How to keep root after Kitkat update?

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
I have read so many threads and now I am so confused. I read you can use SuperSu OTA Survival and another that OTA Survival makes Kitkat ota fail. I also read that people have ended up with bricks. I would be glad if someone was able to keep root. Google is really starting to mess up Android with their patches.

Edit: I installed the update successfully over a week ago. I don't really care about keeping root. All I used root for was for Titanium Backup. I found Helium Backup but it would still be nice to have root to fix the sd card patch that Google made to prevent apps from writing to the sd card.

OP
droideddie13

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
Never mind I will just remove root and update. All I use root for is to use Titanium Backup.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Good idea!
I've never trusted any app that claims you can keep root while taking an OTA update. It's simply too risky imo. For years the standard operating procedure was to return your device to stock before taking ANY OTA, or risk serious issues. (i.e. brickage, bootloops, etc) If you took the time to learn how to root your device, you should have also taken the time to learn how to safely return your device to stock, which it appears you have. (again, just my opinion) Your other option is to wait for developers to take that latest OTA update and update their particular Rom and/or stock root image. (My personal preferred method)

Good luck with your update & let us know how you make out. :thumbup:

tap'n

OP
droideddie13

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
Good idea!
I've never trusted any app that claims you can keep root while taking an OTA update. It's simply too risky imo. For years the standard operating procedure was to return your device to stock before taking ANY OTA, or risk serious issues. (i.e. brickage, bootloops, etc) If you took the time to learn how to root your device, you should have also taken the time to learn how to safely return your device to stock, which it appears you have. (again, just my opinion) Your other option is to wait for developers to take that latest OTA update and update their particular Rom and/or stock root image. (My personal preferred method)

Good luck with your update & let us know how you make out. :thumbup:

tap'n

OK I got rid of root. My phone is now 100% stock no frozen apps no custom settings nothing like that. I took the update and it failed right when it started and rebooted my phone. Is there a way to solve this? I don't want to factory reset without root or reflash my phone. I have to admit I am pretty scared to reflash my phone.

OP
droideddie13

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
OK I got rid of root. My phone is now 100% stock no frozen apps no custom settings nothing like that. I took the update and it failed right when it started and rebooted my phone. Is there a way to solve this? I don't want to factory reset without root or reflash my phone. I have to admit I am pretty scared to reflash my phone.

Never mind I just received OTA this morning and I am downloading.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Hello Mr Nevermind.... Did the update install ok?