How to maintain root through any upgrade (Motorola Devices Only) from P3Droid

gmorgan056

Reaction score
This is strictly from P3Droid, i'm just passing on the information:

How to maintain root through any upgrade (Motorola Devices Only)
Doing the following will allow your device to maintain root through any upgrade (unless motorola changes things)

I use root explorer, but you can also use adb pull and push.

RootExplorer Method

go to /system/bin/
open in text editor - mount_ext3.sh
add the following lines to the very bottom

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

ADB method

adb pull /system/bin/mount_ext3.sh
open the file in your favorite text editor
add the following lines to the very bottom

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk​
Save file

adb push mount_ext3.sh /data/local
adb shell
mount -o rw,remount /dev/null /system
cat /data/local/mount_ext3.sh > /system/bin/mount_ext3.sh
chmod 777 /system/bin/mount_ext3.sh

Done!!!

This method was proposed by Djrbliss, and only slightly altered by me...please thank @DjrBliss on Twitter.

Here's the source link:

How to maintain root through any upgrade (Motorola Devices Only)

Thanks P3Droid!​

NoahNoise

Reaction score
Does this allow for the update to be integrated, or does this just make the update "pass by" your Droid? It seems like there are some things in the Nov update that might be valuable, even to rooted users...

brandon9559

Reaction score
Does this allow for the update to be integrated, or does this just make the update "pass by" your Droid? It seems like there are some things in the Nov update that might be valuable, even to rooted users...

It is my understanding that doing this method allows you to take an OTA update and retain root

OP
gmorgan056

gmorgan056

Reaction score
It is my understanding that doing this method allows you to take an OTA update and retain root
Agreed. Here's P3Droid's exact tweet:

lR8x7fyO_normal

P3Droid P3Droid

Important: Rd this now! Romers/Themers especially..How to maintian root through a Motorola update every time

This makes me believe that this is for the OTA updates.

Zane_Grey

Reaction score
Agreed. Here's P3Droid's exact tweet:

lR8x7fyO_normal

P3Droid P3Droid

Important: Rd this now! Romers/Themers especially..How to maintian root through a Motorola update every time

This makes me believe that this is for the OTA updates.

It says that you need to be stock for the OTA. As in bloated and everything. This will just hopefully maintain root after the OTA.

NoahNoise

Reaction score
Lucky me so far, then. I haven't flashed to a ROM yet, and I've gone the simple route and frozen (rather than uninstalled) much of the bloat.

So would it be best to unfreeze apps in anticipation of the OTA? I followed one of the more sparse lists found here, and I didn't freeze the FOTA as some recommend. I HAVE frozen the various VZW Apps (Music, Video, Social).

Maybe I should just unfreeze everything once the update time draws near, just to keep it simple?

jayman350

Reaction score
sounds great, only problem for me is that I got sick of frozen apps reattaching themselves to the market and auto-updating, so I uninstalled them.

I do have a bone stock backup that I can restore and change the file on that one, then when the ota comes I can restore that backup and apply the update.

do we know if this can be deodexed, or does it need to have the odex stuff there?

tbell6

Reaction score
Need help, I can make the changes but can not save them. Obviously I'm missing something. Are there "assumed" steps that I missed?

OK, found it.
LOL, forgot to Mount R/W.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited:

wooddale

Reaction score
Should we do this now or wait unyil update gets closer? Does it hoof snything else up?

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I dont have one thing wrong so I dont think I want any update. On the Tbolt those updates just kept making things worse!

Cinoib

Reaction score
I dont have one thing wrong so I dont think I want any update. On the Tbolt those updates just kept making things worse!

I'm rooted & SqLited. The only part of an ota I want is the fix that lets me watch nfl games on the big screen. I do privately wonder though if the ota would allow me to do that. I believe that jam is intentional. So I don't know if I want the ota.

I've had a few problems with the Bionic but overall I am most happy as long as I can stay rooted & hacked.

Titanium Backup has worked for freezing and thawing apps. I guess what I'm saying here is that if it's not broke I won't fix it with an ota. That said if the ota gives me espn's Monday Night game, I might unroot, take the ota, and try to reroot.

But even then, given Moto's ota history with other ota's, I just don't think I'll take the ota.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

wooddale

Reaction score
The OTA"s on the Thunderbolt were mostly from the Devs they werent offical. There still isnt a offical ota for gingerbread. The biggest ptoblembwas with the radios which didntbaffec tobdo with radiost allphones I till dont have a problem. The Bioni on the other hand has a definet problem which I think also has to do with radios or 4G. Either way not havinga data connection is a problek which needd to be adressed.

droidxjay

Reaction score
I can confirm this is working fine, as I just used it to upgrade to 5.5.893

a6f84759-c7c5-b96b.jpg
a6f84759-c7de-3d25.jpg
a6f84759-c7eb-0d92.jpg
a6f84759-c800-a8ee.jpg

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk