How to ruin a perfectly good S5 (hint - Lollipop)

desertrat28

Reaction score
Started with a perfectly good S5, got the Lollipop update in March, 2015, battery life went to crap. Battery used to last for up to 2 days, went to barely lasting a day. Researched forums, tech chat with Verizon, trouble shooting sessions online, turned off and/or uninstalled power grabbing apps, didn't help. Ended up buying a new spare battery for times when I just couldn't get a charge.

Fast forward to last week, Lollipop patch installed, battery life no better, but now Do not Disturb doesn't work with Ultra Power Saving Mode so I was getting awoken by messages coming in the middle of the night. I'm on call 24/7 so I need to hear my phone ring, but text, emails etc.. not needed or desired. I used to be able to use Do not Disturb in the Ultra Power Saving Mode, but last weeks patch ended that so I've had to keep the phone in full feature mode, which in turn has been killing over half the battery life overnight, requiring a charge in the morning prior to leaving for work. Growing tired of this drill, I contacted Verizon Tech support who helped me troubleshoot the issue and after uninstalling apps and checking the battery drain, it was losing about 1% every 6 minutes. I was told this was not normal and when I put the phone in Ultra Power Saving Mode, I should see a nearly 20 day stand by, instead of the 11.5 I normally saw. I was told the phone had a hardware issue and if a Factory Data Reset didn't fix it, the phone needed to be replaced. I went to a Factory Verizon Store, explained the issue and they too determined that the phone needed to be replaced. About 2 hours and a little less than $100 later (not counting the new contract and $20 a month higher bill) I left with a replacement S5. I did get a nice perk with a 12000 MAH Mophie battery, but with my lunch hour burnt, I couldn't wait to do all the backup at the store, but was assured my data was on the cloud for backup at a later time. Long story short, my 2000+ text messages are gone, old phone was wiped so no way to retrieve them, new phone has the same battery life indications as the old one and I STILL have to run the phone in full feature mode (not Ultra Power Saving Mode) for the Do not Disturb feature to work.

Recap: Lollipop has cost me a perfectly good phone, required a couple of round trips of 10 miles to different Verizon stores, countless hours online researching the problems caused by that update, raised my monthly bill, lost all my text messages with important work info and locked me into a contract that I didn't need before this asinine update and patch came out. I'm still trying to reconfigure my phone with all the apps I've used for years for remote access cameras and such that now aren't working as before with no end in sight to correct it. If I didn't know better, I'd guess there is collusion between the software developers and the carriers to sell a certain percentage of frustrated users new phones when they throw up their hands frustrated by the updates that turn a good phone into something that is only good as a wheel chock!

Advice: Stay away from Lollipop as long as you can! As much as I loathe Apple products, this just might push me over the edge as these updates coming out are not beta tested worth a damn, are not able to be put off very long and they take a decent OS (KitKat) and turn it into garbage. (No, this rant doesn't fix my phone, but if someone reads this, they can balance out all the flowery reviews that Lollipop is getting so at least they can't say they weren't warned)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Desertrat28, I am sorry to hear all your problems with the lollipop update. It surely sounds like a nightmare. Although most people's phones did very well with the lollipop update, my Note 3 has also suffered (battery, sluggish, poor data and call signal, etc). Unfortunately, for whatever reason, a majority of the phones do well but some don't. I have actually already tried clearing partition cache numerous times and factory data reset a couple with no luck at improvement. Usually that is what is necessary but hasn't helped with my phone.

Unfortunately, phone carriers are horrible at informing their customers that the factory data reset (fdr) they are about to do will erase absolutely everything on your phone with no way of recovery (apps, some settings, contacts are recoverable but not texts, documents or pics on internal storage, etc). There are several ways to save (backup) almost everything on your phone so you still have all your texts/info after replacement or fdr. If you find you are stuck in this situation again, we can offer ideas on how to do that.

If there is a workaround for getting the DND feature to work while on ultra power saving mode, hopefully someone can chime in with ideas.

After your phone has some time to settle in, your battery life should improve. If after a week, you don't see improvement, it may be the phone. For most people, lollipop improved their battery life or at least stayed about the same (not for me). Unfortunately, when you get a replacement phone, they are refurbished and some still have bugs. Hopefully it won't need to be replaced but I wouldn't hesitate to replace it again if it is not working perfectly.

Last edited:

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I guess I've been lucky with my GS5 with lolipop. I've had no problems at all. Still looking for a backup method that saves DATA and text files as well as apps. Apps I can get any time time but not text files and other data. But I haven't noticed much change in battery use going from the GS4 to the 5 with lolipop.

