How to remove possible trojan on droid 4

mommabear1313

Reaction score
Hello,
My son has been able to monitor his girlfriends conversations via her droid and her emails and i am afraid he may have added a little something to my droid when he fixed it recently. how would i remove it without even knowing what it is? Can I just give my droid a clean slate? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
What did he add? What is it doing or not doing that makes you believe it's infected? And chances are it may just be an air push ad. If it is just download an air push ad detecting app like Lookout ad network detector and run that. It'll tell you which app is giving you the problem and you can delete the app.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

OP
M

mommabear1313

Reaction score
I don't know if he added anything or if he could be using remote access instead of a trojan. I`m not having any problems yet but he is more than capable of snooping like this and there have been some indications that he knows something he shouldn't. I don't want to feel paranoid so I was hoping there was a way to purge him from my phone. I just got the Droid in March so there is nothing on it I would be worried about losing. Thanks forour help!

WallyIAm

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
A factory reset would delete all apps, correct?

The only other thing that could be a problem would be if he copied your email account settings, he could pull your email to his phone. Of course, he would need your password.

My condolences on your situation. Sounds like he's given you reason to question your trust in him.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
A factory reset would erase all user installed apps but not the preinstalled ones. All your email settings (passwords and accounts) would be erased too. You would be starting over just like the day you took it out of the box.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like you need to do a factory reset and then a reinstall of your apps from the Play store. If it's a hidden app there aren't any ways to see it that I know of unless you're rooted, and it sounds like you aren't.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes I would do a factory reset as well. It will wipe any user installed apps. Or download an Uninstaller app and uninstall any app you didn't install.

OP
M

mommabear1313

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for your assistance with this unfortunate issue. There are a few options on the web that describe how to do a factory reset but what do you suggest in this case?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for your assistance with this unfortunate issue. There are a few options on the web that describe how to do a factory reset but what do you suggest in this case?

Just go into Settings and use the option offered that way.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
Settings---- privacy------factory data reset. It even gives you the option to wipe out your sdcard.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

S

SFGate

Welcome to the site. Hope you got your phone working right. DancingNexus