Removed Bloatware and its back???

hackja4fun

Reaction score
How come I changed the file name from .apk to .bak and i go in to change some more a month later and it says CityID.bak and above it there is a file called CityID.apk???

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did you update the phone software maybe?

OP
hackja4fun

hackja4fun

Reaction score
No i dont even have a custom ROM. I have a stock ROM with 928 Deodexeer glass theme. Im not to good with android yet but im trying.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's weird -- I would expect it to come back if you had accepted the OTA update that happened a few weeks back.

Rename it again and see what happens. I bet it stays disappeared.

OP
hackja4fun

hackja4fun

Reaction score
I just renamed them all now. Do u think its safe to delete one of them?
Also could u point me in the direction so I can change the text on that picture so that it does not say my theme name?
snap20101104_233124.png

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're probably safe deleting the original -- if I were you, I'd move it to the SD card and keep it as a backup, just in case.

Let me see if I can find a link to the Pulldown Editing guide.

OP
hackja4fun

hackja4fun

Reaction score
I backed out of root explorer and went back in and it was gone. There was only one after renaming them the same thing. Oh yea sorry im full of questions. Can I put any ROM on my DX now that the theme i put on here said it deodexed it or if I remove the theme will it undeodex. I need a BIG guide lol

bcals0087

Reaction score
Once it's deodexed, your fine. Any rom that your going to install is going to be put over what you have already, or will be wiped fresh. Either way, any rom will overwrite the framework-res and services.jar file that make up most of all the themes out there. The only issue if your installing a Rom over what you have now, is that some apps will still have the BGX theme, and some won't. In that case, use root explorer, and delete any duplicates that might be there.

Edit: Also, that extra bloatware probably came when you installed the theme. Even though you renamed yours on your phone, the theme you installed consists of just about every app in your /system/app folder, but themed.

OP
hackja4fun

hackja4fun

Reaction score
Oh ok thanks im trying to learn as much as I can. Do you have a recomendation for a ROM on the DX?

bcals0087

Reaction score
no problem, everyone starts somewhere. Right now i'm running Tranquility 3.0. By far this is my favorite. I've tried rubix blurry and focused, apex, fly x, and SSX. All were nice, if I had to pick one besides tranquility it would be Rubix. Make sure you know what your installing though, especially if it's a blurless rom. A lot of the features that you might be used to/like on your phone now may not be available on roms like Rubix focused, apex, and fission. These roms are as close as you'll get to an aosp rom for the X. SSX has a great look to it, and a lot of detail was definitely was put into it by the dev, but it slowed the performance of my phone, and my battery didn't do too well. Although it's like a theme and a rom all in one with SSX. I chose Tranquility because of it's convenience of not having to wipe my data. It is also very responsive, and my battery does well. What you need to do is make a backup of what you have, hopefully you made a backup of your unthemed stock rom but oh well if you didn't. Then start installing whichever roms you'd like to try. Give em a few days to a week, see how you like it, if you truly hate it, flash your backup. Do that until you find something that suits you. Hope you enjoyed this haha, my .02

OP
hackja4fun

hackja4fun

Reaction score
Thanks so much thats alot to type lol. I did make a backup before i deodexed it and I will use the same ROM as u more than likely cause I dont want to have to redownload all my apps back. Handcent took me forever to get to what I wanted it to be

bcals0087

Reaction score
Sounds good, give it a whirl. Just so you know before hand that Tranquility will install an mms.apk in your /system/app folder, so your going to want to pay attention if you get double text messages. I'm not positive because I don't use handscent, but I put the original messaging app back on the phone to use and disabled the mms.apk. It may take a day for your phone to settle in to it also, i noticed that. I had a couple force closes in the beginning, but that doesn't happen anymore.

OP
hackja4fun

hackja4fun

Reaction score
Cool thanks man. The root-ed shoutbox in the market could use ur help sometimes.