[HACKS] [HOW TO] Root your Verizon Galaxy S4

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
im having trouble installing the device drivers. it messes up at the MTP USB stage. I have tried multiple ways and times and still fails. This is so frustrtating bc i just want to root it so i can flash roms

ReaganSmash

Reaction score

Hopefully this saves someone some time, OP may want to update post to indicate that this works (at least I assume it does) on the MDK build and not ME7. The link posted by Dalvik-Cache does work (confirmed as of 9/25) for root access on ME7 but to my knowledge, and I searched high and low last night, especially after bricking my ME7 S4, the bootloader is still locked, the only custom recovery option is SafeStrap from one of the XDA devs.

The only ROM I know of, I'd imagine there are others, is Hyperdrive ROM, but theoretically anything that's based on the stock kernel should work. Do NOT forget to re-flash the stock kernel after flashing the ROM of your choice. Also, as it turns out, there's a very good reason to check the MD5 of the ROM before you flash it. I tried 5 or 6 mirrors before I got a matching copy. If your MD5 doesn't match, you're probably going to boot to a black screen.

WARNING!!!

If you plan to try this, read the SafeStrap thread thoroughly. DO NOT forget to select ROM slot 1 (vs stock which is the default when you first launch it) or you will brick your phone. It's recoverable, but you'll need ODIN, the PIT file, and a working stock ROM. The ROM was the hardest part to find, I tried three different hosts before I found a version that wasn't corrupt. I'll get the link from my laptop and, if I remember, update this post with a link to the working ROM for any unfortunate enough to be in that situation.

Feel free to reply or PM me if you have questions, I'll do my best to help you out.

Edited on 9/27/2013 @ 7:38 MDT (8:38 CDT) - Got the custom ROM flashed and working. If there's any interest I could do a complete step-by-step write up.

KaHOnas

Reaction score
I'm trying to flash the VRUAMD2 pre-release kernel but Odin is giving me a hash fail.

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> MD5 hash value is invalid
<OSM> SCH-I545_MD2_423399_Kernel.tar.md5 is invalid.
<OSM> End...

What am I doing wrong here?

KaHOnas

Reaction score
I didn't think baseband would even factor in yet, but unfortunately I'm running MJ7. It was inadvertently updated today but I was hoping this would work.

KaHOnas

Reaction score

Remarkably easy! That didn't take nearly as long as it did on my last couple phones (HTC Incredible 2 and Droid Eris). Man, why didn't I go to Samsung before?!?

In all seriousness, thank you for posting this for me. When the phone OTA updated to MJ7, I about lost my mind. I was afraid it'd take weeks for a root to show up for it. Thanks!

KaHOnas

Reaction score
That shouldn't be a problem. I was just looking for root access in order to run Titanium Backup and a few other things so I can move all my info from my old phone (the HTC Inc2). This should work nicely.

MotoXGirl

Reaction score
That shouldn't be a problem. I was just looking for root access in order to run Titanium Backup and a few other things so I can move all my info from my old phone (the HTC Inc2). This should work nicely.

If anyone needs a root for the 4.3 update let me know.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I need root for the MAXX. Isn't the Moto X essentially the same, I mean same OS?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I need root for the MAXX. Isn't the Moto X essentially the same, I mean same OS?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

nah totally different chip. the maxx uses a ti omap. the x got the qualcom MSM8960DT. so exploits are different. from what i remember the later versions of razr blade, which have you mess with smart actions(not the original), work with the latest maxx update.