Trojan to Droid wirelessly?

Phoenix111

Reaction score
Dumb question here; so I tethered my Thunderbolt for my friend to his laptop last night. And today I find out he has something called the "fake alert" trojan on his laptop. Is it possible that because my phone was connected to his PC wirelessly that my phone or sd card could be infected as well? Just worried about it now.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
No, there aren't many Android trojans, and if it was a PC one, that definitely wouldn't harm Android.

Plus it'd have to be a pretty serious virus if you were just tethering and not downloading anything to the phone itself.

OP
P

Phoenix111

Reaction score
Thanks guys, so I shouldn't worry about plugging my sd card directly into my computer, then infecting my computer then right?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks guys, so I shouldn't worry about plugging my sd card directly into my computer, then infecting my computer then right?
I've never had of a virus being transferred through wireless alone. As long as your Droid didn't download anything then you should be good.

tommyg562000

Reaction score

I wouldnt say that. Just because it cant affect ur android device doesnt mean the package cant hurt ur windows machine. It is possible that the virus (or whatever it is) stored itseld on ur sd card and it waiting for the day u plug it in to ur comp. Bit of a stretch but entirely possible.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I wouldnt say that. Just because it cant affect ur android device doesnt mean the package cant hurt ur windows machine. It is possible that the virus (or whatever it is) stored itseld on ur sd card and it waiting for the day u plug it in to ur comp. Bit of a stretch but entirely possible.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
True, though most likely the file would have to be opened. Then again that means his phone would have to download something and unless his friend or the hacker had a way of controlling his phone without him knowing, I don't think there is a way to send a virus over a wifi signal.

If you are paranoid about it, you could format your SD card. Remember though, you'll lose everything.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
The truth is, anything is possible with viruses! The facts are, that there is probably a .01% chance that it would actually infect an SD card while tethering (not even file sharing, just tethering), then to have it automatically run when you connect it to a computer is also unlikely.
Like Dezy said though, if you're worried, format the card, but you'll lose everything.

OP
P

Phoenix111

Reaction score
I just wanted to bump this and see if anyone else had thoughts before I plug my phone back into my own computer. I just really don't want to have to format the sd card and lose data.