is it rooted?

turnpike

Reaction score
ok i got my D2G and activated it, i'm heading back over to iraq and needed a better internet access.

so after 3 days of reading and searching i downloaded and installed z4root, copied it to the sd card, installed the app, and rooted the phone.

i have superuser now installed and everything is blank on the screens..but i cannot use the wireless tether for some missing root kernel and if i open z4root again it only says "root" no other options

so is the phone rooted or not?

also what is the next step i need to do so that i can delete all these extra misc apps that are installed.
i already paid pda.net for the full version access.

thanks in advance for any help

aDroidman

Reaction score
You seem to be rooted. What your missing a custom rom or image. This will give you the kernel that you need. If you download titanium backup from the market (free version works fine) it will tell you if you have root.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
T

turnpike

Reaction score
ok downloaded titanium backup it says

root access OK (busybox 1.17.2 from system)
hypershell (fast) NO
fast/auto app install NO
sq lite YES

so i would assume that i am indeed rooted, what would be the next step to delete all the extra factory applications?

i tried all the file managers i have (astro, files, management), and there is a uninstall button, but it does not appear to be highlighted

any recommendations for what rom to go with?

aDroidman

Reaction score
I have the droid 1 and I use bugless beast or ultimate droid. Im not 100% sure if they have a rom for the D2 but I think ultimate droid does.......

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
you can use TB to FREEZE the apps i wouldnt delete them bc when an update comes around the update will fale if those files arn't in the system so just use TB to freeze them and they will go away in the app drawer but can unfreeze them when the update comes to get it to work

Reaction score
Definitely don't delete the stock apps; As was mentioned, you can't get OTA updates without them. Also, you can't change kernels on a D2G, because of the locked bootloader. So you'll have to switch wireless tether apps. I use this one on my rooted D2G just fine.

OP
T

turnpike

Reaction score
tried to "freeze" the apps...found out that i need to purchase titanium backup.

ok i admit i'm a noob with the droid apps. when you purchase a app, how do you pay for it? it there a mobile version of paypal?

miketoasty

Reaction score
tried to "freeze" the apps...found out that i need to purchase titanium backup.

ok i admit i'm a noob with the droid apps. when you purchase a app, how do you pay for it? it there a mobile version of paypal?

You have to use Google Checkout. Once you sign up you should be okay but you should probably use a computer for the initial setup.
From what I have read they are experimenting charging your phone bill to make things easier but that is still in testing.