How to root your Droid DNA

donstechnology

Reaction score

Original Source: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/24/exclusive-how-to-unlock-the-droid-dnas-bootloader/ By Justin Case

How to root your Droid DNA (Working as of 11/24/12 - Defeating the VZW locked bootloader)

The following is an instructional on how to root your new DROID DNA. Some items are downloaded from external resources, and are at your own risk!

THIS WILL WIPE YOUR DEVICE!

AS a reminder, I am not responsible if you choose to follow these instructions and brick your device.

Big Thanks to Justin Case who found the most important method to unlock the bootloader!
If this tutorial has helped you in any way shape or form, I highly recommend you Donate to Jcase: Donate Here!
The biggest and most important part of this tutorial was from JCase: Viewable here

What you need:
Downloads:
· backup.ab (mirrors): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (300MB)
· DNA_TeamAndIRC.zip (mirrors): 1, 2
With all the requisites taken care of, let's get started.
Disclaimer: We are not responsible for any harm to your device - proceed at your own risk.

Unzip DNA_TeamAndIRC.zip. Put runme.sh, CIDGen.apk, and backup.ab in the directory with adb.
Check the README.txt before continuing!
The Commands to use are in
Code:
[COLOR=#800000]Red[/COLOR]

First Step:
Code:
[COLOR=#800000]adb install CIDGen.apk[/COLOR]

Run the CIDGen app from your phone and follow the directions (please look for the IMEI on your box, the phone cannot see it). Then ensure the /sdcard/CIDBLOCK.img file exists on your phone with the following command:

Code:
[COLOR=#800000]adb shell ls -l /sdcard/CIDBLOCK.img[/COLOR]

If CIDBLOCK.img does not exist after running the app, do NOT proceed. Try re-running CIDGen.apk on your phone again, then re-run the above command to verify CIDBLOCK.img's existence.
If it does exist, continue with these commands:

Code:
[COLOR=#800000]adb push runme.sh /data/local/tmp/
 adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/runme.sh
 adb shell /data/local/tmp/runme.sh[/COLOR]

This process will loop forever and give out lots of "No such file" or "link failed" errors, so just leave it running for now.

Open a second command prompt use adb to restore the modified backup. Running this command, the phone will ask for your permission to restore the file, so go ahead and allow it.

Code:
[COLOR=#800000]adb restore backup.ab[/COLOR]

After the restore is finished you will need to stop the runme.sh script in the first terminal (use control+c or just close the window).
From this point forward, you're past the point of no return. Do not continue if you will not be able to follow the instructions 100%, as rebooting or powering down the phone at the wrong time will brick the device. Ensure your phone has at least 50% battery life remaining before continuing.

Code:
adb shell rm /data/data/com.htc.usage/files/exploit/*
 adb shell mv /data/DxDrm /data/DxDrm_org
 adb shell mkdir /data/DxDrm
 adb shell ln -s /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /data/DxDrm/DxSecureDB
 adb reboot
 adb wait-for-device

Now repeat the first exploit:

Code:
[COLOR=#800000]adb shell /data/local/tmp/runme.sh[/COLOR]

This process will also loop forever and give out lots of "No such file" or "link failed" errors - again, just leave it running.

In a second terminal/command prompt use adb to restore the modified backup. After running this command the phone will ask for your permission to restore the file - just like before, go ahead and allow it.

Code:
[COLOR=#800000]adb restore backup.ab[/COLOR]

After the restore is done you will need to stop the runme.sh script in the first terminal (use control+c or just close the window).

Code:
[COLOR=#800000]adb shell mv /data/DxDrm /data/DxDrm_trash
 adb shell dd if=/sdcard/CIDBLOCK.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
 adb reboot[/COLOR]

You can now unlock using HTCDev.com - simply select "All other supported models" for your phone type.

Visit HTC bootloader unlock page (This Part Wipes the data) and follow HTC’s instructions to unlock the Bootloader

Download TWRP recovery and rename to recovery.img and place in the adb folder

Download SuperSU and busybox package and place on SD card.

