how to root 4.5.621/622 for Droid 2 a955 & Droid R2D2 a957

OP
themib

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
for basic SBF and RSD lite info read The DROID Wiki
First, where do i download all these tools like motorola drivers and RSDlite? Do i put them on my phone or my PC?
use pc, links are baked in text just click on name of file
moto drivers USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA
Third, Where do i enter this adb comman?
abd in command prompt start/search cmd.exe

easier to use iso img, don't need rsd, drivers or adb

slitaz boot img, like ezSBF
Droid2_D2G_DX_DX2-RootCD-2012.iso

has options for D2, D2G, DX, and DX2
burn to cd with imgburn, or for flash drive UNetBootin for Windows
restart pc boot to drive you mounted img to, cd drive or usb drive
some PCs will auto boot to slitaz, some you need to press F8 or esc and select drive
just follow on screen instructions

Fourth, If i am lucky enough to figure this thing out(which i doubt) what next? What version of software will be on my droid 2 now?
same version, rooting alone doesn't change that, rooting just gives you access to change system files/settings

edit: added links

links are baked in text just click on name of file

Last edited:

ldog70

Reaction score
Ok this is what i mean. I don't know how to download these files. To use this iso img thing do i have to download the unbooting for windows before i download the file to my flash drive? Plus, once i have done that you say to reboot my pc ok i can do that but what do you mean by i might have to hit f8 or esc to find the file? It will be on my flash drive can i not access it from there?

Also, if i manage to get this right, how do i flash back to an eairler software version? What would that version be and where do i go to find it?

OP
themib

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
I don't know how to download these files.

links are baked into text just click on name of file
To use this iso img thing do i have to download the unbooting for windows before i download the file to my flash drive?
yes you need that to correctly place image on flash drive
Plus, once i have done that you say to reboot my pc ok i can do that but what do you mean by i might have to hit f8 or esc to find the file? It will be on my flash drive can i not access it from there?
iso boots pc to linux system, it's a live image meaning, no changes are made to pc, remove cd or flash disk and pc reboots normally
how do i flash back to an eairler software version?
once on 4.5.621 you can never go back to earlier versions

edit: not all PCs support booting from flash drive, most newer PCs do

Last edited:

ldog70

Reaction score
Oh!!! I thought that was the purpose of rooting?? So even if i root the phone i can't replace 4.5.621 with anything else? I have certain apps that do not operate properly with this software version. Is there a chance i can find a droid 2 that has not been updated yet that i can root to avoid further updating?

OP
themib

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
the purpose of rooting is to changing system files
most people flash a custom rom like cm7

what apps, are not working, most likely, someone has found a work around
or they just work on cm7
a change in the locked bootloader, is what is keeping, phone from being compatible with earlier system versions
that can not be undone

edit: flashing a rom doesn't change base system version, because of the locked bootloader

you can find used D2s, on ebay, just ask seller what version is on phone

Last edited:
OP
themib

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
added more detailed instructions for muti device cd to op

kindness63

Reaction score
themib said:
added more detailed instructions for muti device cd to op

Hi i used the cd and it said im rooted thank you.only thing is i cant install a rom any ideas? Thanks

kindness63

Reaction score
kindness63 said:
Hi i used the cd and it said im rooted thank you.only thing is i cant install a rom any ideas? Thanks

Oh ps i have the new droid 2 2.3.4. 4.5.621a955 thanks

bhigham

Reaction score
You will need DROID 2 bootstrap, in order to access custom recovery

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

tnhillbilly81

Reaction score
please detail more

Can u please give me. Dummy directions. I know all the applicatiins you are talkkng about. I have rds lite and the root app. I have been having the same issues you were. Trying to root droid 2. I have tried all sorts of root applications. How do operate the rdslite?? Etc

Ojelola

Reaction score
Rooted and Band-Unlocked

Well, I not only got my phone rooted, but it is now band-unlocked so I can use USA GSM services, such as AT&T and T-Mobile. At first, I just rooted the phone. Yet, I wanted it band-unlocked, too. So I searched and got the help I needed. Details can be viewed in this discussion: Band Unlocking on D2G Sys 4.5.629 with Android 2.3.4 ? - Droid 2 / R2D2 / Milestone 2 / Droid 2 Global - RootzWiki

I flashed the ROM back to Froyo, using RSDLite, then used BEH's Recovery & Root CD. After that, I installed Droid 2 Bootstrapper, and used that to install TBH's Unlock.zip. Thoroughly read the referenced links in the discussion thread link above. The information is invaluably helpful.

NOTE: If you want to do this whole procedure and band-unlock your D2G, you must first SIM-unlock it by getting an unlock code from Motorola, Verizon, or a third party source (there are many on the internet).

Last edited:

aracely

Reaction score
Im trying to root my phone since i've read that this is the only way to retrieve deleted photos. Ive tried to use several ap but i get no where. Is there somewhere i can take it to get rooted? Im not a computer wizz here so any help tip ect. Is more then appropriated

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Im trying to root my phone since i've read that this is the only way to retrieve deleted photos. Ive tried to use several ap but i get no where. Is there somewhere i can take it to get rooted? Im not a computer wizz here so any help tip ect. Is more then appropriated
If the photos are on your SD card then all you need is a card reader and any of the free SD Card recovery programs. Recuva from here should work just fine: 6 Data Recovery Tools for SD Cards, USB Drives and More | PCWorld

Last edited: