How to improve the Nexus battery

benz0

Reaction score
I came from a RAZR Maxx and tried mutilple Roms. I pratcialy had to turn off my data to make it through a lil over half a at work day! But ran into BAMF 2.2 and that ROM is a beast for battery! With other ROMs, even with data turn off, I still lose 15-25% idle through the night till morning. With the BAMF 2.2 I was able to lose only 5% on ilde, give or take 5 more (data off). I can actually leave 4g on for the whole work day now! :)

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I came from a RAZR Maxx and tried mutilple Roms. I pratcialy had to turn off my data to make it through a lil over half a at work day! But ran into BAMF 2.2 and that ROM is a beast for battery! With other ROMs, even with data turn off, I still lose 15-25% idle through the night till morning. With the BAMF 2.2 I was able to lose only 5% on ilde, give or take 5 more (data off). I can actually leave 4g on for the whole work day now! :)

Yep, BAMF Paradigm ftw!

Capone76

Reaction score
benz0 said:

I tried BAMF and it was good. But I've been running the new JBSourcery with Franco milestone 5 stable kernel and have amazing battery along with beautiful customized options. Maybe I should give BAMF another run though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums

billyk

Reaction score
Only real way to improve the Nexus battery is to root and flash a ROM & kernel.

Stock battery life is pretty mediocre. Even if you turn off everything automatic.

Hey Dezy:
Since you've been through a bunch of ROMs, which one are you using now? Which would you suggest for best stability and battery life?

I am using Bugless Beast now, with Franco's r241 "nightly" kernel. 100% stable, but battery life could be better.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hey Dezy:
Since you've been through a bunch of ROMs, which one are you using now? Which would you suggest for best stability and battery life?

I am using Bugless Beast now, with Franco's r241 "nightly" kernel. 100% stable, but battery life could be better.
Right now I am on AOKP JB1 with Trinity kernel. Excellent battery life and completely stable.

I haven't had much luck with Franco's kernel when it came to battery life, ever. I tried all the nightlies and all the stable builds, for some reason the idle was always horrible on my device. I tried lean kernel, which showed some improvement, but so far I have been completely happy with Trinity kernel. Not to mention Trinity has given me the best battery life, so I've stuck with it for a couple months so far.

I was on JBSourcery v2 before I flashed AOKP and that was a great great ROM. Battery life was good on it, but I am getting better battery life on AOKP right now.

As for stability, all the ROMs I've tried with AOSP JB have all been stable. I ran JBSourcery for 2 weeks before AOKP dropped. I'm happy with AOKP, but I'll give it another 2 weeks before I decide to make it my "daily" ROM. For now I got JBSourcery on backup to flash at anytime, but so far so good with AOKP.

Try different kernels, but give it about 3 days before you really see some real battery life changes. Alot of people swear they get great battery life with Franco, and I do believe them, but it just didn't work my for device/use. For me, personally, I've been using Trinity kernel as I haven't found one that works better with my phone.

billyk

Reaction score
Dezy:
Very cool. Thanks for the info.

I know of JBSourcery and AOKP. I'll check 'em out.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Dezy:
Very cool. Thanks for the info.

I know of JBSourcery and AOKP. I'll check 'em out.
Both are quality ROMs, recommend you check them both out. What works for my Nexus may not work the same on yours.

Have fun!

billyk

Reaction score
Hey Dezy:
I purchased the Trinity app and flashed the Trinity kernel. Here are some questions:
- Do you use the "stable" or the experimental kernel?
- There are a batch of kernel options in the app for download - I first used the faster kernel with slower GPU (1536 CPU, 307 GPU), then found my GNex getting hot. So I flashed the slower kernel (1344 CPU, 307 GPU), which is still faster than the basic Franco kernel. Each of these kernel says "For Nexus Prime" in the app, but Nexus Prime/Galaxy Nexus. Probably a weird app behavior? I have to compare detailed file names to confirm that I have the right kernel files.
- The Trinity kernel defaults to, and then resets on reboot to OnDemand governor. Isn't this the governor that is worse for battery life?

I do have to say that the default color balance on Trinity appears to be very nice. Punchy colors and purer whites.
Time will tell if

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hey Dezy:
I purchased the Trinity app and flashed the Trinity kernel. Here are some questions:
- Do you use the "stable" or the experimental kernel?
- There are a batch of kernel options in the app for download - I first used the faster kernel with slower GPU (1536 CPU, 307 GPU), then found my GNex getting hot. So I flashed the slower kernel (1344 CPU, 307 GPU), which is still faster than the basic Franco kernel. Each of these kernel says "For Nexus Prime" in the app, but Nexus Prime/Galaxy Nexus. Probably a weird app behavior? I have to compare detailed file names to confirm that I have the right kernel files.
- The Trinity kernel defaults to, and then resets on reboot to OnDemand governor. Isn't this the governor that is worse for battery life?

I do have to say that the default color balance on Trinity appears to be very nice. Punchy colors and purer whites.
Time will tell if
I'm on stable build (1344, 307mhz) or something like that.

You can definitely choose the right governor, but I leave it on OnDemand, seems to do it's own thing quite well with battery life. Feel free to experiment and report back with any findings. There's the option to set your own speeds "on boot", but I just left it as is, along with the voltage.

The colors on Trinity is the main reason why I flashed it. The colors are more "true" imo, everything just seems more accurate. I noticed with many other kernels that there appears to be a light white "filter" on it compared to Trinity. You can change the color/gamma of all other kernels, but I never really tried, laziness on my part.