Put your phone in bootloader mode and connect via usb. (Bootloader mode - Turn off phone and hold power and vol down until in bootloader menu)

Then run this command:

Code:
[COLOR=#800000]fastboot flash recovery recovery.img[/COLOR]

Finally, reboot your device into recovery (under the bootloader menu), (Make a backup first to be safe) flash the SuperSU and busybox package and reboot your device.

You should now have root access!

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL WHO HELPED MAKE THIS POSSIBLE!!!

Credits:
  • Original development: jcase
  • Awesome saver of the day: Sean Beaupre
  • Crash test dummy: dsb9938 (I bricked his phone making this!)
  • Artem and all @AndroidPolice for putting up with my nonsense.
  • Special thanks to Fuses for recommending a better target, and the numerous testers that let me play with their new phones.

Original Source: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/24/exclusive-how-to-unlock-the-droid-dnas-bootloader/

jcase

Reaction score
Could you please correct the credits, and link back to my original article. Thanks

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP was updated, Nice work Justin!

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Nice work jcase!

Just finished unlocking, installing recovery, and rooting. Now it's time to install roms!

BuzzKillBob

Reaction score
Getting DNA Friday or monday(whenever it comes in). Anything I can do to prepare for rooting and romming aside from dl all files listed? I just want this to be fast and painless. Lol

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Install SDK and ADB and watch the videos a few more times.

What I also did was print the instructions and checked off each step during the process because of the warning that you may brick the device if you foul up the last few steps.

BuzzKillBob

Reaction score
Install SDK and ADB and watch the videos a few more times.

What I also did was print the instructions and checked off each step during the process because of the warning that you may brick the device if you foul up the last few steps.

Will do. I appreciate the tips. Would hate to brick a my new DNA before it even gets activated.

BuzzKillBob

Reaction score
Um...so yeah. Looked easy. Got confused when it came down to do it. Gave up for now. :( kinda don't wanna brick my phone. The unlock process is kinda scary vs regular HTC dev method im used to.

BuzzKillBob

Reaction score
Um...so yeah. Looked easy. Got confused when it came down to do it. Gave up for now. :( kinda don't wanna brick my phone. The unlock process is kinda scary vs regular HTC dev method im used to.

instructions are not all that clear... it doesnt tell you exactly where to put the runme.sh and the others...
anyone willing to walk me through it?............

EDIT:
got adb to pick up the phone,so sdk works as well...now im having trouble pushing the runme.sh...i followed droidmodderX's videos and put them where he showed and its not working for me...what am i missing?

carpenter

Reaction score
sorry for off top, dont want to open new tread.. does unlocked DNA work with GSM network as well?

nelamvr6

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
This is great, thanks for all your hard work!

But I'll be rooting when there's a one-click method, and not before. Rooting doesn't mean nearly as much to me as it once did, anything more than one-click and it's simply not worth the trouble.

BuzzKillBob

Reaction score
Got it working a while ago. Adb was using my user folder,not the extracted one. Worked like a charm though... Thanks

_KevC90

Reaction score
I'm new to this and I have a DNA. I'm experiencing some trouble though. My computer can't seem to install the drivers, so when I try to go into my cms and type "adv" or try to locate it on my C drive I can't. What could I do to have my computer recognize my device and so I can view the adb file.

SpeedDMN

Reaction score
I'm new to this and I have a DNA. I'm experiencing some trouble though. My computer can't seem to install the drivers, so when I try to go into my cms and type "adv" or try to locate it on my C drive I can't. What could I do to have my computer recognize my device and so I can view the adb file.
I am having the same trouble. I cannot seem to get the computer to recognize the device. All I keep getting is "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command" etc. This phone is very frustration. If I knew how much trouble it is to root I probably would have got something else. It's beautiful display is the only thing that keeps me from skipping the damn thing across a pond or something. God I wish they would come up with a "one click" for this.