How to replace droid keyboard?

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hopefully somebody has done this or knows how to do this...

I got a crack on the directional pad of my rubber keyboard and I want to replace it. Now I've seen replacement parts (i.e. the entire rubber keypad) for around $5 online and I'm just wondering how difficult it is to swap out. Just to clarify, I'm not trying to replace the actual keyboard, just the rubber overlay. The crack doesn't effect the function of the device, it just pisses me off that it has a crack now and I'm stuck with this device for the near future.

I read in another post that the rubber overlay is glued to the actual keyboard, is this correct? If so, can it just be pulled up and replaced without having to take the device apart? That would be ideal...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

brando56894

Reaction score
From what I see on my droid the outer rubber overlay is glued on but the keys are still individual and Im assuming the D-pad is also. You'd probably have to take the whole device apart (which is a major pain in the butt from what ive read) to replace the keyboard but then again I could be completely wrong.

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
From what I see on my droid the outer rubber overlay is glued on but the keys are still individual and Im assuming the D-pad is also. You'd probably have to take the whole device apart (which is a major pain in the butt from what ive read) to replace the keyboard but then again I could be completely wrong.

Hmmm, not sure. Judging by the look of the rubber piece I assumed it could be pulled up and removed without taking anything apart. If you pull up a corner you can clearly see the adhesive that's holding it down. I would go ahead a pull the damn thing off but it doesn't look like the replacement pads come with new adhesive and I don't have a clue what to use. Probably more trouble than its worth, I was just hoping somebody had torn one of these apart. I'll cross my fingers for somebody to jump in here...