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I had same issues with my S4 after Lollipop..I didn't have as fast as battery drain, but it sucked it down at twice the rate as when I had Kit Kat. I also experienced extreme overheating, so much that I attribute that to burning out my phone. I can no longer turn it on and put the blame on the update. Since I am out of warranty, I will have to pay to have it fixed.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I guess I've been lucky with my GS5 with lolipop. I've had no problems at all. Still looking for a backup method that saves DATA and text files as well as apps. Apps I can get any time time but not text files and other data. But I haven't noticed much change in battery use going from the GS4 to the 5 with lolipop.
For backing up texts, I use SMS backup & restore by Ritesh Sahu free in play store. It has lots of features and works really well. You can also save your texts from specific people as opposed to all texts. You can also save for a specific time line. It also restores your texts seamlessly.

For backing up data, apps, phone logs,etc. I use MyBackup by Rerware, also free in play store although I use the pro version. My rooted phones/devices I use Titanium Backup pro.

There are several apps that do the same things. Others might have suggestions.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I had same issues with my S4 after Lollipop..I didn't have as fast as battery drain, but it sucked it down at twice the rate as when I had Kit Kat. I also experienced extreme overheating, so much that I attribute that to burning out my phone. I can no longer turn it on and put the blame on the update. Since I am out of warranty, I will have to pay to have it fixed.
Ugh, so sorry EyeOWA! Your carrier may replace your phone as if under warranty. I would explain the situation and give that a try. They can look at your usage from that phone which might help them identify when you started having problems (after lollipop).

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
A lot of S5 owners have experienced problems with the lollipop update. A FDR fixed some, but some folks here & there have still experienced minor problems like less than stellar battery life than what they had on KK.
5.1 currently being released across the main carrier's and its also helping. Hang in there @deserrat28 , this really is a great device and I'd hate to have you give up on it! (Though I understand your simply needing a device that works) I rooted mine a year ago the day after I got it, and have been extremely happy with my bug free KitKat running 4.4.4
Good luck, hopefully another full FDR and/or the 5.1 update will get you fixed up.
Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

S5 tap'n

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Ugh, so sorry EyeOWA! Your carrier may replace your phone as if under warranty. I would explain the situation and give that a try. They can look at your usage from that phone which might help them identify when you started having problems (after lollipop).

I am past 2 years, no waranty. I did an FDR right after installing Lollipop, and did another about a week ago. Phone wont turn on. Dead. Was trying to hold uot to get the Note 5, but that is not an option. Going in tomorrow to get the Note 5 and take advantage of the $200 rebate. Was set on the Nexus 6, but switched over to the Note.

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I do have MyBackup Pro installed but haven't used it since I discovered it won't back up data. I'll definitely check out SMS backup & restore. Thanks for the info.

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Just checked out SMS backup & restore. It backs up SMS text messages but I need it to back up text files created with the notepad. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Bluesman, probably the easiest way to back up a text file is to copy/transfer it to your PC by plugging in to your PC usb. Not sure about notepad but often times an app will have their own backup & restore feature in settings. And usually the apps save their text files to a folder with the same name as the app.

Typically what I do is periodically back up (copy) all contents of my phone's internal memory to my PC. Then copy what I need back over to my phone after an fdr.

Sorry about MyBackup. I have the pro version and it does back up data for that version. If it is data for a specific app, it may have a backup/restore feature in settings which should include that apps data.

Depending on the type of data that you want to save, we may have other solutions.

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Just checked out SMS backup & restore. It backs up SMS text messages but I need it to back up text files created with the notepad. Back to the drawing board.
What app are you referring to when you say "the notepad", is this a 3rd party app you installed, or something that came on your phone (I don't see a "notepad" app in my app drawer).

If you switched to Google Keep for notes and such, you would get immediate, automatic "backups" to your google account and be able to edit your notes on your computer (via the web version of Keep in your browser) and have them sync automatically, along with many other benefits. I use Keep for all kinds of stuff and it's awesome!

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
I never heard of Google Keep but will check it out. The notepad I use is NoteEverything Pro. It's an amazing note pad. No. There is no native notepad app for the GS5.

Note Everything Pro Add-On - Android Apps on Google Play
Looks nice! I used to use Evernote, which is also pretty powerful, but I tried Keep and it did everything I need, it's simple, lightweight, easy to use and it's so seamless jumping between my phone, tablet and laptop, everything just syncs automatically, I don't need anything more.

If you decide to try out Keep, install the app on your phone (search the Playstore for "Google Keep"), and create a couple of quick test notes, then open your browser on your computer, go to the Google home page and make sure you're logged in to your Google account, then go to:

Google Keep

you should see the notes you created on the phone. Bookmark the page on your bookmarks bar for easy access!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3