[How TO] Restore VZW Galaxy Tab to stock DJ11

charliexx

Reaction score
So i'm going nuts with a Verizon galaxy tablet, i've done the privacy reset and delete all data, re-flashed with heim three times ( with all 4 files ) no sd card, and none of the data deletes, and new settings don't survive a reboot its like my internal SD card/flash is read only or something.
device was rooted but it was problematic

i've done all the cache clears, wipes, download firmwares i can find. and nothing.

any clues would be most helpful

charliexx

Reaction score
ok scratch that, i managed to get into debug mode and killed the bootloader, time to jtag this puppy. anyone got the raw image ?

technologic

Reaction score
I rooted / boot strapped my tab, then restored it back to stock using heimdall. The DJ21 update fails half way through. I also noticed that super user is still there.

Does restoring back to stock remove the ext4 partition?

How do I format the system partition before restoring stock via heimdall to get rid of super user in the app drawer?

I've rooted / installed many rom's on my D1, so I'm not new to custom roms, but I'm new to Samsung and heimdall. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

dafonse

Reaction score
I know its been a while on this but i tryed doing this today but when i run the zadig.exe and i click on the device theres nothing there.

I downloaded the verizon boot strap from the market and the tablet stays on samsung so im trying to flash this to stock but am new, coming from motorola droid so trying to learn tablet stuff lol, any help would be very appreciated.

AFAngryWarrior

Reaction score
Sticky!!

MODS really need to sticky this. I've used it a few times and if it gets lost in the threads it'll be hard to find if people need it.

Lycaon

Reaction score
Had to restore to stock last night. An update notice came in, and while I was backing up stuff, and renaming my bloatware back to their original names (updates fail otherwise), the phone restarted itself and went into an endless boot loop. I had root via z4root and other than renaming the bloatware packages to apk.bak I had nothing changed and no custom ROM installed.

I followed the directions exactly, but over the course of two hours the firmware upload would fail at various percentages. I got up to 92% once but most failed at 3% or 14%, when the USB connection would mysteriously disconnect and reconnect. Turns out that the USB extender cable was causing the upload to fail.

Some things I noticed:

The first upload takes the longest, up to a minute, but the other four should go extremely quick. Finally, boot into recovery mode and wipe the data and cache.

If you are on the Download Mode screen, you start the firmware upload, then your Tab restarts and goes to an image of a cell phone with a connection to a computer with a joining dotted line with a yellow ! sign on it, it is still in download mode. Continue the flash attempt according to the original post.

If you try to enter Recovery or Download Mode and you get the above mentioned screen image, continue flash attempt according to the original post. I believe it means there is no firmware to detect the volume buttons and show the correct mode, but this is just speculation.

The long boot up time after the successful flash is normal.

Hanging on the Verizon boot screen for more than 10 minutes is NOT NORMAL. Hold your hand on the Tab. If you feel it vibrate once (beginning of boot) and then double or triple vibrate a few seconds later (boot error), and it continuously repeats this pattern, power off, boot into Recovery, wipe data and cache partitions, then restart. If it still boot loops, retry the flash procedure in the original post.

/worship OP and whoever he stole the walkthrough from for the info. ;p

TL;DR:
Connect the Samsung USB adapter directly to the computer, no extenders, no hubs. I also later found out that stalls during the first upload at 41% 62% and 93% are normal.

Last edited:

Sal R.

Reaction score
Thank goodness for this...whew...!

On a side note, I seem to have retained root access after flashing the stock image.

Whaddaya know...

=)

48hughey

Reaction score
Last night, my tab was working great (rooted w/Clockwork Recovery, but nothing much else done). This morning, I woke up to my tab powered off (I usually leave it on). Upon powering it up, I found that it would not boot past the Samsung logo...

So, I have now tried this twice. Both times, the flash is successful, then the tab reboots, sits at the Samsung logo for 4-5 minutes before loading the VZW logo. It then sits there indefinitely. After powering off, I can get into recovery only after holding the volume up button for the 4-5 minutes it takes to get past the Samsung logo. However, even after wiping \data and \cache, it still gets stuck at the VZW logo (35 minutes and counting now...).

Any ideas? Is the flash/wipe combo good enough to let it pass "inspection" if I were to request a warranty replacement?

Last edited:

48hughey

Reaction score
OK, so I am pretty sure I need to repartition to RFS from EXT4, but every time I put the .pit file from this post into Heimdall, the Start button greys out. Help?!?

vzninja

Reaction score
Brand new vzw gtab

Hi all,

I just bought a verizon galaxy tab. Soon after purchasing it my girlfriend accepted to latest EC02 update before I was unable to root it and now of course z4 and super one click wont work. Will this tutorial work for me even though I did not have root prior to the update? Or is there another way to root EC02 without this method. Im hoping my gf didnt permanantly screw me out of rooting my tab.. Thanks in advance

Sal R.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought a verizon galaxy tab. Soon after purchasing it my girlfriend accepted to latest EC02 update before I was unable to root it and now of course z4 and super one click wont work. Will this tutorial work for me even though I did not have root prior to the update? Or is there another way to root EC02 without this method. Im hoping my gf didnt permanantly screw me out of rooting my tab.. Thanks in advance

Superoneclick works w/ the update.

toonvox

Reaction score
Trying this on a Verizon Galaxy Tab SCH-I800.

I tried this stock flash after attempting an install of Gingerbread. Everything seems to flash fine with Heimdall, but when it reboots, I get the "Galaxy Tab / Samsung" logo for a couple of seconds, then the screen gets a second of distorted video, then it goes blank. I'll hear twinkly sounds shortly after the screen goes blank, then nothing but a bootloop after a couple of minutes.

I cannot boot into recovery. I hold VolUp/Power, but the screen goes into that brief distortion and then inky blackness.

I tried flashing five times on two different PCs.

I'm desperate. Has anyone ever encountered this and how do I get my Tab back in functioning order? Thanks!

win1forgipp

Reaction score
Guys, I am stuck at a VZW bootloop. I get past SAMSUNG and on to the VZW logs. It vibrates once and seconds later 2 quick vibes then reboots the VZW logo. I followed the link below USING heimdall. I get zero errors and it reboots my tab. I wiped data/cache and still cant get past the VZW logo. Please, anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!

Gipp

w w w.droidforums.net/forum/samsung-galaxy-tab/113084-how-restore-vzw-galaxy-tab-stock-dj11.html

gtkansan

Reaction score
100% Identical Problem.... Help would be SOOO appreciated.

Someone else mentioned that doing a PIT file flash fixed the verizon booting, but which one? Im pretty new to Samsungs (Lord this is more complicated than HTC or Palm devices) so the HUGE number of versions/files is daunting.