How to Root the Motorola Droid 4 (XT894) running Android 4.0.4

ricky0702

Reaction score
I. Before You Begin
The procedure below will not affect the data on your device in any way, but do make a backup of important data before you proceed as a precaution.

II. Necessary Downloads

ICS404root.zip

III. Rooting the Motorola Droid 4

1. Enable USB Debugging on your device. To do this, head to Settings > Development and check the Enable USB Debugging tickbox.

2. Connect your device to your Windows PC and change the type of connection to Windows Media Sync instead of Mass Storage.

3. Extract the ICS404root.zip file you downloaded above to a folder on your desktop.

4. From the extracted folder, double-click rootscript.bat to run the script.

5. Hit Enter once you have made sure that you have enabled USB Debugging and the device is in Camera Mode.

Another tutorial
How to Install CM10 Jelly Bean Update on Motorola Droid Razr

izaz

Reaction score
yo didnt work?

Its having errors finding the device even when its clearly there, ive tried all connection modes, just explain the windows sync?

Anomalyzero

Reaction score
For anyone having trouble with the root, (can't find device, hanging at reboot, Hanging in general, etc.) you have to have the motohelper software installed. I regarded it as more Moto bloatware and didn't have it.

millerjm88

Reaction score
noob question...

What is the motohelper software? And where do I get it if I need it?

Second when I connect my DROID 4 to PC it gives me three options:
Mass storage
Media device (MTP)
Camera (PTP)

I am assuming that media device is the mode I want it in but want to make sure sconce I am a noob to this.