How To: Setup ADB on Windows 7 64bit (Should also work on 32bit)

hacku

Reaction score
This is a copy/paste from the thread I made over at AllDroid. Figured some people here might find it useful as well.

Ok, so after seeing how much trouble most people have with Windows 7 I decided to make this. I too found the previous instructions a little confusing, but I finally figured out what I was doing wrong and was able to install them. Trust me, that when I point out what you guys were doing wrong you're going to laugh too...lol

1. Download the attached .ZIP file and extract it somewhere you can find it (ie: C:\ADBDrivers_v3)
  2. Make sure your phone has USB Debugging enabled (Menu>Settings>Applications>Development)
  3. Plug USB cable into phone and put in USB Mass Storage Mode
  4. Open up Device Manager (Located in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items)
  5. Under Other Devices you should now see Motorola ADB Interface (Windows could not install the drivers for me)
  6. Right-click and select Update Driver Software
  7. Click on Browse my computer for driver software
  8. Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  9. Now this is the step where I'm sure most of you messed up on. Click on Show All Devices then Next. DO NOT CLICK ON ADB INTERFACE FROM THE LIST!
  10. Click on Have Disk button
  11. Click Browse button
  12. Go to C:\ADBDrivers_v3\usb_driver\ then select android_winusb.inf and click the Open button
  13. Click OK
  14. Select Android Composite ADB Interface and click the Next button
  15. Click Yes on the Update Driver Warning window
It should take a few seconds to install the driver. You'll get a window saying that you driver was successfully updated (click the Close button), and your phone should now show up at the top of the device list under Android Phone.

ENJOY!!!

Last edited:

Dxub

Reaction score
I do not have motorola ADB interface show up.

WildcatNKU24

Reaction score
This is a copy/paste from the thread I made over at AllDroid. Figured some people here might find it useful as well.

Ok, so after seeing how much trouble most people have with Windows 7 I decided to make this. I too found the previous instructions a little confusing, but I finally figured out what I was doing wrong and was able to install them. Trust me, that when I point out what you guys were doing wrong you're going to laugh too...lol

1. Download the attached .ZIP file and extract it somewhere you can find it (ie: C:\ADBDrivers_v3)
  2. Make sure your phone has USB Debugging enabled (Menu>Settings>Applications>Development)
  3. Plug USB cable into phone and put in USB Mass Storage Mode
  4. Open up Device Manager (Located in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items)
  5. Under Other Devices you should now see Motorola ADB Interface (Windows could not install the drivers for me)
  6. Right-click and select Update Driver Software
  7. Click on Browse my computer for driver software
  8. Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  9. Now this is the step where I'm sure most of you messed up on. Click on Show All Devices then Next. DO NOT CLICK ON ADB INTERFACE FROM THE LIST!
  10. Click on Have Disk button
  11. Click Browse button
  12. Go to C:\ADBDrivers_v3\usb_driver\ then select android_winusb.inf and click the Open button
  13. Click OK
  14. Select Android Composite ADB Interface and click the Next button
  15. Click Yes on the Update Driver Warning window
It should take a few seconds to install the driver. You'll get a window saying that you driver was successfully updated (click the Close button), and your phone should now show up at the top of the device list under Android Phone.

ENJOY!!!

Thanks a million and then some. Wasted an hour before witnessing your genius! :icon_ banana: IT'S PBJ TIME BABY!

phatjedi

Reaction score
Thank you worked like a charm. I am coming over from BlackBerry, does the Droid X have an equivalent of desktop manager?

zoro

Reaction score
I am getting my X this week, what is this function for?

Reaction score
Cool, I just did it. Off to the remove bloatware thread.

This makes me wonder whether it would be useful to have the driver files on the SD card all the time in case I want to do this on a friend's computer.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm truly interested please don't take this as an attack or anything. I have win 7 64bit and have never had any issues with ADB, maybe I just set something up right from the get go? I don't understand the trouble. I'm retired IT guy at the age 29, so really I just want to help but I don't understand this issue.