HOW TO ROOT Droid 2 - IN DEPTH TUTORIAL

oswald57

Reaction score
After rooting

Hi,

Thank you so much for having detailed instructions for rooting my Droid 2 Global. I was one of the ones who had to pull the battery and root twice.

Now that I am rooted, do I need to return the USB Debugging and Unknown Sources:Allow Installation of Non-Market Apps to their original settings (DISABLED)? When enabling them, the warnings made mention that the phone may be open to attacks and such. Do you recommend any apps to prevent such attacks?

Thank you.

lawson1603

Reaction score
So i need some help i Root my D2 worked great might got ahead but try to install SQUID ROM and did the step and it rebooted and not it boots and stops at the red droid screen and starts over and over again. Anyhelp would be great

mjs1015

Reaction score
Turn off then hold power button and x until you see an exclamation point and android guy then press magnifying glass(if on froyo) or both volume buttons at the same time(if on gingerbread). This will take you to stock recovery. Then wipe data and cache. Hopefully that will do it.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

lawson1603

Reaction score
mjs1015: thanks for the help now my phone is acting normal but will not get service and is all blank?? any ideas

mjs1015

Reaction score
Did you activate your phone when you booted up for the first time? What do you mean blank?

ultrajounin

Reaction score
So how long should it take once you click the 'permanent root'? I've actually been waiting patiently for an hour. Its not frozen as the icon is still in motion and I see notification updates occur in the top bar.

I was told not to touch anything so I havent :)

Any thoughts?

thanks!

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
So how long should it take once you click the 'permanent root'? I've actually been waiting patiently for an hour. Its not frozen as the icon is still in motion and I see notification updates occur in the top bar.

I was told not to touch anything so I havent :)

Any thoughts?

thanks!

Use the back button to get out of it and try it again. I have had to do that up to 3 times to get it to work right.

When it works right, it will take about 1-2 minutes including reboot.

SSX v2.0

ultrajounin

Reaction score
How ironic, as soon as I hit back it did lock up - should I manually reboot?
EDIT - ok nevermind, it worked :)

louy99

Reaction score
Time to load a rom!

snowboardin180

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am new to this rooting idea. I just have a couple questions before I do it. I have read all your responses and you guys make it look easy I hope it is. With that said I just wanna know if you do this procedure and have a problem can you re-boot the phone so it is not rooted so when you go back to verizon they wont know it was rooted. If so would you be so kind to explain how. Thanks in advance for all the help and support.

jessrey

Reaction score
Worked perfectly for me.

I used the z4root method. Just some info for people who might not scour the older posts on this thread:

First time in, the apk I downloaded was no good. Couldn't get Astro to recognize it. Re-downloaded the apk and then it worked.

Next, it froze up at the message "Running exploit in order to obtain root access". As many of you suggested, I shut the phone down and pulled the battery before restarting it. After that the root worked.

Thanks all.

klh_5978

Reaction score
i am attepmting to root my d2 and have d2 bootstrapper on the phone. no option to install on sd card but when i hit bootstrap recovery a failure msg pops up: Error running exec(). Command: [su, -c, ./data/data.com.koushidutta.droid2.bootstrap/files/surunner.sh] working directoru" null Environment:null

WTF does this mean? and when i try to hit reboot recovery nothing happens. any help would be appreciated. THANKS!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i am attepmting to root my d2 and have d2 bootstrapper on the phone. no option to install on sd card but when i hit bootstrap recovery a failure msg pops up: Error running exec(). Command: [su, -c, ./data/data.com.koushidutta.droid2.bootstrap/files/surunner.sh] working directoru" null Environment:null

WTF does this mean? and when i try to hit reboot recovery nothing happens. any help would be appreciated. THANKS!!

Are you already rooted?

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No. didnt want to go further till i got this part resolved. JUST to be on the safe side. :/

You have to be rooted to be able to use the bootstrap because it needs SuperUser permissions.

This thread has been Thunder struck!!