[HOW TO] Remove bloatware

RaptorX

Reaction score
Soo....what the hell is the name of the kindle app? I can't find anything that remotely looks like it might be it.

redding-7648-signed-zipped.apk

Its quite well disguised :/

Also,

com.vznavigator.DROIDX.apk is well what it seems.

harryj

Reaction score
I tried just adding an "X" after the current name (.apkx)
I noticed that after batt pull all were still there.
Can I assume that I MUST change name to .BAK?

Thx

wabmorgan

Reaction score
I would think you have to use a 3 letter file extension.

such as filename.abc or filename.apx or filename.xxx

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Soo....what the hell is the name of the kindle app? I can't find anything that remotely looks like it might be it.

Kindle is named redding-7648-signed-zipped.apk

You can find it here http://www.chadhaney.com/droidXDefault/516/

You won't see it in the list. You have to download the full zip and unzip it to a folder on your desktop. Don't ask me why it doesn't show up until then, I just know it does. The site is old and has the .516 and .604 version of files so I'm not responsible for what happens. I do believe they will update after installed.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks:)

LordShadowz

Reaction score
I have a quick question.

I hate the Verizon Bloatware, its one of the main reason I learned how to, and rooted my Droid X last night. I read this entire thread and renamed all the bloatware. I then shut down and rebooted.

Everything is gone except the one main thing I wanted gone. I hate it and now iyts tasking me !! lol The Blockbuster app. I have checked and rechecked and it is renamed to .bak just like all the other apps. The other apps are gone, but blockbuster runs. I have cycled power several times and did a battery pull. Its still there and still renamed blockbuster.bak

Any ideas ?

wabmorgan

Reaction score
Since you are rooted.... download Titanium backup. It will let you let you delete the blockbuster app. (You can also make a backup to re-install later if you want.) (Blockbuster is in the app market place anyway.)

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you choose to get Titanium BU, I definately suggest NOT uninstalling or deleting the Blockbuster, just freeze it. Most likely it will even take it out of your app drawer too.

If you need it for an update in the future getting it from the Market will do you no good. It would be just be another Market app and not a system app. Then you will find yourself looking for the apk so you can put it back in the system. Then you have to set permission and everything else.

JMO:)

kdkinc

Reaction score
I have a quick question.

I hate the Verizon Bloatware, its one of the main reason I learned how to, and rooted my Droid X last night. I read this entire thread and renamed all the bloatware. I then shut down and rebooted.

Everything is gone except the one main thing I wanted gone. I hate it and now iyts tasking me !! lol The Blockbuster app. I have checked and rechecked and it is renamed to .bak just like all the other apps. The other apps are gone, but blockbuster runs. I have cycled power several times and did a battery pull. Its still there and still renamed blockbuster.bak

Any ideas ?

look around and get the SBF file for the DX 2.2.
Find the RSD 4.9 tool.
Now look into some of the great Rom's that have none of the Crapware.:):)

Learn how to SBF the phone and you can always make your phone stock again....
Its really easy to do IF you follow directions. Heck if you rooted you've done the hard part!!
:icon_eek::icon_eek:

Reaction score
Hey guys, Linuxfag here, and I just did

ls *.apk > /sdcard/applist.txt

then I switched the phone over to Mass Storage and opened it up in Notepad and .... wait for it ... it's all on one line because it's in Linux Format. Any programs on the Windows side to easily convert? Or is there a utility on the DROID X that will do that?

I'm super excited cos I'm very comfortable in Linux but I assume the system running on the DROID X is very limited and not much like what I'm used to, which is RedHat, Solaris, and Ubuntu.

Reaction score
Great thread! Appreciate you all for the info that is posted in this thread and the site as a whole!

I rooted today and used this method (renaming) to start removing unwanted apps.

Just got rid of a few and seems like battery life is better already

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Montecarlo97z

Reaction score
is there a free app that freezes as well as titanium? the pro version only freezes apps and thats up to $6 now

Reaction score
I changed VoiceCommands along with a bunch of other apps to bak - when I unplugged from my PC - I had a FC for com.nuance.android.vsuite.vsuiteapp I ok'd it and it kept popping up. Did a google search for it and found this ....

HELPP!!! help needed with rooted Droid X

I did a reboot of the phone and no FC - I did not change the VoiceCommands back yet but just a heads up if anyone else experiences this ...

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
is there a free app that freezes as well as titanium? the pro version only freezes apps and thats up to $6 now

I'm not too sure Monte, don't think so. And I know it's gotten pretty pricey, it's very useful though. And in all honesty, I would prefer Root Explorer for a must have app over Titanium BU. Not sure how much Root Explorer is now, but you can rename the apps from .apk to .bak in Root Explorer instead of freezing them in TBU.

str0ntium

Reaction score
Removing Crapware.
So I go through the removing Crapware deal whats is going to do for me??
How much space is it going to gain me on my 8GB storage area ?
So some of the Crapware is parked on the warm up bench in my ram won't Android sent unused app's to the shower if Ram needs more space for active in the game app's?
I can understand the want to get rid of City id Or Block Bankruptcy but later on when things change eyeyones running looking for the apk's to replace the one they deleted or .bak.
Is it worth it?????
:icon_eek::icon_eek:

Combined with Deodexing, this maximizes the performance of the phone. At least, for me :icon_eek:

No lag. No battery drain. Win/Win.

timcredible

Reaction score
Hey guys, Linuxfag here, and I just did

ls *.apk > /sdcard/applist.txt

then I switched the phone over to Mass Storage and opened it up in Notepad and .... wait for it ... it's all on one line because it's in Linux Format. Any programs on the Windows side to easily convert? Or is there a utility on the DROID X that will do that?

I'm super excited cos I'm very comfortable in Linux but I assume the system running on the DROID X is very limited and not much like what I'm used to, which is RedHat, Solaris, and Ubuntu.
you want a program to convert from linux to windows text files? unix2dos will do that. i think it's still included in windows, although i haven't used windows in over a decade, so not sure, but if not, you can find it easily on internet