How to make battery last longer...

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Wait so the droid x isn't locked? I'm so confused.. I was so uninterested in the droidx with its locked bootloader that I never cared to figure out what all the problems were... is it just that you have to run the stock kernel?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Wait so the droid x isn't locked? I'm so confused.. I was so uninterested in the droidx with its locked bootloader that I never cared to figure out what all the problems were... is it just that you have to run the stock kernel?

Yes it is locked. I was trying to be more universal and generic in my response. I wish it weren't.. :(

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
A little app called "autostarts"... disable ANYTHING before or after you open anything. I disable all the nonsense that starts after boot and that's it.

No task killers, no battery profiles. I pull 17-18 hours consistently with the OEM Moto EB, everything on and hard core usage.

I see no benefit to have a app running plus extra services just to "try" and stop other apps from running. :)

Great app, give it a shot.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Stopping an app from even starting is pointless, if you're on the droid x then it means your nand-locked. So your app that stopps apps from starting is just killing them on boot... since you can't remove the apps or anything like that.

I would just remove the auto app starter thing, it would prbably increase boot time. & I know its probably hard to understand this but android can use 0% cpu when a process is suspended to memory.

I'm not reffering to stopping the apps... I'm reffering to the multiple services that just run in the background for those "just in case" it needs it type thing. ALL apps I didn't want or use have been removed VIA system mount and Root Explorer including any trace of Verizon garbage not needed.

The point of autostarts is to not allow connecting service to run. ie.. when you turn on or open something it will invoke multiple services they "may" be used. For example, at boot I have no reason for Bluetooth share, market, or the service for endgadet to be running. They can start when I NEED them, not just because. It is not a task or app killer, it is a extended functional arm for managing services.

And its impact on the boot time is "faster" because most of the things that normally start are not.

:)

Has no benefit but it has negligble harm, so you can do whatever you want.

Those apps don't "run" in memory, they are loaded into memory and reside there in a fully dormant state until they are called upon to run or are killed and replaced with higher priority processes by androids auto memory management system; dormamt apps in memory do not consume any battery and load faster when they become active, therefore there is no point in stopping them from being there... however, if its an app you never use and then run it once, the difference between it starting from a dormant state in memory vs starting from a first run state not in memory, is negligible. But on android, free memory is wasted memory.. so like I said, there is really no benefit to preventing apps to get loaded into memory to sit their dormantly. Android is not like windows, what your doing is not like typing "msconfig" in run cmd and reducing startup processes because those run actively... big difference. The android memory management system is very sophisticated and requires no user intervention. The best thing you can do is completely eliminate any apps that constantly fetch data or run actively. Any form of task killer, or auto start thing, is either counter-productive or has no real benefit.

{{ WugFresh }}

DroidTh3ory

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.th3oryrom.com
Stopping an app from even starting is pointless, if you're on the droid x then it means your nand-locked. So your app that stopps apps from starting is just killing them on boot... since you can't remove the apps or anything like that.

I would just remove the auto app starter thing, it would prbably increase boot time. & I know its probably hard to understand this but android can use 0% cpu when a process is suspended to memory.

I'm not reffering to stopping the apps... I'm reffering to the multiple services that just run in the background for those "just in case" it needs it type thing. ALL apps I didn't want or use have been removed VIA system mount and Root Explorer including any trace of Verizon garbage not needed.

The point of autostarts is to not allow connecting service to run. ie.. when you turn on or open something it will invoke multiple services they "may" be used. For example, at boot I have no reason for Bluetooth share, market, or the service for endgadet to be running. They can start when I NEED them, not just because. It is not a task or app killer, it is a extended functional arm for managing services.

And its impact on the boot time is "faster" because most of the things that normally start are not.

Has no benefit but it has negligble harm, so you can do whatever you want.

Those apps don't "run" in memory, they are loaded into memory and reside there in a fully dormant state until they are called upon to run or are killed and replaced with higher priority processes by androids auto memory management system; dormamt apps in memory do not consume any battery and load faster when they become active, therefore there is no point in stopping them from being there... however, if its an app you never use and then run it once, the difference between it starting from a dormant state in memory vs starting from a first run state not in memory, is negligible. But on android, free memory is wasted memory.. so like I said, there is really no benefit to preventing apps to get loaded into memory to sit their dormantly. Android is not like windows, what your doing is not like typing "msconfig" in run cmd and reducing startup processes because those run actively... big difference. The android memory management system is very sophisticated and requires no user intervention. The best thing you can do is completely eliminate any apps that constantly fetch data or run actively. Any form of task killer, or auto start thing, is either counter-productive or has no real benefit.

