is off based on the info in settings, battery. It lists awake as being much more than screen on. Also android os listed as being the same as display. About a month ago I was getting about forty hours of use between charges, now, I'm lucky if I can make it to twenty four hours.
I will try your advise and smart actions.
Thanks!

ted1

Reaction score
I saw nothing in his settings that turned his data off when connected to wifi. I made my own rule for smart actions that automatically turns off data when my phone connects to my wifi. It looks like this very simple to do.

View attachment 57588

jaye712

Reaction score
There is,I couldn't take the whole screen shot.its why i said i had each for one of it....anyway,theres even free apps to toggle it on n off..check to see if your on cdma/lte netwrk too..bein on global can drain u..i had to mention cuz tis reminded me of this..the last update is set to global mode automatically

RAZR215unrooted

ted1

Reaction score
@jaye712 thanks for your post i just started using smart actions even though i have had my RAZR for awhile now. So i am trying some of your settings hoping it will help with battery life. And data use because i know when its time to get an upgrade i will lose my unlimited data.

jaye712

Reaction score
ted1 said:
@jaye712 thanks for your post i just started using smart actions even though i have had my RAZR for awhile now. So i am trying some of your settings hoping it will help with battery life. And data use because i know when its time to get an upgrade i will lose my unlimited data.

Theres actually a thread on postin battery life too..good to get some sights n more ideas lol.. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr/223586-post-battery-life-screenshots-here.html. And another....
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr/182603-what-smart-actions-do-you-have-set.html

RAZR215unrooted

Last edited: