Chrome ruining battery after Lollipop update

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Hey all I have a verizon note 3. I received the lollipop update yesterday morning, it's pretty slick and I did do a factory reset after the updates finished installing.

Whereas the last (4.4.4) update hurt my battery life while the screen was off (it wouldn't sleep properly for some reason - probably because I didn't do a factory reset when that update came through) this time around it is Chrome, just utterly decimating the battery. I've attached a picture to show what I mean. The phone also gets much much warmer than usual now while browsing web pages. Any ideas for me?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-24-15-27-30.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-24-15-27-30.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Man...that's a steep dive. Questions:
  1. Chrome windows open at all with videos or audio playing the background?
  2. Is Chrome fully up-to-date?
I know you might have FDRed already, but I'd trying clearing data/cache of Chrome just to be sure. Also, for kicks, try going to Settings > Accounts and Sync (might just be Accounts now) > Google > (account name). Try turning Chrome off and leave it off and see if it affects anything in regards to your battery life.

OP
Satchel_Charge
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
No to your first question, and yea chrome is updated. I will clear the cache/data and report back.

p.s. could this be at all related to Android System WebView? I've not seen that program before, but the play store wanted to update it after I reset my phone.

Last edited:

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
No to your first question, and yea chrome is updated. I will clear the cache/data and report back.

p.s. could this be at all related to Android System WebView? I've not seen that program before, but the play store wanted to update it after I reset my phone.
Hmm. It does work alongside chrome and other apps. Try clearing cache and data on that just to be safe assuming you haven't already.

OP
Satchel_Charge
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
I ended up just clearing chrome out and formatting the cache partition. Seems to have worked! Hopefully the issue doesn't come back ;)

OP
Satchel_Charge
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Sweet. By 'clearing Chrome out' did you disable it or just cleared cache/data?

Cleared cache and data. Thanks for your help! These are not foreign ideas to me but it seemed a weird thing to do less than 1 day after FDR :confused:o_O

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Cleared cache and data. Thanks for your help! These are not foreign ideas to me but it seemed a weird thing to do less than 1 day after FDR :confused:o_O
It's no biggie. If I don't solve it, I like to know what fixed it. Helps me fix stuff in the future. Yeah it is weird, but hey I've seen weirder things

OP
Satchel_Charge
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
:eek:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-28-17-38-38.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-28-17-38-38.png
    150.6 KB · Views: 334
OP
Satchel_Charge
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-28-17-42-12.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-28-17-42-12.png
    174.5 KB · Views: 350
OP
Satchel_Charge
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
It's a lot of data use on Chrome because I browse Imgur. But I don't constantly browse Imgur when I'm using Chrome (and I close the tab when I'm done) nor do I browse Imgur more than I used to before the lollipop update.

OP
Satchel_Charge
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Look! I closed Imgur like 20 minutes ago! :'(

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-28-17-59-53.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-28-17-59-53.png
    147.9 KB · Views: 337

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
So it looks like it is back...ugh that is annoying. Do two things for me. 1) If you didn't do it before try what I suggested a couple of posts ago:

Also, for kicks, try going to Settings > Accounts and Sync (might just be Accounts now) > Google > (account name). Try turning Chrome off and leave it off and see if it affects anything in regards to your battery life.

2) Try clearing cache/data of Android System Webview if you didn't do that before either. Worse comes to worse, just uninstall all updates to this thing. I'm hoping it isn't what I think it is which is Chrome won't actually close and memory leaks after it closes. You show symptoms but I want to be doubly sure about other things before I try what I'm going to try next.

OP
Satchel_Charge
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Did number 1. Number 2 I can't, the clear cache/data options are greyed out, so I uninstalled updates. I also have the option of disabling webview completely, if that is a troubleshooting option I should try. Then restarted my phone - will update tomorrow. Thanks

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Did number 1. Number 2 I can't, the clear cache/data options are greyed out, so I uninstalled updates. I also have the option of disabling webview completely, if that is a troubleshooting option I should try. Then restarted my phone - will update tomorrow. Thanks

We, in all honestly, can't disable it. There are apps whose UI rely on Android System WebView and they would just keep crashing if it isn't there.