Battery Update..

Fizban22

Reaction score
Alright so i let my phone die, charged it to 100, let it die, then charged it for a full 24 hours and took it off today...

5 hours later and its about 40-50% left...

im telling you, the battery life wasnt nearly this bad until i did that update a couple days ago...
before i got 20-25 horus without a charge, now im lucky to get 12...

im thinking however, that it could be my charger. I havent used the charger that came with the phone yet, rather ive used the Motorola Desk Cradle since ive gotten the phone. I noticed today also that the battery runs a little hot after using it for a little bit (also just put one of those hard silicone cases on there too, but i dont think that would affect it).

is it perhaps the desk cradle that just doesnt charge it well?

the only differneces ive made to my phone since updating it is 1) i deleted my app killer (told it hurt the phone more than it helped). and 2) i downloaded the weather channel app, however i do NOT have it up as a widget.

Anybody else having problems with the cradle charger/battery life since the update?

let me know what you think because this battery life issue is really starting to fustrate me greatly

OP
F

Fizban22

Reaction score
nothing really just your usual stuff...

texting, checking some email.
i didnt even use the brower or anything all day.

avt123

Reaction score
I've got the charging dock and no problems here. Took it off the charger at 8am, 7:07pm now and have 80% left.

stryguy

Reaction score
Yeah 50% loss of battery for some texting and checking email is not remotely right.

One of my 2 droid x's had a bad battery and was just like you described. On that phone I could turn the phone off, take the battery out and put it back in and miraculously the battery would gain 30 or 40% charge.

I finally got pissed enough I went back to the Verizon store and made them replace the battery (which they did). All was fixed.

Thankfully I knew to do this because my other phone (my wife's) would last well over a day on a single charge and the kids would play games on it for hours. I was lucky to get 8 hours of standby.

OP
F

Fizban22

Reaction score
alright i just got a new battery from verizon...

im going to let it die, charge it (phone turned off) till it gets to 100 then turn it on and charge it another hour after that, let it die, repeat (a total of 3 full charge cycles)

you think it will be alright by then?

ninjabox

Reaction score
Don't let it keep dieing. That not good for a lithium ion battery. You should try and only let it go down to about 50% and then charge it. Then probaly every other week let it die once itf possible, but not dead like you cant turn your phone on. Just low like 10% or 5%.

ffej89

Reaction score
Something you may want to check also. I didnt realize this until it was pointed out to me but my phone has something like smart charge. What this does when i charge my phone it charges to full and stops charging so it dont over charge. So when i take my phone off the charger it may be at 90% (its always different). Now when i know i'm gonna be leaving i take my phone off charge and recharge for 10min before i go. My phone is the Evo but it may be the same on the X (not sure). Worth a look

stryguy

Reaction score
#1 - Lithium Ion batteries will not allow themselves to be discharged past their voltage threshold. You can have no fear of running your phone until it dies. It turns off the device at 2.7 volts/cell which is well above the 2.27 volts/cell that will damage these batteries.

#2 - You cannot condition the battery BUT.. A full discharge/charge will reset the digital circuit of a 'smart' battery to improve the state-of-charge estimation.

Finally.. Got a voltmeter? Set it to millivolts and pop the battery out when it's at 50%. 50% on this battery should be 3800 mV. About 4200 mV is max charge. Don't trust the mV listed in your phone, it's not getting the actual voltage of the battery but what the battery circuitry is reporting. If your phone is reporting something far different then your voltmeter then the battery is bad. (most likely)