{{ WugFresh }}

Well, we learn something new everyday.. :).

I always assumed like "most" systems running services inhabit memory. I was not aware that the said services lay dormant.

Thanks for the info.

Thumbs up!!

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
No problem :)

I definitely thought the exact same thing you did and use to run the app startup manager, but after researching how android actually manages its memory, I became aware that it was pointless, its hard not to compare android to other computer technology you are familiar with, I totally understand.

{{ WugFresh }}

DroidTh3ory

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.th3oryrom.com
No problem :)

I definitely thought the exact same thing you did and use to run the app startup manager, but after researching how android actually manages its memory, I became aware that it was pointless, its hard not to compare android to other computer technology you are familiar with, I totally understand.

{{ WugFresh }}

With that being the case.... I'm sure alot or people have spent a ton of money on Task Killing apps for no reason. Lol.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Task killers are usually the first app people get because they're only app on the market that gives unrooted users the false sense that they have control over the android OS. Its only until they root do they truly learn how everything works.

{{ WugFresh }}

MrKleen

Reaction score
Back when the original Droid came out I was having issues with the phone. I went in to Verizon and of course they were pushing task killers as the solution. So at that time I like many became addicted to killing apps... :)

It wasn't until early January when I rooted my phone and loaded my first custom rom that I realized the problem was the software not apps needing killed. Prior to 2.1 being released the only thing that saved my phone from going back was custom roms...

But the mis-information from Verizon got alot of people started with these app killers. And once you get someone started with something, it's tough getting them to quit.

Those addicted to app killers wont stop until they hit rock bottom. They won't quit until they are ready to quit. But when they do, they will have to take it "one day at a time". They may have the urge every 10 minutes to hit "kill", but at some point they have to surrender to a power greater than themselves.... Either that or put a rubber band around their wrist and snap it every time they have the urge to use an app killer.

Even if they are able to get past killing apps they may feel the need to replace that void in their life with something like EATING too much. Then they will gain weight and balloon up to the point they will need to go on a tv show like "the biggest losers". Their lives may fall apart and their families may end up leaving them... "which would be bad".

So for some it may just be best to continue on killing apps in moderation. A "social" app killer so to speak.

I am sorry for the poor attempt at "app killing addiction" humor... Those that are approached by someone to use an app killer for the first time should "Just Say No"!

sorry again.

DroidTh3ory

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.th3oryrom.com
Root Explorer is what does it for me. LOL...

They should rename that app to "God Complex".

naknak95

Reaction score
I recently bought the Seidio 2600 mAh extended battery for my Droid X and it makes a big difference. Also I would recommend downloading a couple apps like Automatic Task Killer (Kills Apps in background) and Green Power FREE (Turns 3g off when the screen is off).

Hope this helps everyone :)

OP
AngelGears

AngelGears

Reaction score
I admit im a bit of a noob. I cant edit my first post with this app but lets just post things here that do work! When I get on my computer I will edit my first post.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I admit im a bit of a noob. I cant edit my first post with this app but lets just post things here that do work! When I get on my computer I will edit my first post.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Yes you can, long click on the original post.

Sent from my Fissioned D2G

naknak95

Reaction score
Also I would recommend downloading a couple apps like Automatic Task Killer (Kills Apps in background)

Eer, no..........

~John

I know some people don't like Task Killer Apps, but I really haven't had problems with the Automatic one, just the Advanced Task Killer. It does vary on your phone, but it works fine on Motorola Droid 1, 2 and X

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Also I would recommend downloading a couple apps like Automatic Task Killer (Kills Apps in background)

Eer, no..........

~John

I know some people don't like Task Killer Apps, but I really haven't had problems with the Automatic one, just the Advanced Task Killer. It does vary on your phone, but it works fine on Motorola Droid 1, 2 and X

The reason its said not to use them is 2 fold. 1) android past (iirc) 2.1 has one already built in and its more efficient than any 3rd party one will ever be. 2) because most people set them to kill EVERYTHING not just something that is freezing up which drains battery by the program reloading it, being killed, reloaded, and so on. I use the built in one if i have to because something is frozen (generally my music app because its been playing for 2 days straight on the weekends) or if something just refuses to close (like the photobucket app...).
Sent from my Fissioned D2G