From Blackberry Storm to Motorola Droid

BEReiter

Reaction score
Hello there! I am new here and wanted to introduce myself. I started into the smartphone sphere with a Blackberry Storm. I still have it but I really like my Droid. It is a challenge to find out how to do things. I still don't know how to move icons onto different parts of the desktop (from second "page" to first and third).

My son was the first one to get the Droid and he would always show me how much better it was than the Storm. When my other son destroyed his dumb phone, we told him for graduating with his Masters Degree we would buy him any phone he wanted and support it until he got a job (my wife's idea, not mine). He picked a Droid and I could not resist the Verizon two for one deal so here I am. Learning a new phone from the ground up.

I looking forward to answers to my questions. First one, what application works best to play avi and mp4 movies? Is VLC coming out for the Droid? and when is 2.2 coming out so we can play Flash movies??

Lots of questions. In return, if you have any questions in Geology let me know. I am a registered Geologist in four western states!

Later,

Bruce

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Bruce.

This is a great and very helpful forum. You can move icons from page to page by simply long pressing the icon and then sliding to edge of the screen and the droid will then move to the next screen. Slide your finger to the desired location and release. Viola!! Your icon is now on the new page.

BTW, congrats on the kid's graduation!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. The learning curve is pretty short-lived fortunately. The longpress on everything is one of them:) ie: longpress on the camera button to fire up the camera, longpress on the search button to bring up voice search, long press the home button to get your "alt tab" of recently used apps. Longpress to move icons around, including dragging them to the trashcan to remove them from the desktop (not delete them from the phone). Long press on the empty desktop to create folders, add widgets, etc.

RockPlayerBase Plays DivX, AVI, and Other Videos You Want on Android

?? - RockPlayer | Google ????

You will need to go into Settings/Applications and check off the box to allow unknown sources to be installed, as this app isn't in the market yet. It does exactly what you want, though still is in beta. wmv can replay slowly so I imagine they are working on that.