How to turn Verizon off?

thejono

Reaction score
How on the Droid, can I turn the Verizon network off and just use WiFi?

Droider

Reaction score
If you turn WiFi on, then your phone should use the WiFi for all data as long as it is active. You'll still be connected to Verizon to receive voice calls but your data will all be going through the WiFi and not the 3G data network.

Does that answer your question?

OP
T

thejono

Reaction score
I want to be able to use just WiFi. So if I want to go overseas and use google voice to call home, I want to be able to disable the network so I can just use WiFi for that.

Zacko

Reaction score
Doesn't work like that. Google voice uses your cell minutes through your access number.

OP
T

thejono

Reaction score
Doesn't work like that. Google voice uses your cell minutes through your access number.
I want to be able to use some messanging service if I am overseas through wifi...kind of like skype. How do I turn off the verizon network so I can purely just use WiFi?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm just getting skype :).. as stated there's no way to turn off the SERVICE of verizon. You can however just enable WiFi and it will use that for it's data source, without using verizons network.

Droider

Reaction score
With the G1 you could delete the apn but with the Droid either Google or Verizon has removed that option.

denlem

Reaction score
I want to be able to use just WiFi. So if I want to go overseas and use google voice to call home, I want to be able to disable the network so I can just use WiFi for that.

If you over seas with the phone, I doubt very much you'll be picking up the Verizon network so there will be no need to shut it off as it won't exist anyway!

coolkidd

Reaction score
I would call verizon and check with this.... you do not want any roaming charges on your bill.

Be safe and contact them regarding this issue.

pwo

Reaction score
I'm just getting skype :).. as stated there's no way to turn off the SERVICE of Verizon. You can however just enable WiFi and it will use that for it's data source, without using Verizon network.

Guys? Of course you can disable the Verizon network---Well not disable it, but turn off the cell transmitter on your phone. Just like the old windows mobile devices.

Jono Check it out:

Press and hold the power button on top of the Droid, Next tap airplane mode (this turns your cell radio off but allows other device functions). Once airplane mode is active (you will see signal icon on notifications bar change from active bars to bars with a little plane on it). Next, turn on wi-fi and connect to whatever network is nearby.

When this is done you will be using wifi, but not transmitting or receiving cell signals, effectively turning off Verizon. If you ever used a HTC 8525, Tilt, fuse, touch pro, touch diamond, and all other windows mobile devices with wifi you will be very familar with this process.

Ask again? :icon_ poke:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Duh, i keep forgetting the phone has this, even though i've seen it quite a few times lol.

pwo

Reaction score
Duh, i keep forgetting the phone has this, even though i've seen it quite a few times lol.

Yeah, alot of people forget, but I was in the military and used it quite often on my tilt with skype. Have not tried Skype on the Droid don't know if it works. I just know you can disable cell radio and use wifi.

Ask again?

OP
T

thejono

Reaction score

Yeah, alot of people forget, but I was in the military and used it quite often on my tilt with skype. Have not tried Skype on the Droid don't know if it works. I just know you can disable cell radio and use wifi.

Ask again?
AWESOME! Thanks a lot that works great.

ryanm

Reaction score
you could always start digging a hole, just bring a computer and router.